HighSide at Mosport - Aug 17 | Page 4 | GTAMotorcycle.com

HighSide at Mosport - Aug 17

I saw one of them crash out and ruin my session as he passed me in the wet. I knew my limits. He ate the grass. Had he passed me on the inside I would have gone down as well... I raced DH bikes and he almost hit me. At hi speed I am calm and comfortable. I am used to having rocks,trees and other scrapping my elbows as I hold a line. This kids may have had skill but lacked the experience to know it was not worth the pass on a green group track day...

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com

I am sure you can agree you have had many times you could pass someone but said to yourself it not worth it and wait for a better chance. They passed as is we were the difference in the championship points and put it all out there

It sounds like them being able to pass you is bothering you, if you are there to learn check the ego at the door, otherwise you are in for a lot of butt hurt

Omg look at the pics. This is not an ego thing

3720d72204b7c8ae86b877220d9f6144.png
09b325dd2e8ebaceddff7feb54dbb777.png
d8af05779c6edde2860f9b8925fa5768.png

Maybe they did not load. Attempt #2 at loading these

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com mobile app

I had to move to the right to give him space

Those marshals are not doing their jobs, track days are not race days and rules should be enforced, they are to keep 'everyone' safe (fast, faster and fastest riders)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It sounds like them being able to pass you is bothering you, if you are there to learn check the ego at the door, otherwise you are in for a lot of butt hurt

this is a track day for green group. this may be a riders first td. a person learning shouldn't have to worry about being buzz bombed. I wouldn't blame the 300 guys, they're practicing for a national roadrace. The td organizers need to re-think this situation. it is an unsafe situation-bottom line.

Last edited:
I dont know what happened and never commented on weather it was safe or not, you are right about organizers controlling the situation, and maybe not letting racers into the green group.
My comment on the ego still stands tho, he was saying he was zooming past these guys on the straight right after, if I get passed I take it as a learning opportunity.
If you think someone is being unsafe you should talk to the marshals at the end of the session.
I wouldn't advise anyone to do their first ever trackday at Mosport on the Thursday before a race weekend tho.

I dont know what happened and never commented on weather it was safe or not, you are right about organizers controlling the situation, and maybe not letting racers into the green group.
My comment on the ego still stands tho, he was saying he was zooming past these guys on the straight right after, if I get passed I take it as a learning opportunity.
If you think someone is being unsafe you should talk to the marshals at the end of the session.
I wouldn't advise anyone to do their first ever trackday at Mosport on the Thursday before a race weekend tho.

a poster mentions talking to a marshall after the session, it was shrugged off...the organizer has no business sending licenced racers out in green group.
this is not acceptable for safety reasons, regardless of any argument..

^^^^^. This was my first time to Mosport and I loved it but know for next time the rules are very flexible

^^^^^. This was my first time to Mosport and I loved it but know for next time the rules are very flexible

at gbm they warn td riders beforehand that on fridays you will be out with racers and you must be comfortable being passed in close quarters. simply giving this info allows riders to make a decision ahead of time..

I am fine with getting passed. Even stayed with the ones that were not on slicks. But Livewir3 posted his crash and I wish him a fast recovery and have learned something from every time out on a track and that is why I go

I am fine with getting passed. Even stayed with the ones that were not on slicks. But Livewir3 posted his crash and I wish him a fast recovery and have learned something from every time out on a track and that is why I go

ok. my point is that td riders are given a heads up BEFORE they register. this didn't happen at mosport thurs, not even in the riders meeting. no one signs up for green group expecting to be with racers - thurs before a national or not..

Last edited:
I agree boyoboy. My buddy that runs in the red group said that the green may be more of a intermediate/red then a true green. But at the track they just said no passing and first run out we get a leader. So you are totally correct

Two things first. I'm glad your okay man and the fall wasn't worse also I don't ride track so maybe I'm speaking out of turn.

But, calm down out there man. It seemed from the video you were thinking more about what was going on around you then actually riding the bike. Now I do ride mx a lot so I know what it's like to have a lot traffic around and varying skill levels. Focus on you and your lines, looking around your bound to do something unexpected thinking your doing the person behind you a favour and next thing you know both of you are in the same spot at the same time...not good. Hold your lines and try to be smoother. I say smoother because your downshifts and some upshifts both seemed jerky.

With the crash all I got is maybe hit up a flat track school so you will be comfortable with the bike getting a bit loose so in the future you can manage a bit of slide better.

Also ... Stop changing gear so much!

On my FZR400, which has waaaayyyy less torque, 4th gear around corner 9 and 10 all the way around 1, 2, 3, 4, only one downshift to 3rd going up the hill at the entrance to 5, then upshifts to 6th on the straight. Corner 8 is accelerating full throttle past the bridge only backing off at the turn-in point, no downshift (and I realize that you won't be able to do that on something with more top speed!), 2 downshifts (to 4th) for corner 9. Total downshifts per lap: 3. Total upshifts per lap: 3. For the whole section of track between corner 9 and the uphill entrance to 5, in 4th gear, the engine is between 10,000 and 14,000 rpm the whole time. If there is traffic that slows me down or forces me to square off corner 10 (coming onto the front straight) I may drop down to third there.

On a bigger bike you will probably be a gear lower than that everywhere aside from the back straight, and you will have one downshift and some braking at the end of the back straight.

You should definitely not be downshifting for corner 1, or 2, or 4.

Also ... Stop changing gear so much!

On my FZR400, which has waaaayyyy less torque, 4th gear around corner 9 and 10 all the way around 1, 2, 3, 4, only one downshift to 3rd going up the hill at the entrance to 5, then upshifts to 6th on the straight. Corner 8 is accelerating full throttle past the bridge only backing off at the turn-in point, no downshift (and I realize that you won't be able to do that on something with more top speed!), 2 downshifts (to 4th) for corner 9. Total downshifts per lap: 3. Total upshifts per lap: 3. For the whole section of track between corner 9 and the uphill entrance to 5, in 4th gear, the engine is between 10,000 and 14,000 rpm the whole time. If there is traffic that slows me down or forces me to square off corner 10 (coming onto the front straight) I may drop down to third there.

On a bigger bike you will probably be a gear lower than that everywhere aside from the back straight, and you will have one downshift and some braking at the end of the back straight.

You should definitely not be downshifting for corner 1, or 2, or 4.

100% you should be not downshifting there.

Back
Top Bottom