Heading south | Page 5 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Heading south

Now your are getting someplace! So how much were the the pizza slices?
When I did a trip to manhattan a couple of slices were pretty expensive.

Now your are getting someplace! So how much were the the pizza slices?
When I did a trip to manhattan a couple of slices were pretty expensive.
Don’t remember the prices, but the slices were huge.

The bagel was priceless though.

I mean, you eat pineapple on pizza, so not sure you’re qualified to comment on pizza quality. 🤪🤪🤪

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com
I feel attacked.

I remember the first time I had a bagel and cream cheese in NYC, I couldn't believe the cream chees was about 2" thick. You had to bite softly or the cream cheese would squeeze out. The dill pickles were the best I ever had and kept ordering more. No body does bagels like New York.

I am jealous looking at the bagel picture you posted. :love:

I remember the first time I had a bagel and cream cheese in NYC, I couldn't believe the cream chees was about 2" thick. You had to bite softly or the cream cheese would squeeze out. The dill pickles were the best I ever had and kept ordering more. No body does bagels like New York.

I am jealous looking at the bagel picture you posted. :love:
Still in disbelief as to how good it was..

Thought about going again tomorrow but the traffic is a pain

For the people that have ridden the Rockies in Canada out in BC/AB, how are they compared to the Appalachians? I imagine the roads are just as crazy twisty, how is the pavement quality?

I have yet to find potholes or bumps or tar snakes anywhere…

The issue with BC is that, relatively speaking, hardly anyone lives there except in greater Vancouver and Victoria, so there aren't many mountain roads.

Appalachia has more towns, so it has more roads between towns. Of course, the scenery is another matter, Appalachia is okay, BC is spectacular.

@bigpoppa something i just remembered.

When i was teaching at Shanny last month I ran into a guy who was tracking his africa twin.

Commuted on it today, it's a pretty damn good bike. It's not a sport bike, but it's fairly capable.

Day10:

Getting closer to home now
Noticing googleMaps is wonky, even if you tell it to avoid highways, it will take you on ‘non official highways’, the only way to find the twistiest roads is to just manually string together towns which have no highways, and only lots of squiggles in between.

Couldn’t help but try more bagels, this time in NJ, yep they’re still great.

Met a rider in NJ who owns an mv agusta, apparently they too have a clutch less option

Attachments

• IMG_2285-compressed.jpeg
    IMG_2285-compressed.jpeg
    908.4 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_2286-compressed.jpeg
    IMG_2286-compressed.jpeg
    306.2 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_2287-compressed.jpeg
    IMG_2287-compressed.jpeg
    797.3 KB · Views: 21
Noticing googleMaps is wonky
I have noticed that as well, same with Waze. I know that there are motorcycle specific GPS apps, maybe try one of them?

For the people who have been there curious what your thoughts are on the upstate NY, Vermont area in terms of riding? @shanekingsley

For the people who have been there curious what your thoughts are on the upstate NY, Vermont area in terms of riding? @shanekingsley
There are some beautiful roads. Also some that go from beautiful asphalt to gravel mid-corner with no warning. Can't give you specific guidance on roads as I just wandered through with no real plan.

You could climb mount washington. I tried but snow was over 10' deep on the road so that obviously didn't work. Yes, it's technically NH not VT or NY but close enough.

There are some beautiful roads. Also some that go from beautiful asphalt to gravel mid-corner with no warning. Can't give you specific guidance on roads as I just wandered through with no real plan.

You could climb mount washington. I tried but snow was over 10' deep on the road so that obviously didn't work. Yes, it's technically NH not VT or NY but close enough.
Agreed. Vermont had some really scenic roads with surprisingly horrible pavement. Made me want to turn back or get through the state as fast as possible, because the twistiest roads were in the worst shape.

New Hampshire and Maine are great states for riding. Really beautiful states.

NY has a nice road called hawks nest or something that is quite nice with awesome views - do a Google search see more about it. I love riding in the Adirondack’s if you hit up that area on your way home. It’s not technical but really big scenery for so close to home.

Day 11,

This was my route today

1691109264621.png

Finally home,
I was feeling a bit underwhelmed by Pennsylvania, it takes longer to find nicer roads than WV or Tennessee and theyre not as epic, but I did eventually, and all was well again...

Oddly enough, I saw 0 wildlife the entire trip, but on the way back up through PA, I saw 4 deers and a black bear all on the same day...
I get the feeling they come out during the milder days...
On the scorching hot days, they are nowhere to be found...

All in all, about 4000 kms...

It took CONSIDERABLY longer to enter the US from Niagara falls, than it did to return via fort erie...coincidence?

Welcome home

Glad you got home safely. Looks a great southern wander. Hope you missed that storm last night.

Glad you got home safely. Looks a great southern wander. Hope you missed that storm last night.
I did, in 11 days I got complete sunshine, I always ended up arriving before or after a storm

I did, in 11 days I got complete sunshine, I always ended up arriving before or after a storm
Guess you're do for some maintenance after this long ride, how'd your tires do?
After my ride across US I needed a new set installed and oil change, chain adjustment etc.

Back
Top Bottom