Federal politics | Page 6 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Federal politics

Hunters don't require pistols or assault rifles with high capacity and automatic action.

If you were hiking around in the north, where there's a hell of a lot of large wildlife, you might have a different opinion.

I maintain that we don't actually have a gun problem, but instead have a gang problem, but I also feel that a certain level of basic controls is a good thing.

I remember the time when the gun laws first started to clamp down too. I was playing soccer at Clark Blvd. Public School, in Brampton, listening to my pocket AM radio. The news announcer came on and said that there had been a shooting at Brampton Centennial secondary school and that kids and teachers were dead. That was only a couple of miles away. Michael Slobodian had gone to school with a guitar case full of guns and the first person he killed was one of his friends, who walked in on him with the guns in a washroom. Immediately after that Parliament started debating increased regulations on gun ownership. That's generally how it works; incident, knee jerk "See, we're doing something!" action on the part of government. The laws that were passed likely wouldn't have stopped Slobodian from taking his father's guns to school, but they weren't outrageously unreasonable.

I'm not speaking from a place of personal fear, I'm just one of that segment of the population that thinks citizens owning guns is not a good thing in a civilized society. To support that view, I point to a comparison of murder rates in countries where guns are highly regulated, to rates where guns are loosely regulated.

But I'm done with gun control discussion.

I used to believe like you did, then I learned more about firearms, they are tools. Personally I don't believe guns are the cause of homicides, they may be a tool but if a person wants to commit murder they will find a way, they want to commit mass murder i need only remind you of timmy mcveigh (who wasn't the first to commit mass murder in the USA with a bomb).

Looking at this graph I tend to believe gun ownership doesn't have a huge affect on homicides. I don't believe owning one will prevent one either. It's other socioeconomic conditions. Look at mexico with low gun ownership and a skyrocketed homicide rate...
Screen-Shot-2014-03-31-at-Monday-March-31-2.10-AM.png

Canada is around 30 firearms per 100 and near 2 homicides, switzerland has more firearms and less deaths. Mexico has lots of stabbings, maybe they should restrict knives there...

I used to believe like you did, then I learned more about firearms, they are tools. Personally I don't believe guns are the cause of homicides, they may be a tool but if a person wants to commit murder they will find a way, they want to commit mass murder i need only remind you of timmy mcveigh (who wasn't the first to commit mass murder in the USA with a bomb).

Looking at this graph I tend to believe gun ownership doesn't have a huge affect on homicides. I don't believe owning one will prevent one either. It's other socioeconomic conditions. Look at mexico with low gun ownership and a skyrocketed homicide rate...
Screen-Shot-2014-03-31-at-Monday-March-31-2.10-AM.png

Canada is around 30 firearms per 100 and near 2 homicides, switzerland has more firearms and less deaths. Mexico has lots of stabbings, maybe they should restrict knives there...

Tool or no tool, whatever, a gun is a device used to discharge a small hard projectile at very high velocity. You can dress it up however you want, but it's use needs to be controlled somehow. We don't have a system right now that pleases everybody but it pleases me that I can go about my day knowing I don't have to give this tool a second thought. Every day so far in my life has be thus. Anything that prevents us moving closer to an American type society is just fine by me. And the Mexican knifers? Can you imagine what they would do with a pistola at the ready?

This whole thread was asking about Federal Politics (which control firearms) and people were wondering why would anyone support the Conservatives -- and I told you why -- because only the Conservatives don't want to take my guns away, so I won't vote for anyone but them.

I understand and respect your position. It's different from my opinion, but that's okay.

Tool or no tool, whatever, a gun is a device used to discharge a small hard projectile at very high velocity. You can dress it up however you want, but it's use needs to be controlled somehow. We don't have a system right now that pleases everybody but it pleases me that I can go about my day knowing I don't have to give this tool a second thought. Every day so far in my life has be thus. Anything that prevents us moving closer to an American type society is just fine by me. And the Mexican knifers? Can you imagine what they would do with a pistola at the ready?

Thing is there's plenty of gun violence in mexico and they have stricter gun controls than we do. I am mostly happy with our gun laws, I would like to see open carry of pistols for hunting and rifles that are are only on the restricted list because they look scary removed from that list, there should be a reason like easily converted to automatic or too short not because they are black and scary looking.

According to bozo Biden all she needs to do is fire a round or two out the window and scare them off, sounds like a perfectly safe thing to do!
Lol.

I whole heartedly agree that firearms should be a controlled device. People who have a bad history or mental problems should never have contact with them

Mexicans and Brazilians are the poor mans' Venezuelan. What do you expect?

Places like Mexico and Brazil have high rates of gun deaths and have very restrictive gun laws, they're so high they're off that chart.

They also have corrupt/ineffective police forces, so that citizens have to take protection into their own hands. It would be more valid to stick to developed first-world countries.

They also have corrupt/ineffective police forces, so that citizens have to take protection into their own hands. It would be more valid to stick to developed first-world countries.

In the first study you linked they're listed as developed first world (civilised) countries... Being that some americans go to mexico for health care one could debate the USA's status

I was around for Trudeau Senior's Reign.

I don't think I can ever vote Liberal.

I thought that Canada had more privately owned long arms than the U.S. did, but the U.S. had tons of handguns.
Maybe that's changed now. I don't see a need for automatic weapons to hunt with.

I'll leave it at that.

An armed society is a polite society period. Remember when there were shootings on L.A freeways years ago. If you cut someone off or gave them the finger you were worried some nut would shoot you. Until they caught the person there were some very polite drivers on that freeway. Extreme example yes but consequences tend to keep the majority of people inline. The people who don't care about consequences can never be stopped unless they are killed anyway

I was around for Trudeau Senior's Reign.

I don't think I can ever vote Liberal.

I thought that Canada had more privately owned long arms than the U.S. did, but the U.S. had tons of handguns.
Maybe that's changed now. I don't see a need for automatic weapons to hunt with.

I'll leave it at that.

I think many people get confused by the term 'automatic action'.

A semi-automatic gun is a gun that automatically ejects a spent casing and loads a new round, so it is called an automatic action. It still takes pulling the trigger each time you wish to fire a round.

An automatic firing gun is prohibited here and as far as I know only the military have them (not sure if police have the option). Many military guns that are capable of automatic fire have a selector switch that allows semi-automatic fire, burst fire (3 shots at a pull), and full automatic. Full automatic fire is generally for enemy supression... i.e., you are not likely to hit your enemy, but you want them to keep their heads down/prevent them from aiming until your platoon can get in a better position. I have absolutely no use for a full automatic gun.

Using a semi-automatic can be beneficial in certain hunting scenarios. A semi-automatic shotgun is very useful in geese/duck hunting as you may need to take your 3 shots faster than you can pump a pump action. A semi-automatic rifle is very useful when hunting coyote as they are wily little bastards and you might not get the perfect shot placement. It is much more humane and efficient to double tap a coyote than have to follow its blood trail for 5km. Wild Boars are yet another example. They travel in packs, and usually semi-automatics are the gun of choice because you can take more than one before they scatter. If you only had a bolt or lever action you'd get one shot off and the rest would be gone.

It's funny, I think P.E. Trudeau was Canada's best PM ever, in the modern era at least, since Pearson. Mulroney was Reagan and Bush Sr.'s lap dog, and corrupt at the highest level.

An armed society is a polite society period. Remember when there were shootings on L.A freeways years ago. If you cut someone off or gave them the finger you were worried some nut would shoot you. Until they caught the person there were some very polite drivers on that freeway. Extreme example yes but consequences tend to keep the majority of people inline. The people who don't care about consequences can never be stopped unless they are killed anyway

Bull Sonny. I like my opinion way better. It's around here somewhere. Check it out some time.

Would Justin have the brass nards to do this?

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/stephe...ladimir-putin-to-get-out-of-ukraine-1.2836382

Good job Mr. Harper.

"Harper's spokesman, Jason MacDonald, said ... Harper told Putin: "I guess I'll shake your hand but I have only one thing to say to you: You need to get out of Ukraine."According to MacDonald, Putin did not respond positively. He didn't provide further details."

What's that they say about fishing stories?

Time to replace Obama with Harper's face.:
PUTIN-CONFRONTS-OBAMA-ON-THE-UKRAINE-ISSUE.jpg

"Harper's spokesman, Jason MacDonald, said ... Harper told Putin: "I guess I'll shake your hand but I have only one thing to say to you: You need to get out of Ukraine."According to MacDonald, Putin did not respond positively. He didn't provide further details."

What's that they say about fishing stories?

Putin is not controllable. That doesn't mean we shouldn't stand up to him. And Harper has way bigger attachments than Obama ever will. Want to talk about a laughing stock on the world stage, Justin has a great mentor in Obama, that's for sure.

Back
Top Bottom