Have a Yamaha R6, want a new bike to ride every day (Looking at the FZ-09). | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Have a Yamaha R6, want a new bike to ride every day (Looking at the FZ-09).

115 hp (86 kW) @ 10,000 RPM[SUP][/SUP]
65 ft·lb (88 N·m) @ 8,500 RPM[SUP][/SUP]

Vs

105.9 kW (142.0 hp) @ 10,000 rpm
110.8 N·m (81.7 lbf·ft) @ 7,300 rpm

We must have ridden two bikes with the same name, because on deceleration, the MT09 has no suspension. That skinny saddle also makes body positioning before a corner, and bracing mid corner, very difficult, and throttle roll on/off is also difficult with that mapping

The z1000 has an oversprung rear for road use, but no one is going to be upgrading those brakes and the Showa Big Piston forks. The MT09 has old Japanese bike syndrome, a brilliant engine with a weak frame package. The next bike from Yamaha will have that engine in a decent handling package.

But, if you care about runs on dragstrips in straight lines, were talking different riding.

115 hp (86 kW) @ 10,000 RPM
65 ft·lb (88 N·m) @ 8,500 RPM

Vs

105.9 kW (142.0 hp) @ 10,000 rpm
110.8 N·m (81.7 lbf·ft) @ 7,300 rpm

We must have ridden two bikes with the same name, because on deceleration, the MT09 has no suspension. That skinny saddle also makes body positioning before a corner, and bracing mid corner, very difficult, and throttle roll on/off is also difficult with that mapping

The z1000 has an oversprung rear for road use, but no one is going to be upgrading those brakes and the Showa Big Piston forks. The MT09 has old Japanese bike syndrome, a brilliant engine with a weak frame package. The next bike from Yamaha will have that engine in a decent handling package.

But, if you care about runs on dragstrips in straight lines, were talking different riding.

It has no suspension...? *mind boggled* I must be riding a a bicycle.
Spouting HP/ft-lb doesn't really give the whole picture. It's about power to weight ratio. Which if you do the calculations... they are very similar. Hence the similar 0-60 and 1/4 mile.

CafeRay have you taken both bikes to the track? Or are you basing all this on a couple factory demo rides? Did you tune both suspensions to your weight? Setting up the suspension on my FZ9 make a substantial difference. On the demo ride the bike was setup WAAYYYY too soft.

You might want to look at the FZ-09 forums...

$200 ECU reflash and $100 ZX10 shock can phenomenally change the FZ9.

I'm not bashing the Z1000, but you make it sound like its way faster... which is complete nonsense. Both are great bikes IMO.....

I'm not bashing the Z1000, but you make it sound like its way faster... which is complete nonsense. Both are great bikes IMO.....

The Z1000 *is* way faster, though? 27 hp is a substantial deficit. And you can't say in one breath it doesn't have suspension problems, and then in the next say it needs a new shock

The Z1000 *is* way faster, though? 27 hp is a substantial deficit. And you can't say in one breath it doesn't have suspension problems, and then in the next say it needs a new shock

My honest opinions? Around the city the suspension is fine, if I was a track guy I would probably upgrade it. Then again, I doubt many serious track riders wouldn't upgrade/tune their suspension. Unless its a S1000RR or something. I didn't say it doesn't have suspension problems.... I said its not a bicycle with no suspension, pretty big difference. 27 HP more, but also about 75 pounds more.

How do you get that it's way faster? Where are the numbers to support this? Please read my post completely.

2014 FZ-09
0-60 2.7s
10.6 1/4

2013 Z1000
0-60 3.1
10.75 1/4

I know everybody thinks they are Valentino Rossi, but lets be realistic with the situation. I'm sure both bikes out-perform the riders. Also, if you use 100% of the power on either of these bikes on the street..... Good luck to you.

I'm willing to let the OP test ride my bike. CafeRay can bring his Z1000.

Last edited:
My honest opinions? Around the city the suspension is fine, if I was a track guy I would probably upgrade it. Then again, I doubt many serious track riders wouldn't upgrade/tune their suspension. Unless its a S1000RR or something. I didn't say it doesn't have suspension problems.... I said its not a bicycle with no suspension, pretty big difference. 27 HP more, but also about 75 pounds more.

How do you get that it's way faster? Where are the numbers to support this? Please read my post completely.

2014 FZ-09
0-60 2.7s
10.6 1/4

2013 Z1000
0-60 3.1
10.75 1/4

I know everybody thinks they are Valentino Rossi, but lets be realistic with the situation. I'm sure both bikes out-perform the riders. Also, if you use 100% of the power on either of these bikes on the street..... Good luck to you.

I would be interested in seeing a source for those numbers... which are not worth a lot. Just about every sportbike made in the last decade has a paper 0-60 time around 3 seconds and a 1/4 mile time of 10-10.5. The FJ1100 could supposedly do the 1/4 mile in 10.68, and that thing weighed 575lbs (Cycle Guide, '84). It is not easy to get consistent number running a street bike down a dragstrip, let alone meaningfully distinguishable numbers.

I can, however, see from the numbers CafeRay posted that the Z1000 would have a better power to weight ratio (about 3.42 lbs/hp) than the FZ-09 (3.6 lbs/hp).

I would be interested in seeing a source for those numbers... which are not worth a lot. Just about every sportbike made in the last decade has a paper 0-60 time around 3 seconds and a 1/4 mile time of 10-10.5. The FJ1100 could supposedly do the 1/4 mile in 10.68, and that thing weighed 575lbs (Cycle Guide, '84). It is not easy to get consistent number running a street bike down a dragstrip, let alone meaningfully distinguishable numbers.

I can, however, see from the numbers CafeRay posted that the Z1000 would have a better power to weight ratio (about 3.42 lbs/hp) than the FZ-09 (3.6 lbs/hp).

I used G-O-O-G-L-E. The numbers were consistent across several sources. So you see the numbers but you are still unwilling to accept it? Sorry bud, can't help you.

To quote you... "The Z1000 *is* way faster". So in your opinion the motorcycle magazines do not know what they are doing? I would trust Cycle World Magazine more than you. Did you factor gearing and powerband into your calculations? Whats your interpretation of "way" faster?

Please go test ride both bikes, come back here and say "
The Z1000 *is* way faster" with a straight face.

If you said the KTM Super Duke 1290R is way faster... Yes I will agree with you.

Edit: Just realized you said ->
The Z1000 *is* way faster, though? With a question mark. Even at the track, i'm going to argue the rider makes more of a difference. The power to weight ratio on bikes these days is phenomenal. Using said power? That's a completely different story.

Last edited:
I used G-O-O-G-L-E. The numbers were consistent across several sources. So you see the numbers but you are still unwilling to accept it? Sorry bud, can't help you.

To quote you... "The Z1000 *is* way faster". So in your opinion the motorcycle magazines do not know what they are doing? I would trust Cycle World Magazine more than you. Did you factor gearing and powerband into your calculations? Whats your interpretation of "way" faster?

Please go test ride both bikes, come back here and say "
The Z1000 *is* way faster" with a straight face.

If you said the KTM Super Duke 1290R is way faster... Yes I will agree with you.

Edit: Just realized you said ->
The Z1000 *is* way faster, though? With a question mark. Even at the track, i'm going to argue the rider makes more of a difference. The power to weight ratio on bikes these days is phenomenal. Using said power? That's a completely different story.

The numbers could be very well made up, if you can't provide an authoritative source for them. Google is not a primary source for anything, it is merely an index. Searching for the numbers you gave only points back to you posting them in an FZ09 forum in the exact same fashion.

I suspect you have (intentionally or accidentally) mixed and matched these numbers. For example, the only source I find saying the FZ-09 has a 0-60 time of 2.7 seconds is Cycle World. They give an (unrounded) quarter mile time of 10.66s. Cycle World appears to never have tested the 2013 Z1000, but they did test the 2010 Z1000. It is difficult to find their numbers online for some reason, but I did find this excerpt on their website. It says the Z1000 also does 0-60 in 2.7s, and it does the quarter mile in 10.38.

You could also say the FZ-09 has a top speed of 132mph and the Z1000 has a top speed of 148mph from the same sources, but that will hardly impress anybody.

The numbers could be very well made up, if you can't provide an authoritative source for them. Google is not a primary source for anything, it is merely an index. Searching for the numbers you gave only points back to you posting them in an FZ09 forum in the exact same fashion.

I suspect you have (intentionally or accidentally) mixed and matched these numbers. For example, the only source I find saying the FZ-09 has a 0-60 time of 2.7 seconds is Cycle World. They give an (unrounded) quarter mile time of 10.66s. Cycle World appears to never have tested the 2013 Z1000, but they did test the 2010 Z1000. It is difficult to find their numbers online for some reason, but I did find this excerpt on their website. It says the Z1000 also does 0-60 in 2.7s, and it does the quarter mile in 10.38.

You could also say the FZ-09 has a top speed of 132mph and the Z1000 has a top speed of 148mph from the same sources, but that will hardly impress anybody.

I'm not trying to impress anybody, merely stating both bikes are similar. Top speed on the FZ-09 can be modified with an ECU reflash... *shrug* Mind you 132/148mph on a naked is.... crazy.
Ironically enough you didn't answer my question. Whats your interpretation of "way" faster? Whats the fastest bike you have owned? Have you ridden either of the bikes being talked about? Since you made the comment, I would probably say no.

The difference between the two bikes is really splitting hairs. Armchair racing here we go!

I'm not trying to impress anybody, merely stating both bikes are similar. Top speed on the FZ-09 can be modified with an ECU reflash... *shrug* Mind you 132/148mph on a naked is.... crazy.
Ironically enough you didn't answer my question. Whats your interpretation of "way" faster? Whats the fastest bike you have owned? Have you ridden either of the bikes being talked about? Since you made the comment, I would probably say no.

The difference between the two bikes is really splitting hairs. Armchair racing here we go!

IMO the best measure for which would be faster, in line with how they are intended to be used, would be lap times around a track. I can't find published laptimes for either, Motorcycle.com used to do this for their shootouts but apparently they don't anymore.

The fastest bike I have owned is one of the following, depending on what yardstick you are using for "fast":
1994 Kawasaki ZX-11
1997 Triumph Daytona T595
2011 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 (cousin of the Z1000)

I have never ridden the FZ-09 because I have no interest in it. Everything I would like about it would be better done by a used Street Triple R, in my own opinion.

IMO the best measure for which would be faster, in line with how they are intended to be used, would be lap times around a track. I can't find published laptimes for either, Motorcycle.com used to do this for their shootouts but apparently they don't anymore.

The fastest bike I have owned is one of the following, depending on what yardstick you are using for "fast":
1994 Kawasaki ZX-11
1997 Triumph Daytona T595
2011 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 (cousin of the Z1000)

I have never ridden the FZ-09 because I have no interest in it. Everything I would like about it would be better done by a used Street Triple R, in my own opinion.

Okay fair enough. What happened to your Ninja 1000? Pretty nice bike.

OP should also get quotes for insurance.... Definitely makes a difference on bike cost.

I sold it to help fund going back to school. I have the GS500 because it is much faster than the TTC, and comparable in cost (ins. is a bit more than $600 a year, simple as dirt to maintain)

Okay fair enough. What happened to your Ninja 1000? Pretty nice bike.

OP should also get quotes for insurance.... Definitely makes a difference on bike cost.

My insurance cost isn't a huge deal, I already pay 300+ a month for the R6. It's all about the bike!

Chasem has offered to let me try out his FZ, which is very kind of him. Looking forward to it! :D

My insurance cost isn't a huge deal, I already pay 300+ a month for the R6. It's all about the bike!

Chasem has offered to let me try out his FZ, which is very kind of him. Looking forward to it! :D
Try out a Busa. I know it's not what you had in mind but it's like riding a super comfy couch that can push your eyeballs so far back into your head it makes it hard to see. Super comfy for a passenger too. I know it's slightly fugly but please at least test one out before you write it off completely.

2014 FZ-09
0-60 2.7s
10.6 1/4

2013 Z1000
0-60 3.1
10.75 1/4

Wow, I got the wrong bike, the FZ-09 with 115hp is faster to 60 and 1/4 than my Tuono with 170HP. What am I missing here?

2014 fz-09

0-100 km/h (0-62 mph): 4.000 seconds
1/4 mile (0.4 km): 11.250 seconds

-bikez.com-

I previously copied and pasted data from Cycle World.. They might not be completely accurate, but 4 second 0-62 seems a bit off.

veteq your Tuono has way more top end, look at the trap speed. Just some brief browsing and I found trap speeds of 145MPH at 10.2 :thumbleft:

As pointed out previously, 0-60 can swing massively with different riders.

Found the Dyno video from Cycle World on their FZ-09.

[video=youtube_share;lnaTOiGSLyk]http://youtu.be/lnaTOiGSLyk[/video]

Last edited:
I just want to thank Chase for letting me ride his FZ-09 today. What a lovely bike! I really appreciate it man. It was nice meeting you, we will definitely have to go for a ride sometime. You're more then welcome to come out on a MD or TTSR ride anytime.

Thoughts on the FZ-09:
Pros:
-Torque is phenomenal
-Comfy
-Wind blast wasn't bad at all
-Power wheelies like none other
-Riders who complain about "A" mode being twitchy are bad riders and have no throttle control.. My R6 and liter bikes aren't as smooth as the A Mode.
-Accelerates to 170 faster then my R6 easily (on a track/closed course)

Cons:
-Suspension wasn't set up for me but, I could tell that the front was really soft. I would have to go with a full Ohlins set up to make it like an SS.
-The exhaust, I'd have my good friend who makes custom exhausts & bikes (Spitfire Customs) make an MV Augusta F3 style 3 port pipe for that beautiful triple!

I just want to thank Chase for letting me ride his FZ-09 today. What a lovely bike! I really appreciate it man. It was nice meeting you, we will definitely have to go for a ride sometime. You're more then welcome to come out on a MD or TTSR ride anytime.

Thoughts on the FZ-09:
Pros:
-Torque is phenomenal
-Comfy
-Wind blast wasn't bad at all
-Power wheelies like none other
-Riders who complain about "A" mode being twitchy are bad riders and have no throttle control.. My R6 and liter bikes aren't as smooth as the A Mode.
-Accelerates to 170 faster then my R6 easily (on a track/closed course)

Cons:
-Suspension wasn't set up for me but, I could tell that the front was really soft. I would have to go with a full Ohlins set up to make it like an SS.
-The exhaust, I'd have my good friend who makes custom exhausts & bikes (Spitfire Customs) make an MV Augusta F3 style 3 port pipe for that beautiful triple!

No problem Matthew,

The hindle on your R6 sounded sweeeeeet. Due to an old back injury I was definitely feeling the supersport after a few minutes.... haha (man I feel old)

and yea I'm pretty sure your R6 throttle is more sensitive.... :D

You folks are overlooking an obvious choice. A Burgman 650 can out run an R1.

Or so I've heard. :lmao:

Back
Top Bottom