Have a Yamaha R6, want a new bike to ride every day (Looking at the FZ-09). | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Have a Yamaha R6, want a new bike to ride every day (Looking at the FZ-09).

I'm just going to leave this here: http://www.kijiji.ca/v-street-cruis...-z1000-demo-unit-blow-out-pricing-1/584292642

Let us know when you've picked it up. For reference, 2014's are 12,999+tax

Check out the Ninja 1000 if you want a little more touring, than sport, but still on the sporty side.

and if none of those work out, grab a 2nd gen Busa and call it a day.

I'm going to check this out! 10 G's is what I was looking to spend basically (give or take), I want to go test this thing out. Thank you man!

I appreciate all the help guys. I'm going to really look into the FZ-09, Z1000, Street Triple R and the new VFR possibly.

Looks wise, the FZ09 and Z1000 are killer, I'm assuming the Z performs better (will test out both within the next 2 weeks) and I may just be on a new Kawi.

Not a huge fan of Ducati's, the dry clutch makes me want to barf. The KTM's price is bonkers. Jap bikes = best bang for buck

I appreciate all the help guys. I'm going to really look into the FZ-09, Z1000, Street Triple R and the new VFR possibly.

Looks wise, the FZ09 and Z1000 are killer, I'm assuming the Z performs better (will test out both within the next 2 weeks) and I may just be on a new Kawi.

Not a huge fan of Ducati's, the dry clutch makes me want to barf. The KTM's price is bonkers. Jap bikes = best bang for buck

Sounds like you narrowed it down. FYI the Ducatis I listed don't have dry clutch. I'm not sure any of the new ones do.
Could be wrong though.
Forgot about the new S1000R looks to be a nice package.
But between the FZ 09 & Z1000 I'd probably go with the FZ 09. It's got less power than the Z1000 but it's still a powerful bike. On the spec sheet is weighs less also. How accurate those specs are? Who knows but approx. 70lbs is significant. Try them both out and then choose.

The Street triple R has it's ups and downs. I'm like you, where I do long distance trips 700km plus each weekend.

The Pros:
- Tons of fun to ride.
- Power on demand
- Smoothness
- Cable driven throttle (not fly-by-wire)
- Aggressive adjustable suspension
- Looks sweet

Cons:
- Seat is decent at best. Long rides will leave you with a sore *** as there barely is any padding.
- Lack of wind screen; get's a little overwhelming on windy days while at highway speeds.
- 2 up is uncomfortable as the angle of the bike pushes your passenger into you.
- Mirrors aren't that great either.
- Price is a little high for what you get

Also, the MV Agusta Brutale 675 was worse than the Triple in terms of comfort.

Zero Gravity has two options for the Z1000.

image_227_compare1.jpg

I've done three test rides in a z1000, about an hour and a half in total. Great engine, very easy to ride bike, but it will rip your arms off if you twist it. Great fork and brakes, the headlight actually does give decent air protection.
It has three issues: those stock pipes have to go, they are fugly, the gearing is too short, and needs changing for highway riding, and the rear shock is sprung for Rob Ford.

I really want an offroad bike.... :happy1:

Last edited:
****!!! $7K?! And only 10K on it? Wow

Yeah, pretty strange. Top selling bike in Europe, but they don't seem to retain their value here. Personally I think they hit the sweet spot between SS and sport tourer. Until the S1000F comes out, there really isn't anything else that competes. Certainly not the new VFR800, 25 lbs heavier 25 less ftlbs of torque and 25 less hp all for $500 more.

Yeah, pretty strange. Top selling bike in Europe, but they don't seem to retain their value here. Personally I think they hit the sweet spot between SS and sport tourer. Until the S1000F comes out, there really isn't anything else that competes. Certainly not the new VFR800, 25 lbs heavier 25 less ftlbs of torque and 25 less hp all for $500 more.

Actually that is way below market price. I sold mine not that long ago (last spring, I think?) and it was for a lot more than that!

Z1000
Curb Weight
487.3 lbs.

FZ09
Curb

Big difference there.

I will be test riding the MT09 in a few weeks. I will come back with results.

Actually that is way below market price. I sold mine not that long ago (last spring, I think?) and it was for a lot more than that!

Looked at the pics, and it looks pretty cherry. Someone's gonna end up with a very sweet deal.

Glad that you got a good price. I saw a 2012 sitting on the floor at GP for at least 5 months. I guess it sold, as its not on their website now.

I've got 43,000 kms on mine. I don't expect much, so I guess I'm better off just riding it into the ground (and having a great time doing it).

Last edited:
Glad that you got a good price. I saw a 2012 sitting on the floor at GP for at least 5 months. I guess it sold, as its not on their website now.

I've got 43,000 kms on mine. I don't expect much, so I guess I'm better off just riding it into the ground (and having a great time doing it).

You're depressing me.
I've got 70k on my FZ6 and 3 accidents lol

Yes, but there is a big power difference and the Z1000 has real suspension.

Z1000 suspension didn't really feel substantially better. Aftermarket shock goes a LONG way on the FZ-09.

It really depends upon what the OP is looking for.

FZ-09 feels nimble/lighter and more flick-able. You can't really change that fact. I don't think you will be able to shave 70 pounds off the Z1000 easily.

CafeRay we all know you love the Z1000, but lets be honest about the "big power difference" the Z1000 has........

2014 FZ-09
0-60 2.7s
10.6 1/4

2013 Z1000
0-60 3.1
10.75 1/4

If you find more sources, feel free to post them up. On the street the power is already retard level IMO, and serious track people would be upgrading the suspension on both bikes most likely.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom