Hearing loss | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Hearing loss

I have tinnitus. Had it since I was a kid, had operations on my ears when I was younger and it’s getting worse now as I get older. Now I’m super sensitive to certain noises since it’s never really quiet. Things like low pitched humming noises or some “sharp” sounds actually hurt my ears that really shouldn’t. Ringing non-stop. Funny thing is I seem to hear OK except for in crowded places with lots of background noise. I can’t hear anyone speaking to me at all and it’s one of the reasons why I don’t really go to bars much anymore. Don’t know if hearing aids would help at all but I can’t find anything that might stop the constant ringing.

I recently got my hearing checked because my wife said that I kept on say 'uhh and what' whenever she talked to me.

So I went to the doctor and got an appointment at a hearing clinic to get tested out

After the testing the technician said that my hearing is perfect!!!
It's a proven fact that most men lose 50% of their hearing the moment they get married.

Do you wear them when riding?
I don't. They always fall out when I take the helmet off and at that price I don't want to loose one. On a short bike trip I leave them at home.

I have tinnitus. Had it since I was a kid, had operations on my ears when I was younger and it’s getting worse now as I get older. Now I’m super sensitive to certain noises since it’s never really quiet. Things like low pitched humming noises or some “sharp” sounds actually hurt my ears that really shouldn’t. Ringing non-stop. Funny thing is I seem to hear OK except for in crowded places with lots of background noise. I can’t hear anyone speaking to me at all and it’s one of the reasons why I don’t really go to bars much anymore. Don’t know if hearing aids would help at all but I can’t find anything that might stop the constant ringing.
I have mild tinnitus and the aids seem to help reduce it's occurance. They also help alot in crowded noisey places.

I don't. They always fall out when I take the helmet off and at that price I don't want to loose one. On a short bike trip I leave them at home.
Macdocs thin balaclava is probably a good solution for that. Keeps things in place.

Macdocs thin balaclava is probably a good solution for that. Keeps things in place.
Well if he reccomends it, it must be the best thing ever, until he finds the next greatest thing. There
is a reason I have him on ignore.

I'm 5 days into this now. Only negative is wind noise. Listening to the radio, i think i have been missing a lot of lyrics. Lots of catching up to do. I'm going to use them at the trial competition tomorrow in Aylmer. I can get that helmet on, but I'm not even going to try my full face.i wear wear plugs anyway.

I'm 5 days into this now. Only negative is wind noise. Listening to the radio, i think i have been missing a lot of lyrics. Lots of catching up to do. I'm going to use them at the trial competition tomorrow in Aylmer. I can get that helmet on, but I'm not even going to try my full face.i wear wear plugs anyway.
Be careful.
My buddy lost one while riding with them on, and they were friggin' expensive.

I'm all about the IEMs. My wife used to use them, but finds that they hurt her ear canals after an extended period of time (even after trying various smaller flanged and foam and rubber IEM tips), so she's back to using foam earplugs and relies on the speakers in her helmet for audio and comms.
I would like to switch to IEM's with my comm system (Sena) but I don't know how taking phone calls would work as I think you use the mic on the IEM cord/speaker for this.

I realized some hearing loss especially on my right side years ago and had my ears checked and they needed cleaning. They pulled out a massive wax chunk from it and everything around me was shockingly loud again. I always wear plugs when riding/sledding and this year have started wearing them when I cut the lawn also just to prevent any loss.

I use Murine ear wax removal kit once a week.

Wind noise. I tell people it's like the news reporter on a windy day. Glasses muck with them a bit but I've gotten used to that.
Squeeze loves that I can watch TV thru them with the TV muted.
But being back fully in the conversation is key.

Getting tested again when I get back next week. It's overdue. We get some financial support from insurance. I find the prices rather dire considering the advances in electronics over the past decade.
I'm tempted to try a pair from Amazon.
Just to have a reference.

The hearing aids sold for $7k or so at the testing place I went to 3 years ago just when I got back to Australia
Showed I had problems with hearing in complicated venues like a bunch of people at a table having several conversations.

This is where I think the prices should be
this appealed

The Jaspa 3 Adventure…​

The Jaspa 3 hearing aid was traditionally developed as a “loan” device for Australian audiology clinics, when audiology clientele’s traditional hearing aids were either in for repair, had been lost, or required servicing.

What was unexpected was that the overwhelming majority of those who wore it during this interim period, didn’t want to return the Jaspa 3 aid to the clinic, even when their expensive hearing aids were ready to be collected.

The need for a high quality, yet affordable digital hearing aid, that could be provided over the counter, or sent directly to the customer was born. The Jaspa 3 is now even greater, with the digital microchip made by one of the world’s leading manufacturers, the Jaspa 3 now holds much of the same technology found in hearing aids that cost thousands of dollars.

On a related note, I recently picked up a pair of Bose QuietComfort II earbuds, since I am doing a lot more air travel recently.

I used to own a pair of Noise Cancelling headphones about 20 years ago but they weren't as effective as foam earplugs so I shelved them quickly.

Holy heck, the NC technology has improved considerably since then!

I usually sit in the cheap seats on the plane, so right behind the engines, where it's the noisiest. These new earbuds cut 90% of the cabin noise. Truly amazing!

It's too bad they are so bulky and will never fit underneath a helmet. Wonder how the NC tech would work against wind, road and tire noise?

On a related note, I recently picked up a pair of Bose QuietComfort II earbuds, since I am doing a lot more air travel recently.

I used to own a pair of Noise Cancelling headphones about 20 years ago but they weren't as effective as foam earplugs so I shelved them quickly.

Holy heck, the NC technology has improved considerably since then!

I usually sit in the cheap seats on the plane, so right behind the engines, these new earbuds cut 90% of the cabin noise. Truly amazing!

It's too bad they are so bulky and will never fit underneath a helmet. Wonder how the NC tech would work against wind, road and tire noise?
You could probably modify a cheap helmet just for testing purposes and satisfy the curiosity.
Cheap HJC or Bell or some light used helmet.

You could probably modify a cheap helmet just for testing purposes and satisfy the curiosity.
Cheap HJC or Bell or some light used helmet.

Good idea! The school has a couple of rashed up helmets that we use as "cautionary tales" during Theory.

Could probably cut up the insides of those without anyone complaining.

Had my ears tested yearly in automotive mfg and results were always excellent. Been a few years and I’m married now so it’s probably suffered 🙂

I always wear plugs or IEMs when riding.

Recovering from my ear infection so I have had a few tests recently. Uninfected ear is good. Infected ear was down 60 dB to start, a month ago improved to -20 dB at higher frequencies, this week -10 dB. Still not perfect but improving. Hoping it comes back.

It was a very interesting experience instantly experiencing hearing loss and the troubles it causes (unable to locate sounds, unable to focus on a voice in a crowd). I suspect our brain does some cool beamforming and when you lose an ear (or both suck), it is unable to process effectively and you are left with mush.

Recovering from my ear infection so I have had a few tests recently. Uninfected ear is good. Infected ear was down 60 dB to start, a month ago improved to -20 dB at higher frequencies, this week -10 dB. Still not perfect but improving. Hoping it comes back.

It was a very interesting experience instantly experiencing hearing loss and the troubles it causes (unable to locate sounds, unable to focus on a voice in a crowd). I suspect our brain does some cool beamforming and when you lose an ear (or both suck), it is unable to process effectively and you are left with mush.

I had inner ear problems a couple of years ago that resulted in loss of balance, vertigo and nausea. They're vital for so much more functionality than just listening.

Funnily enough my balance on a motorcycle was unaffected.

I was just as bad a rider as I was before my inner ear problems...

Back
Top Bottom