heading to detroit...anything interesting along the way? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

heading to detroit...anything interesting along the way?

I used to drive to Dearborn from Milton every week before covid. Leave at 6 am, in the office between 8:30-9 am.
Tried all borders , Sarnia was the best, Windsor worst.
I eventually got Nexus and border crossing was a breeze.

my nexus application has been sitting in a queue since june 2022 lol. although i had no idea it helped with land crossings too. i thought it was only for air travel!

Back in the early 70s cruising Woodward Ave was the thing to do.
Detroit was the murder capital of North America at the time with 600 to 700 a year.

the most bizarre thing is detroit is now one of the most expensive places to stay in terms of airbnb/hotel prices. its insane.

purpose is to get to a concert venue in detroit for the night! definitely not a planned trip specifically for a nice bike ride or anything.

sounds like main road it is!
Sterling heights or a different venue? I'd definitely do Sarnia if you are headed to sterling heights. That avoids all the bads parts of Detroit.

This is a stunning statistic in and of itself.

At one point in its history, about 75 years ago, Detroit's population was over 1.85M people. It was the fourth largest city in the US.

Today, its population is a third of that...
It is a really interesting case study in how to fail miserably at managing a shrinking city. Municipal services are far too expensive with a few occupied houses per block. You need to consolidate the remaining residents and bulldoze the excess capacity asap. If you expand again, you have mostly clear land to expand into. It's not an easy process but trying to maintain services for a population of 1.85M with a population of 640K is a guaranteed fail.

imagine living somewhere where you couldn’t ride because your bike would get stolen if you parked it.
No one said you couldn't ride.

You just couldn't park. So ride non stop.
@V-Tom wouldn't have an issue with that. And I'm sure you would enjoy that as well. Lol

This is a stunning statistic in and of itself.

At one point in its history, about 75 years ago, Detroit's population was over 1.85M people. It was the fourth largest city in the US.

Today, its population is a third of that...
And Greater Detroit Area population is 5,318,744, about the same as GTA.

And Greater Detroit Area population is 5,318,744, about the same as GTA.
Not quite the same comparison, the Detroit metro is comparable to the GTHA+Wateroo, it's 3.5M people vs 7600KM in the GTHA.

If you compared the greater areas, you'd have to rope in KW/Guelph and Cambridge which would still make the GTHA+W 50% bigger in population.

The city of Detroit is about 1/5th the population of Toronto

Next thread: bike got stolen in Detroit. How do I get back?

I joke OP…just be careful.

Stayed at the holiday Inn downtown a couple times for the Detroit Auto Show.
(at night) You pull up to the office, go in, and that's it. You don't go back out as recommended by staff. There's always a valet or two, and they take and park your car "somewhere".
In the morning, they bring it to the front door when you want it. No unnecessary mileage was racked up.

Back
Top Bottom