heading to detroit...anything interesting along the way? | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

heading to detroit...anything interesting along the way?

back from detroit (on bike). it was fine! bike still in my possession!

the filmore venue is insane.

took the sarnia route and stopped off at the bluewater bridge for some pulled pork poutine. yep mostly straight highway riding but with very little traffic so it was fine. slight 10 minute delay at the border entering the US but absolutely no one coming back in on my way home.

aNh14Bd.png

wRjWrDa.png

9preGoL.png

OFa49Yc.png

The Squeeze and I sometimes head to that park under the bridge in Sarnia to watch lake frieghters go by. Did you see any? Also when the water is warm kids jump in by the treatment plant and let the quick current carry them down under the bridge.

Downtown was pretty dead imo. Lots of boutique hotels though.

This reminded me of a place we stayed at in Buffalo, NY. It was called "The Mansion on Delaware".

We stayed there shortly after it opened, at the turn of the millennium. Super nice hotel, but it felt very out-out-place in the middle of a run-down neighbourhood. We asked to lock our motorcycles up in their tiny courtyard.

At one point in its history, Buffalo boasted the most millionaires per capita in the country. But post-industrial America grew in a different direction and the city suffered a sharp decline. Large areas of the downtown were left derelict throughout the 80s and early 90s. That's how I remembered it growing up just across the border.

The Mansion was the vanguard of a bunch of new businesses that revitalized the city. I just did a Google StreetView search of the neighbourhood around The Mansion and it does not look remotely close to the picture of urban decay that it was back in the early 2000s. Today, it's very hipster, like Kensington Market in Toronto.

Not sure if Detroit is capable of such a re-invention.

Downtown was pretty dead imo. Lots of boutique hotels though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Were you there for The Sisters of Mercy gig?
They just played the Filmore.

The Squeeze and I sometimes head to that park under the bridge in Sarnia to watch lake frieghters go by. Did you see any? Also when the water is warm kids jump in by the treatment plant and let the quick current carry them down under the bridge.
i dont think i saw any! it was a nice area though. would have chilled a bit longer but i was already behind schedule. every time i think im gonna leave early in the morning for a ride i always end up leaving...not in the early morning lol.

This reminded me of a place we stayed at in Buffalo, NY. It was called "The Mansion on Delaware".

We stayed there shortly after it opened, at the turn of the millennium. Super nice hotel, but it felt very out-out-place in the middle of a run-down neighbourhood. We asked to lock our motorcycles up in their tiny courtyard.

At one point in its history, Buffalo boasted the most millionaires per capita in the country. But post-industrial America grew in a different direction and the city suffered a sharp decline. Large areas of the downtown were left derelict throughout the 80s and early 90s. That's how I remembered it growing up just across the border.

The Mansion was the vanguard of a bunch of new businesses that revitalized the city. I just did a Google StreetView search of the neighbourhood around The Mansion and it does not look remotely close to the picture of urban decay that it was back in the early 2000s. Today, it's very hipster, like Kensington Market in Toronto.

Not sure if Detroit is capable of such a re-invention.

detroit is in a weird spot. i looked it up and they are something like 3rd in the entire US for how expensive airbnb and hotels are. NYC is fourth!
as for downtown, it was dead people-wise but the actual area looked pretty decent for a downtown core. then again i was also there on a monday lol.

yep i was. lots of people say they suck live but i had a great time with friends there! the filmore looks amazing and i'd definitely road trip back here for another show if it didnt come to toronto.

Cool. I was just in Royal Oak, MI for the Love and Rockets show. We took my buddy’s Tesla.
:)

Cool. I was just in Royal Oak, MI for the Love and Rockets show. We took my buddy’s Tesla.
:)

oh nice! never was a big fan of love and rockets but i guess the rest of the band had to do something with peter murphy needing a LOT of help. was looking forward to bauhaus toronto date before it got cancelled.

oh nice! never was a big fan of love and rockets but i guess the rest of the band had to do something with peter murphy needing a LOT of help. was looking forward to bauhaus toronto date before it got cancelled.
Also had tickets that show before it was cancelled.

Back
Top Bottom