Headphones while on track? (stop freaking out..I'm serious) | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Headphones while on track? (stop freaking out..I'm serious)

I always ride street with music and I tried my last round of soar last year with earbuds in. Loved it. Kept me pumped up through the race. But I don't know if I just use crappy headphones but I can hear a lot through them. Traffic, horns as well as another bike at my rear tire.

Unless they make some rule against it, next time I'm at the track I'll be wearing my earbuds for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When I rode on the street I wore headphones. When I'm riding at 98%-100% I don't need to hear music. During a race the last thing I need is to be "pumped up" lol.

I must be from another generation or something. I can't *imagine* trying to do something that takes as much concentration as track riding with music playing in my ears. Then again I think I was a teenager before they even invented the Sony Walkman, so maybe I am just not used to spending my whole life with music in the background. Personally, I would much prefer that everyone just pay as much attention as possible, but like I said it is possible that I just don't get it. To me it seems like a really really stupid idea.

Me, too. I would consider music while riding to be a distraction.

When I am on track, I want to hear what my own bike is doing and I want to hear if someone else is close behind or beside, and I don't want distractions. I use the sound as much as sight and certainly more than the instruments to help judge corner speed, shift points, whether a gear change was successful, etc.

I use earplugs all the time, but those only bring down the overall sound level into a dB range where human ears are more sensitive (as opposed to overwhelming them - and causing long-term hearing damage).

When I rode on the street I wore headphones. When I'm riding at 98%-100% I don't need to hear music. During a race the last thing I need is to be "pumped up" lol.

Makes perfect sense. I never ride at 98-100% tho. Too much of a chicken sh*t lol. Never said it was smart i just liked it. :)

I blew a start this year because I couldn't hear my bike, over revved first and lost 3 positions.

Mosport I missed out on a podium because I missed a down shift before 9. If I hadn't of heard that I would have tried to pull 3rd gear onto the straight and instead of being beat by .011s it would have easily been .5.

Hearing everything to me is absolutely vital to going fast. If your not on the track to go fast what are you doing?

Hearing everything to me is absolutely vital to going fast. If your not on the track to go fast what are you doing?

I am going fast. Fast enough to make me happy. Unfortunately I'll never do nationals, never be sponsored, I have kids and job that require me not to get hurt so I have to ride with a certain caution.

I am going fast. Fast enough to make me happy. Unfortunately I'll never do nationals, never be sponsored, I have kids and job that require me not to get hurt so I have to ride with a certain caution.

More people crash at track days than on race weekends.

If you're content to pound out countless laps and you don't really care about improving then... Well... Fine?

My racing is paid for out of my pocket, I have help (discounts) but nobody is paying for my expenses. I also have a kid and need to work to pay bills. 2% is for the ability to recover if something goes wrong. Crashing is not an option for me.

Love parade laps!!!! You should try it sometime :)

I do, after the race :)

More people crash at track days than on race weekends.

If you're content to pound out countless laps and you don't really care about improving then... Well... Fine?

Don't know about that, ever race with Paulo? (Kidding kidding) there's a lot of crashes at both, point is I don't wanna crash so I can't (won't) push as hard as I can. I am always striving to improve but sometimes your lively hood is a wee bit more important than your weekend hobbies.

My racing is paid for out of my pocket, I have help (discounts) but nobody is paying for my expenses. I also have a kid and need to work to pay bills. 2% is for the ability to recover if something goes wrong. Crashing is not an option for me.

I do, after the race :)

Lol true enough. Maybe one day I'll get a parade lap ( doubt it).

I was just about to post about texting while riding on the track.

this is acceptable, no?

I was just about to post about texting while riding on the track.

this is acceptable, no?

I think its fair game. Thy have talk to text now, don't even have to take your gloves off.

If your not on the track to go fast what are you doing?

Having fun like the rest of the non-sponsored, not-good enough to be professional racers and don't take track days seriously crowd. I think only an idiot would be seriously "pushing it" at the non-competitive fun lapping day that's open for the general public. It's as much anyone else's track as it is yours.

There's a big difference between going fast and pushing it to the point where it starts being competitive. If you want to "win" a track day.. rent out Laguna Seca and go test there.. I'm sure you'll have sponsorship to pay for it (being so fast and all)..

So much sand in vaginas.

See Derrick, only an idiot would actually use a trackday as a test day and work hard. You're an idiot. I'm an idiot.

Having fun like the rest of the non-sponsored, not-good enough to be professional racers and don't take track days seriously crowd. I think only an idiot would be seriously "pushing it" at the non-competitive fun lapping day that's open for the general public. It's as much anyone else's track as it is yours.

There's a big difference between going fast and pushing it to the point where it starts being competitive. If you want to "win" a track day.. rent out Laguna Seca and go test there.. I'm sure you'll have sponsorship to pay for it (being so fast and all)..

LOL! I wish I had all these sponsors that paid my way like people seem to think every guy that races has. I'm also not a Pro but I'm working on that ;).

A track day is a controlled environment where you can push your limits safely. Maybe I should slap some light on my bike and go hit the ramps instead so I don't ruin your track day.

Wear headphones, rock out to limpbizkit, go fast, go slow, do what you want. The people that were suggesting not wearing headphones were doing so to try and help you learn or increase your skills. If you want to go ride around and do 2:00 lap times at TMP and not learn anything be my guest. I was only explaining why I don't wear anything but ear plugs.

So much sand in vaginas.

See Derrick, only an idiot would actually use a trackday as a test day and work hard. You're an idiot. I'm an idiot.

Silly racer, track days are for sight seeing.

Last edited:
I'm getting a super bike for next year (so I don't have to work so hard to stay ahead of Tim and Derek) ;)
I hope it comes with an AUX and headphone jack ... maybe a NAVI too ??

It sounds like the op could save some money by doing parade laps on the street instead of paying for track, but to each his own.

Back
Top Bottom