Heading south | GTAMotorcycle.com

Heading south

bigpoppa

headed south on a road trip:

Day 1 :

Left around 12 pm, In about 6 hours of riding I covered a whopping 200ish kms. Spend most of the day stuck on the QEW or the border crossing at Niagara, stopped overnight in springville NY.

I thought leaving in the middle of the day would help avoid the rush hour commuters, but nope.

Between the heat and the excessive traffic, really glad I’m not taking a tuono on a trip like this.

Day 2:
Left the hotel around 10 am heading into Pennsylvania, I really wanted to see the coral caverns, but apparently they close at 1pm… oh well. Enjoying the roads in Pennsylvania.

I pulled over to take a little break, and plugged in the phone to keep the battery charged, and accidentally got the android auto to work!
🤷

Either the Honda tutorials were wrong, or maybe a dealer updated the software at some point, but this thing is AWESOME! No Bluetooth headset needed!

No more constantly looking down at my phone to make sure I don’t get lost, no worrying about the phone losing battery, and with the press of a button I can swap to android auto or back to the standard bike screen.

Also fiddled with the shoei helmet, apparently closing the vents makes the helmet MUCH quieter.

All in all a solid days riding.

Attachments

• IMG_2048-compressed.jpeg
    IMG_2048-compressed.jpeg
    793.5 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_2050-compressed.png
    IMG_2050-compressed.png
    351.9 KB · Views: 43
If you end up going south to Deals Gap, continue further south into the mountains of northern Georgia. Fantastic roads that don't have a lot of traffic.

I'd recommend Blue Ridge Parkway for some good sights.

Day 3:

I took @shanekingsley s advice and avoided the highways, spend the whole day climbing up and down the mountains of West Virginia, ridiculous roads lol, the pavement is super twisty and so smooth!

My two personal favourites are green mountain road/pinnacle rd and WV 15.

There are no roads like this in Ontario.

For the first time I found myself wishing I was on middleweight naked or on my supermoto. Tight twists and turns, along with big sudden elevation changes, occasionally felt like the AT was tying itself in knots, and not quite going side to side quick enough, still for 90% of the roads it acquits itself admirably.

Was keeping an eye on the bike, and it seems the Honda eats oil like a gujrati on Diwali, about half a litre per 1000km, good thing I bought some with me.

Met some locals tonight at a popular restaurant, the people here seem very friendly, not in a rush, and just randomly strike up conversations with you.

I will have to do SOME highway though, or I could be here forever

Attachments

• IMG_2057-compressed.jpeg
    IMG_2057-compressed.jpeg
    688.1 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_2060-compressed.jpeg
    IMG_2060-compressed.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 45
  • IMG_2061-compressed.jpeg
    IMG_2061-compressed.jpeg
    618.3 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_2063-compressed.jpeg
    IMG_2063-compressed.jpeg
    640.9 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_2065-compressed.jpeg
    IMG_2065-compressed.jpeg
    1,012.7 KB · Views: 41
Day 3:

I took @shanekingsley s advice and avoided the highways, spend the whole day climbing up and down the mountains of West Virginia, ridiculous roads lol, the pavement is super twisty and so smooth!

My two personal favourites are green mountain road/pinnacle rd and WV 15.

There are no roads like this in Ontario.

For the first time I found myself wishing I was on middleweight naked or on my supermoto. Tight twists and turns, along with big sudden elevation changes, occasionally felt like the AT was tying itself in knots, and not quite going side to side quick enough, still for 90% of the roads it acquits itself admirably.

Was keeping an eye on the bike, and it seems the Honda eats oil like a gujrati on Diwali, about half a litre per 1000km, good thing I bought some with me.

Met some locals tonight at a popular restaurant, the people here seem very friendly, not in a rush, and just randomly strike up conversations with you.

I will have to do SOME highway though, or I could be here forever
set suspension to firm, probably help with curves.

Looking good!
So you have no cases on your bike. Did you travel real light?

set suspension to firm, probably help with curves.
I'll tweak the settings more, but its already on firm, think multiple chicanes back to back, but without the crappy mid corner bumps at grandbend...

Good stuff.
This thread might give you a few more roads to hit up wherever you may be headed:

That's a lot of oil to be burning for such a new bike and seems weird.

Looking good!
So you have no cases on your bike. Did you travel real light?
just my ol trusty nelson rigg tail bag, its surprisingly roomy and expandable.
Have only some minor bike maintenance stuff, laptop for work, some snacks and drinks...toiletries..

I never had the need for giant sidecases before, and dont think I do now.
Less is always more

Good stuff.
This thread might give you a few more roads to hit up wherever you may be headed:

Yeah... apparently its a thing, i'll have it looked at when I come back, should still be in warranty.

Good stuff.

Most manufacturers say 1L/1000 km is normal. With thinner oil all the time to hit mileage amd emissions targets, it doesn't take much for it to escape. Now, I wouldnt be happy with that burn rate even if the manufacturers refuses to help me.

just my ol trusty nelson rigg tail bag, its surprisingly roomy and expandable.
Have only some minor bike maintenance stuff, laptop for work, some snacks and drinks...toiletries..

I never had the need for giant sidecases before, and dont think I do now.
Less is always more
decided to go the soft bag route, 35l/30l sidebags and a 50l duffel. should get it all setup this week.

Most manufacturers say 1L/1000 km is normal. With thinner oil all the time to hit mileage amd emissions targets, it doesn't take much for it to escape. Now, I wouldnt be happy with that burn rate even if the manufacturers refuses to help me.
If that’s true - for me that’s just not acceptable on a new bike.

Back
Top Bottom