Hearing loss | Page 4 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Hearing loss

$500 per device in Ontario regardless of age.

IMO the adage "You get what you pay for" applies here.
The "cheap" are basically audio amplification devices.
The $$$ have more channels to sample the auditory input, custom programs to attune to the environment (concert hall, meeting room etc), external device (including cell phones) connectivity and better charging systems.

Critical, is the "fitting" expertise of the audiologist. Each one has their own degree of hearing loss across their unique hearing frequency.

What is a surety is that with age comes hearing loss and the best of devices (as of yet) cannot replicate natural hearing.
Guard your hearing, it is precious!

Indeed and your pocketbook. The field is moving very quickly and you can get your own audiogram allowing you control over the curves.
Getting tested is the first stage.
When you say fitting ....are you referring to software tweaking or sound contouring to patch the deficits?

Some reading shows the expensive makes do not sample anywhere near as high as the AIrPods and that controls the ability to react to changes and reduce ambient sounds if noise cancelling is on.

Really this is a software battle and some serious price disruption with insurance companies and audiologists trying to hold on to their turf.
Not sure what FDA approval adds to Apple's efforts but maybe it qualifies them for insurance/medical plan support :rolleyes:

I'm focussing on the musical aspect as there is a lot of underlying tech to getting music sounding correct.

"When you say fitting ....are you referring to software tweaking or sound contouring to patch the deficits?"
... It is both.

All depends on the individual hearing deficit and whatever device works best, is the best!

Have to modify that - which device works the best and is affordable.
We'll see today if the audiologist will willingly give me the audiogram.

My mother needed new hearing aids last year. $7000 from her hearing doctor. $999 from Costco including the $1000 government rebate. When we insisted for a complete charge estimate from the first one. $1200 per ear distribution fee. For Costco you need to have your hear test done through them you can only do it on if they have a Costco membership. It was worth the $50 membership fee.

I’m at 40 % and the constant ringing white noise. I do need the Samsung sound bar all the time now for better tv sound.

Hearing aids are the number one thing you can do to prevent dementia.

(as your hearing dwindles you are slowly left out of the conversation and then the brain gets "lazy" and dementia can set in)

It's without doubt somewhere between manufacturer and retail.

Here's an eye opener....go take a look on AliExpress for "hearing aid". At least one of these for <$50 look strikingly similar to the $3500 paid my relative now has.

View attachment 66978

Pages and pages of them for well under $100. Are all of them great? Probably not. Are some of them more than adequate for the needs of many people who might not have insurance to cover a fancy $4000-$8000 prescription set? I have no doubt whatsoever.

Would you go to AE for bike parts?? Maybe.......

Also remember that to work well HAs should (must??) be tuned to your specific hearing loss. It's not simply a matter of turning up the volume but rather increasing volume only where your natural range is lacking.

Any way you slice it they suck, they're a pain in the butt, AND they let you back into the conversation.

Not written in stone but after test yesterday ( 10% of normal hearing in some ranges ):eek:
Oticon seems the best compromise for me ....very good suppression of feedback ( which I did not like when wearing them at the test ...crackling ...) and just out so very latest tech ( they go in two year refreshes ).

This is Canada based info ...the $5700 a pair is in Australia

Have zero'd in on the Intent 3 Oticon.

User review here

That price is each and supposedly I get $1000 back from out private insurance.....still ouch :thinks:

I'll buy from the Amplifon location near here
Like the App features
Amplifon App features
Adjust the volume of your hearing aid
Choose between different listening programs to suit different noise environments
Personalise your hearing settings by managing streaming volume, editing bass and treble settings
Create and save personal programs that suit you
Where did you leave your hearing aids? Use the Find My Hearing Aid location feature

You can check your own hearing

I'd prefer to wait on Apple but they are only aiming at mild to moderate hearing lost and mine is not that.....and will only get worse plus partner is champing at the bit to get this fixed.

Last edited:
Not written in stone but after test yesterday ( 10% of normal hearing in some ranges ):eek:
Oticon seems the best compromise for me ....very good suppression of feedback ( which I did not like when wearing them at the test ...crackling ...) and just out so very latest tech ( they go in two year refreshes ).

This is Canada based info ...the $5700 a pair is in Australia

Have zero'd in on the Intent 3 Oticon.

User review here

That price is each and supposedly I get $1000 back from out private insurance.....still ouch :thinks:

I'll buy from the Amplifon location near here
Like the App features

You can check your own hearing

I'd prefer to wait on Apple but they are only aiming at mild to moderate hearing lost and mine is not that.....and will only get worse plus partner is champing at the bit to get this fixed.
10% is pretty bad. Did they give you results in dB or just percentage? When my ear took a dump, I was down to bone conduction only so that is about -60 dB (or 98.5% effective loss if we are talking percentage). Almost nothing registered in that ear and it was very strange and disorienting.

It will be interesting to hear from you how the different listening programs work out. Amplifiers have been including that crap for decades as a checkbox and I find that it is very rare that they improve things. Ime all of those settings make the sound worse and more muddled. There is a possibility that using multiple microphones and smart processing allows the programs to positively affect your ability to comprehend the desired noises.

That online hearing test is bollocks. It is testing to see if you can pick out voices in background noise but you get to pick the level so it's super inaccurate and if you can't pick out voices in a noisy environment, you already know that. To get results, you need to enter name, postal code, email, phone #. No way. Marketing BS. Screw those guys.

It's not 10% across the board and only that low in one ear....but yeah not happy.
Don't recall dB do recall percentage but dB might have been there as well....which ever it dipped into severe. bio.jbtfsplk.jpg
Cheaper route....File:Hornaday 1975 5321 (15851088096 ...

Well a sudden shift in direction.

Phonak the only manufacturer that uses universal Bluetooth.
That made all the others a non starter for me as I want to stream from both my laptop and the TV as well as the iPhone.
Otherwise I need a $200 streaming box for any device I want to stream from.

I have two laptops and one TV with Bluetooth I will stream from

Got home with the new hearing aids and rediscovered crisp top end..

Ran it through the Yamaha sound bar - the tech set up a custom music program for me and pretty happy so far with what I am hearing.

Now there are some downsides - hearing extends out farther than I'm used to and stuff like leaves in the wind seems relatively loud

Now Amplifon has a white box Phonak for less than the branded one - a lot less....ended up saving $1300 over the Oticon and $500 over the branded Phonak ....difference is the App and the Amplifon App gets better rating than the Phonak.
In addition no need to buying extra streaming gear.
Big numbers - far easier to deal with for my situation in terms of stream.

I'm supposed to use the hearing aids at least 8 hours a day and preferably longer

Last edited:
My phonak units came from Amplifon. The only negative is wind noise when walking out of doors. Easily fixed by just turning them off. BT streaming seemed like a great idea, but i turned it off after a week.i found it very annoying to hear every notification from my phone. Adjusting volume in a restaurant or bar is nice.

Caveat: hearing loss and hearing aid preferences are strictly individual choice.

I had tried the Oticon and Phonak before settling on the Signia.
The Signia is not as BT capable, but for me it's hearing restoration was superior. The newly extended hearing range did initially cause sensory overload. Ultimately nothing beats natural hearing, example being the sound of wind - "natural" tunes this out whereas it can become hurtful with the "assisted". No way I can have the hearing aids "live" on a bike or in a car with the windows down.

Until it is gone you don't realize what you have missed!

(I blame my loss on not wearing hearing defenders while working at various oil-field "farms" some of which had up to twenty gas turbines fired up and doing various things such as injecting gas, generating power or just pumping the stuff to a coastal refinery)

My phonak units came from Amplifon. The only negative is wind noise when walking out of doors. Easily fixed by just turning them off. BT streaming seemed like a great idea, but i turned it off after a week.i found it very annoying to hear every notification from my phone. Adjusting volume in a restaurant or bar is nice.
Sounds like you have the same ones I do and yes I have the same problem with wind noise.
Are you putting them in the case when riding or actually wearing them? For short rides I just leave them at home.

Takes a while to get used to wearing glasses with them. Covid mask straps played havoc with them and you can forget about sticking a pencil behind your ear any more.

Being in the conversation is worth the small hassle.

With a helmet,they stay at home or in the case. I don't think it's possible to wear them in a helmet.I wear custom ear plugs.They are really worn for the people around me. It must have been very annoying for people to listen to me. Huh? What? Pardon me?

Successfully transitioned from one laptop to other on BT. Still 38% battery left and I know I can fall asleep with them in.
Listen to some Blade Runner, read and sleep.
It is a bit weird hearing all these sharp upper end sounds ....keyboard clicking etc.

Good to hear real life experiences....the doc had them way too loud initially but turned them down.
Still playing with the app. The automatic setting which senses environment works the charm.
No discomfort ...I'm used to having IEMs in for many hours and these are more comfortable.

You are sure correct ....You don't know what you've been missing until it's back. World was a bit muffled. Detail restored.

Doc set up a custom program for outdoors. Will see tomorrow.

I won't wear them in the helmet either ...doc said not to as well. I'm happy with the IEMs ...won't even put the HAs in for lunch breaks. Wait til I get home.

Really have to revise my stance on value for money. Awful lot of sophisticated tech in these little marvels.
Still think should be nearer the range of upper end iPhones but will be out of pocket for $3500 Aus all in after insurance rebate with the white box Phonak.....the only one that is fully BT compatible.
The Amplifon app pretty sophisticated too. So far so good. Still find the snappy sharp high end a bit much but buddy who is new to HA says I'll adapt.

This is US but a fair assessment

Partner was less cost conscious than I was - guess she really was annoyed repeating herself. 🤪
Tonight at Bowls Club will be a big test as lots of noise clutter. 🍿

Worked well at the Bowls Club - could stay in all the conversations....only annoying bit was the sharp clanks from glasses and plates.....also put the water resistance to the test. Sprinkling on the walk home.

Last edited:
Really have to revise my stance on value for money. Awful lot of sophisticated tech in these little marvels.
Still think should be nearer the range of upper end iPhones but will be out of pocket for $3500 Aus all in after insurance rebate with the white box Phonak.....the only one that is fully BT compatible.
The Amplifon app pretty sophisticated too. So far so good. Still find the snappy sharp high end a bit much but buddy who is new to HA says I'll adapt.

This is US but a fair assessment

Partner was less cost conscious than I was - guess she really was annoyed repeating herself.
Tonight at Bowls Club will be a big test as lots of noise clutter.

Worked well at the Bowls Club - could stay in all the conversations....only annoying bit was the sharp clanks from glasses and plates.....also put the water resistance to the test. Sprinkling on the walk home.
I liked the Phonak for it's ability of speech and hearing with phone calls. The Signia works with only the hearing part of phone calls, however it came out on top with it's auditory capability - a greater number of sampling/tuning channels, six different manual programs if I wanted to overide the auto switching, less echo and a charger that can deliver a certain number of charges without needing to be plugged in (great for travel). There was a promo at the time and the Signia also cost me less than the Phonak.

Of course, choice of instrument is an individual preference.

What is your battery life like?
I'm pretty impressed with the Phonak both battery life and how fast it charges.
For travel the Phonak is USB-c so always have laptop with me plus have big powerbank too.
Useful for cyclone season.

Taking a hearing aid break....ears were itchy and partner is house/dog sitting for most of the day on going for the next 4 weeks while the kids are touring Europed

Might put them in when she comes back for supper pizza and a catheter precedure.
I don't need to stream into them when she is house sitting.

Decided won't sleep with them but have no issue napping if needed. I'm satisfied they work and partner wants my hearing fixed. Have 3 weeks left to reconsider anyways....likely will not.

They are brilliant for social situations...followed all conversations last night. (y)

Partner had this from her mum. Dries and uses UV to disinfect.

HEARING-SAVERS-Siemens-Signia-Perfect-Dry-Lux-cleaning__61374.1683504212.jpg

Quick 45 minute drying time
360° UV-C disinfection lamp
Patented pulsed hot air dehumidification system
Forced-air fan drying system
Quality and sturdiness
Low energy consumption
Compact case and design
Design and assembled in France

Says to use daily ...I guess in the tropics that's a good idea.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom