Follow Along: 600rr to California | Page 26 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Follow Along: 600rr to California

Wheelieboy. I haven't read the whole thread. You are so blessed to have had such an opportunity; so adventurous. I believe many of us lived vicariously through you. "Youth is wasted on the young" certainly doesn't seem to apply to you :) Thanks for sharing!

I am surprised you did not consider a tank bag, would have been better than a backpack

@ Wheelieboy : loved your epic trip. I really loved these two videos California Canyon Riding: Latigo and your Apache Trail videos. Both of these videos demonstrate your riding skills. How long have you been riding?

Wheelieboy. I haven't read the whole thread. You are so blessed to have had such an opportunity; so adventurous. I believe many of us lived vicariously through you. "Youth is wasted on the young" certainly doesn't seem to apply to you :) Thanks for sharing!

I figured that I might as well do something like this while I'm young and have no commitments. To be honest, I had second thoughts days before my trip. I was pretty nervous since I've never done anything like this before and I was venturing into the unknown. But it was definitely worth it.

Love the pic!!!

Me too ;)

I am surprised you did not consider a tank bag, would have been better than a backpack

I thought about buying a tank bag but the issue was $$. The cost breakdown was for the trip only. I spent a lot of money before and after the trip on maintenance, wear and tear items, damages, camera equipment, equipment/tools to bring on my trip, heated gear etc. If you account for everything I spent which were related to the trip, the total is about $5000.

@ Wheelieboy : loved your epic trip. I really loved these two videos California Canyon Riding: Latigo and your Apache Trail videos. Both of these videos demonstrate your riding skills. How long have you been riding?

Glad you enjoyed following along. I've been riding for about 4 years. I used to race pocketbikes which helped me a lot with confidence through the curves. I'd also have to give a lot of credit to the cbr125 I owned for 2 years before getting my 600. I rode that thing for two years, tried to figure out its limits and I was still learning something new everyday. I laugh when people tell me they're bored of their low-cc bike after 2 months, they're just not riding it properly.

I thought about buying a tank bag but the issue was $$. The cost breakdown was for the trip only. I spent a lot of money before and after the trip on maintenance, wear and tear items, damages, camera equipment, equipment/tools to bring on my trip, heated gear etc. If you account for everything I spent which were related to the trip, the total is about $5000.

Did u consider sport touring tires?

Did u consider sport touring tires?

I have Pilot Road 3's on them right now.

I did consider it before my trip but I already had brand new Pures mounted. I though they would last 10 000kms but I was wrong. I got a flat anyways so I was forced to get new tires. It probably would have been more painful watching my 50% consumed tire get a nail in it than a 90% consumed tire.

Hey Wheelieboy! congrats on that Awesome trip, I did it once an 1100 miles trip in 15 hours from Laguna Beach, CA to Portland Oregon on my Ninja 600, but next trip I will stop and rest and enjoy the trip like you did. PM I work in richmond hill but live in Maple may be we get together and go for a ride on a weekend.

Ivan

Hey Wheelieboy! congrats on that Awesome trip, I did it once an 1100 miles trip in 15 hours from Laguna Beach, CA to Portland Oregon on my Ninja 600, but next trip I will stop and rest and enjoy the trip like you did. PM I work in richmond hill but live in Maple may be we get together and go for a ride on a weekend.

Ivan

Sounds good. My bike is still partially out of commission until next week or so. My sprocket only has 1000kms left so only local rides for me. I was pretty lazy putting the bike back together since I wasnt in a hurry to get back on. I havent ridden since the trip really. But at least the bike looks ride-able now :D

264261_770206044650_89905068_41229445_3955204_n.jpg

Sounds good. My bike is still partially out of commission until next week or so. My sprocket only has 1000kms left so only local rides for me. I was pretty lazy putting the bike back together since I wasnt in a hurry to get back on. I havent ridden since the trip really. But at least the bike looks ride-able now :D

Do u have 2 bikes? Or u swap fairings and tank?

Do u have 2 bikes? Or u swap fairings and tank?

Yes and Yes :D

I have 2 bikes, but only 1 CBR600. If you're wondering about the fairings, the red/orange ones were my spare aftermarket set of fairings, the black are OEM. For the gas tank, its only a fairing so I just swapped the fairing.

Last edited:

Ivan

264261_770206044650_89905068_41229445_3955204_n.jpg

What a small world we're living in. I also work in Richmond Hill and live in Maple. It would be great to join you guys for a ride. Speaking of riding, I'm off to Deals Gap next week :) Wheelie, your bike starting to looks better again.

I finally started to get off my lazy bum and sort through the videos that I took.

This was one of the scariest (but most scenic) ride of my life! Hang on tight.

[video=youtube;386A4WzqTB0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=386A4WzqTB0[/video]

Yikes. I would probably avoid that road even without the giant cliff down one side. What tires were you running and how did the bike feel on that kind of surface? How fast would you say you were going?

Yikes. I would probably avoid that road even without the giant cliff down one side. What tires were you running and how did the bike feel on that kind of surface? How fast would you say you were going?

I went to that road on purpose :D I knew what I was getting myself into and I'd do it again if I had the chance...maybe on a dual sport this time lol

I was running the Michelin Power Pures but I dont think it would have mattered what tire I was running unless I had knobbies. Going up the hill, I probably hit a max of 50km/h. Straight line wasnt a problem, but washboard in turns was a little difficult. Deep sand in a turn is even more difficult, you bascially have your forward momentum and thats it. You're still going straight if you turn your wheel. Accelerating up washboard was a bit interesting, just a whole bunch of wheel hop.

Sweet trip. So very jealous.

Doing something like this is definitely on my bucket list before settling down and having kids.

The pic's and vid's look amazing. Great write up.

Thanks for having us along.

-- Bob

On my way to Mullholland, I did some exploring and found Tuna Canyon Road. Its a 1 way downhill road down the mountain full of twists and turns. Although there was no traffic, I still had to take it quite slow as there were random rocks, sand, and sharp curves with no guardrails.

[video=youtube;M9B0HzMwrQY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9B0HzMwrQY[/video]

Back
Top Bottom