Getting stuck behind a Harleytrain | Page 8 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Getting stuck behind a Harleytrain

This is just another childish sportbike vs cruiser pissing match, nothing more.

I wouldn't say that....
Cruiser riders that know how to ride have mentioned to me that they get annoyed with the slow moving trains as well.

Somebody mentioned that there's the intimidation factor. I've seen it. Last summer, following a harley train on the Dragon. Caught up to another cruiser, who was clearly frustrated by the train in front of him. He started bunny hopping, and I followed. Both of us moving past safely, received nothing but honks, fingers and curses. Did it hurt my feelings? Not at all. Did it make me laugh? Yup.
It was a stereotypical cruiser rear-brake-only rider train...

Do harleys even have killswitches? I don't think theyre that advanced yet.

new for 2016 harley killswitch....

depositphotos_1145349-Old-rusty-anchor.jpg

Last edited:
Yeah, this.

This is just another childish sportbike vs cruiser pissing match, nothing more.

Clearly you drive a cruiser and have no idea what you are talking about... They do not let you pass safely if in a herd and often behave in a dangerous manner if you do try and pass safely.

BB

SS killswitch:
300px-Newport_Whitepit_Lane_pot_hole.JPG

Personally, I've come across as many SS trains, as Harley ones.
They're even a little more annoying as they will open it right up on the straights, get you thinking "yay we're gonna go now", and then shut it down in the corners.

The best idea is to ride your own ride, and find a better route, that neither will take.
IMG_1287.jpg

You know, the whole phenomenon is bewildering. The "Harley Train" is an inherently unsafe way to ride. Side by side with small amounts of space between bikes, ridden generally by newish riders. With the spacing that close you have to pay, or you should pay, more attention to your fellow riders than to the scenery, so what's the point. If you are trying to emulate "outlaw" bikers, they only ride like that for funerals, otherwise they are staggered maintaining lots of room, and generally exceeding the speed limit and constantly changing lanes. Watching a "Harley Train" park is a lot of fun as well, just spend a couple of hours in Hockley on a Sun. Don't get me wrong more than 4 SS riders can be a mess as well, but from my experience there are a lot fewer of them so they don't impact my life too much, unlike the long lines of agricultural equipment ridden by pirates I see every week.

It's been my experience that cruiser groups typically ride at around 10 over the limit when on 2 lane roads.

If if you can't hack driving only 10 over (cough, cough) then that's not their problem, that's firmly yours. You don't get to push traffic off the road just because you feel the need for speed and consider the posted limit a mere suggestion or encumbrance to your enjoyment.

And as I mentioned earlier, perhaps there's a new rider amongst the group, hence the speed. Or would you rather they all drive beyond their abilities (because the SS guys are all invincible rocket ships and would never crash) and we're all saying RIP in the fallen riders forum at the results?

All this thread demonstrates to the public is that most SS riders just want to go whatever speed they so desire, everyone else on the road is but a mere obstacle to blow past at or near 172 territory.

Freakin relax. This "us vs them" mentality amongst cyclists is rediculous when we're all enthusiasts of the same very limited hobby.

Last edited:
The "freakin relax" part is the way to go, whatever you ride it is supposed to be fun. Stop take a drink of water, let them get ahead of you or turn off and take a different road. Whether its a slow moving group of bikers or an old man driving at 10 below the limit with 40 cars backed up behind him unfortunately the public roads were not built for just you. In any case my experience is that the typical "Harley Train" will be getting out of the way shortly for the needed donut and coffee break at Timmies.

It's been my experience that cruiser groups typically ride at around 10 over the limit when on 2 lane roads.

If if you can't hack driving only 10 over (cough, cough) then that's not their problem, that's firmly yours. You don't get to push traffic off the road just because you feel the need for speed and consider the posted limit a mere suggestion or encumbrance to your enjoyment.

And as I mentioned earlier, perhaps there's a new rider amongst the group, hence the speed. Or would you rather they all drive beyond their abilities (because the SS guys are all invincible rocket ships and would never crash) and we're all saying RIP in the fallen riders forum at the results?

All this thread demonstrates to the public is that most SS riders just want to go whatever speed they so desire, everyone else on the road is but a mere obstacle to blow past at or near 172 territory.

Freakin relax. This "us vs them" mentality amongst cyclists is rediculius when we're all enthusiasts of the same very limited hobby.

Well, as the saying goes, "If you're not swearing at others when you're driving then you're simply not paying close enough attention."
The sheer amount of ineptitude on the roads nowadays is simply staggering. People who can't drive in their own lanes, people who go way too fast or way too slow...

As for the earlier posts about there maybe being a newbie rider in the train and everyone is riding slow enough to accommodate them, well, isn't it reasonable to assume that if you're scared to ride the speed limit on a highway, then maybe you shouldn't be riding on the highway just yet? If your skills can't cope with it, then work on them until they can.
I don't care if you're a newbie SS, newbie cruiser, newbie car or whatever. If you can't drive or ride according to the road, then simply don't!!!!

The "freakin relax" part is the way to go, whatever you ride it is supposed to be fun. Stop take a drink of water, let them get ahead of you or turn off and take a different road. Whether its a slow moving group of bikers or an old man driving at 10 below the limit with 40 cars backed up behind him unfortunately the public roads were not built for just you. In any case my experience is that the typical "Harley Train" will be getting out of the way shortly for the needed donut and coffee break at Timmies.

Freakin relax. This "us vs them" mentality amongst cyclists is rediculous when we're all enthusiasts of the same very limited hobby.

This thread is about the 10 under HD train crowd. If your cruiser riders don't fit this category there should be no need to defend them with a slander of SS riders.

Agreed but it sounds like you need to relax.. lol I love cruiser bikes.. I just don't ride one yet..

If I want to pass a long train of vehicles be it Harley's or MiniVans... I'm going to do it when I see an opening. I (and I am sure many others) don't give a hoot if I go 150+ because its for mere seconds and a necessary part of the ability to pass quickly/safely. When the avg speed of cars is roughly 100 in an 80, that gives room for an extra 10-20kmh before the hammer drops. If 1 vehicle feels comfortable at 120 as opposed to the 100, you as another vehicle operator have 0 rights to block or prevent another motorist from doing what they do. What you CAN do is call the cops. But if you (anyone that tries to manipulate traffic) is actually committing a crime as well. If you speed up to prevent anyone from merging or if you purposefully try to prevent people from passing you, then it is the blocker that is creating the danger by not letting others be as they please. If you were a cop car, no one would try and pass you. Even if you WERE cops at one point, that doesn't give anyone the right to "act" like a cop with their civilian vehicle.

I'm glad my bike is fast enough to never allow another person to control what I do. It's my license. If I want to risk spending some $$.. its my choice to make, doesn't matter how anyone feels about it. I don't do dumb things, but speeding 30kmh over the limit is not something I would consider a great deal riskier than going 10 over. :D If a very fast cruiser wants to pass me, I do nothing to prevent it. Why would anyone behave like that..? :rolleyes:

You know, the whole phenomenon is bewildering. The "Harley Train" is an inherently unsafe way to ride. Side by side with small amounts of space between bikes, ridden generally by newish riders. With the spacing that close you have to pay, or you should pay, more attention to your fellow riders than to the scenery, so what's the point. If you are trying to emulate "outlaw" bikers, they only ride like that for funerals, otherwise they are staggered maintaining lots of room, and generally exceeding the speed limit and constantly changing lanes. Watching a "Harley Train" park is a lot of fun as well, just spend a couple of hours in Hockley on a Sun. Don't get me wrong more than 4 SS riders can be a mess as well, but from my experience there are a lot fewer of them so they don't impact my life too much, unlike the long lines of agricultural equipment ridden by pirates I see every week.
Well put!

Wow, where to begin:

My experience is that large cruiser groups ride 10 k below, or maybe at the limit on the straights, and slow considerably in the corners. That makes sense given the difficulties riding in a tight group (see above). Sport riders tend to stretch out to take the line in the corners.

Ever heard of the concepts of "design speed" and "85th percentile"? Posted speeds are political decisions which change (either up or down) with political pressure. If its safe for two lane roads in the mountains in BC with grade changes, curves and other visual obstructions to be posted at up to 110, then why must straight open concession roads in Ontario be limited to 80, or even 60 in many cases. If an SS rider wants to risk a fine by going higher than the posted limit, that's their problem. The differential between posted limits in Ontario, and the speed at which up to 85% of drivers are comfortable driving at (the 85th percentile) is so great that even Corollas are regularly cruising at 10 - 15 over. If Cruiser riders want to ride slower than the flow of traffic, that's fine, so long as they don't do it in groups that are so large, they make it impossible for others to get by, thereby making it everyone else's problem. Not much difference than 2 transport trucks side by side doing 105 down the 401 with a mile of cars behind. If the New Zealand 5 car rule was applied here, Harley Trains would be illegal.

If new riders have difficulty with an 80 k speed limit, they certainly can't handle tight formation riding. Experienced group leaders should realize that they would be putting these rookies and the riders around them at risk. If they were at the front of the group and went down, the pile up could be horrendous. And don't think accidents are limited to sport bikes. Unfortunately images from news reports seem to show just as many mangled cruisers as sport bikes.

To follow your logic, then most cruiser riders just want to show how tough they are by riding as a gang and couldn't give a carp about who they obstruct or intimidate.

Total agree, I just don't see how you make this the conclusion to all your contradictory comments above!

Please persist with the stereotype that all Harley riders only ride on the sunny warm weekends, at 10 under the limit, and trailer their bikes to the riding event.

My insurance rates thank you for this.

I'm in the Deals Gap area all this week and today was the first day with significant traffic.

95+% of the Harley riders move to the right and wave an upcoming sport bike past. No issue and I always give them a thank-you wave. Occasionally (encountered one today) they need a tap of the horn to let them know that there is someone behind them - the one that I encountered today had insufficient cornering clearance to his highway pegs (common problem) and was scraping and wobbling around corners ... rather scary. But he moved over immediately and waved me past after a tap of the horn. I'm quite sure he was so busy doing his own thing that he was not checking his mirrors.

Then there's "that guy" ... the one who takes up the whole lane, refuses to use the slow-vehicle pull-offs, has erratic and unpredictable (and SLOW) cornering lines, but has 375 lb.ft of torque, all which makes him hard to pass safely (I refuse to take chances to do it), and I know he knows I'm there. I had to wait for a straightaway long enough for my bike to stretch its legs to get past.

It is not just the Harley riders that don't watch their mirrors. There were a couple of BMW ADV riders who had no idea what a proper cornering line was and were sloooooow as a result. And yes, sport bike riders are often too busy to check their mirrors, too.

Hey it's not just harelys that that ride in a slow parade. I've had to pass a large pack of goldwings dawdling along - AND I was riding my own Wing. Spooled it up and blew by when I had half a chance.

I was also held up sportbikes on the BRP - same deal wait for the opening and blow by.

I'm in the Deals Gap area all this week and today was the first day with significant traffic.

95+% of the Harley riders move to the right and wave an upcoming sport bike past. No issue and I always give them a thank-you wave. Occasionally (encountered one today) they need a tap of the horn to let them know that there is someone behind them - the one that I encountered today had insufficient cornering clearance to his highway pegs (common problem) and was scraping and wobbling around corners ... rather scary. But he moved over immediately and waved me past after a tap of the horn. I'm quite sure he was so busy doing his own thing that he was not checking his mirrors.

Then there's "that guy" ... the one who takes up the whole lane, refuses to use the slow-vehicle pull-offs, has erratic and unpredictable (and SLOW) cornering lines, but has 375 lb.ft of torque, all which makes him hard to pass safely (I refuse to take chances to do it), and I know he knows I'm there. I had to wait for a straightaway long enough for my bike to stretch its legs to get past.

It is not just the Harley riders that don't watch their mirrors. There were a couple of BMW ADV riders who had no idea what a proper cornering line was and were sloooooow as a result. And yes, sport bike riders are often too busy to check their mirrors, too.

I know we're posting in a necro'ed thread, but I had the incredible blind luck of being down there (in the middle of the week, mind you) and I don't think I got held up once. There were other riders, of course, but IIRC literally all of them cheerfully waved me past. I think I just rolled pretty high that week because of seemingly how little traffic there was... or maybe it was too hot for some folks, IDK.

You know, the whole phenomenon is bewildering. The "Harley Train" is an inherently unsafe way to ride. Side by side with small amounts of space between bikes, ridden generally by newish riders. With the spacing that close you have to pay, or you should pay, more attention to your fellow riders than to the scenery, so what's the point.

Any properly and well organized group riding I've ever seen or been part of is based on the standard staggered formation. NEVER side by side. Not sure what you've been seeing, but it doesn't sound like a typical organized group of riders, but a bunch of inexperienced or disorganized riders. Those come in all sorts, cruisers, tourers, and sport, as evidence by several of the recent responses.

The key to staggered formation is that you have the whole road to yourself - nobody else should be in the lane beside you in case you need it for obstacle avoidance, sand/gravel on the road...whatever.

gap.gif

Staggered formation is suitable for roads of the boring straight variety. It is unsuitable for roads with twists and turns. Attempting to maintain such a formation through corners forces everyone onto incorrect (i.e. SLOW - and potentially dangerous) lines through the corners.

The issue at hand isn't really staggered formation or not ... it's riding in such a manner as to infuriate people behind (by being too slow) and simultaneously not facilitate overtaking.

Please persist with the stereotype that all Harley riders only ride on the sunny warm weekends, at 10 under the limit, and trailer their bikes to the riding event.

My insurance rates thank you for this.

I thought collision and theft coverage was the biggest chunk of a new Hog's insurance?

Back
Top Bottom