Federal politics | Page 4 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Federal politics

Another reason to vote liberal federally, is to change this insane "war on drugs" path we are on. It's as puritanical as the prohibition on alcohol was. Marijuana needs to be regulated not criminalized.

Another reason to vote liberal federally, is to change this insane "war on drugs" path we are on. It's as puritanical as the prohibition on alcohol was. Marijuana needs to be regulated not criminalized.

Funny that, and yet the liberals want to have a "war on guns". Yep, that's logical......

I've already commented on that too. Because he hasn't lied to me in office yet. Anyone who claims to be an ideological conservative, who will vote for Harper again without some serious consideration, is lying to himself about being conservative.

You can't truly believe that it won't take Justin about 2 mins in office to start lying do you?

And in terms of ideological conservative, correct, they don't fit that definition. But rest assured, taking Justin or Mulchair as an alternative will definitely end in disaster. But hey, why not give them a "hope and change" try? (Not)

You can't truly believe that it won't take Justin about 2 mins in office to start lying do you?

And in terms of ideological conservative, correct, they don't fit that definition. But rest assured, taking Justin or Mulchair as an alternative will definitely end in disaster. But hey, why not give them a "hope and change" try? (Not)

Right. Why bother with hope and change for the better? (Sarcasm)

Let's just wait and let Canadians decide democratically. Just like they did with Ford in Toronto.

Last edited:

You can honestly project a darker future than what we have now as far as federal government contribution to our country? I just cannot ....

Yes, the debt might be a bit higher under someone else, and there would not be a silly tax break for few privileged, but the feeling of not being embarrassed when Canada comes up internationally, would be a huge bonus very hard to dismiss. Right now we are a laughing stock on too many levels ... only Israel thinks of us highly, I guess.

I'm not going to eliminate a leader as an option because he 'might' lie to me at some nebulous point in the future. I'm not going to reward someone who has created the most impenetrably dense Federal government in recent memory. I'm not going to reward a party leader who has both lied, and spat upon the guiding principles of our government.

The simple truth is that the Liberals were a more 'fiscally conservative' government than is the current Conservative led one. If Trudeau ends up lying to me, I'll vote him out too. Mulcair is way too left for me.

If you return governments that lie to you, you're then telling them that lying is OK. If you re-elect governments that talk about honouring our fallen, but ignore our living veterans, then you're telling them that's OK. If you vote for a party that uses public money in order to fund their private advertising, then you're telling them that's OK. Start slapping these people on the wrist and maybe, just maybe, they'll start learning that they'll be out of a job if they won't do it right.

Harper has lived up to one promise that he made that I appreciate -- he got rid of the Long Gun Registry.

The conservatives are also working on some long overdue firearm legislation that is heading in the right direction, so I will continue to support them.

The cons have done a lot to irritate me as well, but unfortunately I will be a one issue voter until the other parties change their stance on firearm ownership.

The Liberals scare me the most. It is not what they say, it is what they don't say. Liberal governments in this country have always been knee-jerk reaction governments that are likely to ban pretty much anything if the opportunity arose to gain them some brownie points.

Ideally my vote would go towards the Libertarians, but since they currently don't stand a snowball's chance in hell actually being elected anywhere, I'm better off using my vote for the next best party which is working towards my interests that does stand a chance to be elected.

I don't have any problem with a war on guns. If I want a gun, I'll register it.

I'm not going to eliminate a leader as an option because he 'might' lie to me at some nebulous point in the future. I'm not going to reward someone who has created the most impenetrably dense Federal government in recent memory. I'm not going to reward a party leader who has both lied, and spat upon the guiding principles of our government.

The simple truth is that the Liberals were a more 'fiscally conservative' government than is the current Conservative led one. If Trudeau ends up lying to me, I'll vote him out too. Mulcair is way too left for me.

If you return governments that lie to you, you're then telling them that lying is OK. If you re-elect governments that talk about honouring our fallen, but ignore our living veterans, then you're telling them that's OK. If you vote for a party that uses public money in order to fund their private advertising, then you're telling them that's OK. Start slapping these people on the wrist and maybe, just maybe, they'll start learning that they'll be out of a job if they won't do it right.

We both know he will lie, I'm just not afraid to state it up front. So using that as an excuse to vote out other liars is a bit simplistic.

Unfortunately, the sheeple will likely vote Justin in, just like they did for Hope and Change Obama. I have no doubt we'll end up in similar straights under mr-lack-of-any-real-political-experience Justine......

You can honestly project a darker future than what we have now as far as federal government contribution to our country? I just cannot ....

Yes, the debt might be a bit higher under someone else, and there would not be a silly tax break for few privileged, but the feeling of not being embarrassed when Canada comes up internationally, would be a huge bonus very hard to dismiss. Right now we are a laughing stock on too many levels ... only Israel thinks of us highly, I guess.

Have you actually listened to Justin speak? Want to talk about making a laughing stock of us on the worldwide stage.

And Israel thinks highly of us? Good, maybe it's because our fine government has the brass nuts to speak out against the partly line towing libtards ISIS loving other worldwide leaders.......

I see that you missed the point of applying the exact same logic to the war on drugs to the liberal war on guns............. ;)

It's not about applying the same logic. The topic is different. How is it illogical that I agree with one program but disagree with another? By your "logic" if I disagree with the war on drugs, I should also disagree with a war on guns? That's just stupid. (Please notice that I called your point stupid, not you.) We simply have different opinions, and nothing to do with applying logic.

in a democracy, we can only hope that more voters agree with our personally held opinions than those that agree with a conflicting opinion.

Last edited:
I don't have any problem with a war on guns. If I want a gun, I'll register it.

What good, in your opinion, does a registry serve?

People intent on breaking the law have no issue not following another law and having unregistered guns.

Therefore any registry, such as the current handgun registry, only serves to annoy law-abiding citizens. It does absolutely nothing against those that intend to use the firearm to break the law -- what does one more broken law mean to them?

People intent on breaking the law have no issue not following another law and having unregistered guns.

Therefore any registry, such as the current handgun registry, only serves to annoy law-abiding citizens. It does absolutely nothing against those that intend to use the firearm to break the law -- what does one more broken law mean to them?

You are correct and I agree with the fact that it's just an annoyance. And it's a program that will cost some tax dollars to run.

My "single issue" is the needless damage to young lives and their futures that a criminal record for pot possession causes. That's more than just an annoyance and I'll bet affects more people more deeply than those having to register a gun. The tax dollars involved policing, in the court process, and incarceration is way more than a gun registry program too, I'll bet.

So if you're looking to save the unnecessary spending of tax dollars, the war on drugs(weed) costs WAY more than the war on guns.

Last edited:
Harper has lived up to one promise that he made that I appreciate -- he got rid of the Long Gun Registry.

The conservatives are also working on some long overdue firearm legislation that is heading in the right direction, so I will continue to support them.

The cons have done a lot to irritate me as well, but unfortunately I will be a one issue voter until the other parties change their stance on firearm ownership.

The Liberals scare me the most. It is not what they say, it is what they don't say. Liberal governments in this country have always been knee-jerk reaction governments that are likely to ban pretty much anything if the opportunity arose to gain them some brownie points.

Ideally my vote would go towards the Libertarians, but since they currently don't stand a snowball's chance in hell actually being elected anywhere, I'm better off using my vote for the next best party which is working towards my interests that does stand a chance to be elected.

Were your weapons registered? Then OPP and QPP have your information. RCMP may still also. Our current gun licensing system seems to work pretty well, absent the long gun registry. The American model shows that some controls are a very good thing and our largest issues, at present, seem to be overflow from their debacle of a system.

You don't think that the Conservatives are just as much a "governance by sound bite" party? Look at mandatory minimums and increased penalties. Our penal system pretty much works, except for the odd outlaying case. You don't fix small problems with huge overhauls. Our system has a fraction of the recidivism rate that the American system does, which is the complete abortion that the Conservatives want to emulate. And, incidentally, it was mandatory minimums that ultimately resulted in things like multiples of time served for pretrial custody. Their reforms in this area are purely for vote getting and are a move in the wrong direction, based on actual evidence.

As a holder of a Restricted Weapon cert. I disagree. If anything the American model has shown us that a lack of proper controls on handguns creates a conduit for legally obtaining, and then the illegal reselling of handguns. This same issue doesn't appear to exist, or at least isn't as pronounced, where long arms are involved.

Last edited:
Were your weapons registered? Then OPP and QPP have your information. RCMP may still also. Our current gun licensing system seems to work pretty well, absent the long gun registry. The American model shows that some controls are a very good thing and our largest issues, at present, seem to be overflow from their debacle of a system.

You don't think that the Conservatives are just as much a "governance by sound bite" party? Look at mandatory minimums and increased penalties. Our penal system pretty much works, except for the odd outlaying case. You don't fix small problems with huge overhauls. Our system has a fraction of the recidivism rate that the American system does, which is the complete abortion that the Conservatives want to emulate. And, incidentally, it was mandatory minimums that ultimately resulted in things like multiples of time served for pretrial custody. Their reforms in this area are purely for vote getting and are a move in the wrong direction, based on actual evidence.

As a holder of a Restricted Weapon cert. I disagree. If anything the American model has shown us that a lack of proper controls on handguns creates a conduit for legally obtaining, and then the illegal reselling of handguns. This same issue doesn't appear to exist, or at least isn't as pronounced, where long arms are involved.
I haven't been in possession of a weapon since I was in the military. The rifles I own (not weapons because I'm not going to war, nor am I ever going to use them against humans) were bought after the registry was canceled.

I do agree that pot should be decriminalized, but I don't smoke pot, so I'm not going to vote liberal just to get something I don't do legalized and something I do criminalized.

Prolly vote Libs cus want pot legalized. At my age I've lost a step, legal pot will level playing field. That is, pot for my adversaries.

I haven't been in possession of a weapon since I was in the military. The rifles I own (not weapons because I'm not going to war, nor am I ever going to use them against humans) were bought after the registry was canceled.

I do agree that pot should be decriminalized, but I don't smoke pot, so I'm not going to vote liberal just to get something I don't do legalized and something I do criminalized.

A weapon is a weapon whether it's used on people, game, or targets. To consider it anything but is to not give it the respect it needs to receive, for safety.

Pot should be decriminalized and controlled. There is little reason to treat it any differently than alcohol and many of the arguments that are levelled against it (how it will cause developmental problems in children/teens with use for example) apply quite well to alcohol also. To think that children can't already acquire it is tantamount to sticking ones fingers in ones ears and say, "Lalalalalalala." Also the argument that legalizing it will make it more available to children seems to assume that they can't already get hold of alcohol, which is controlled.

I constantly hear people refer to Liberals as "paternalistic." How is the Conservative party any less so? The way that i see it they simply want to control us in subtly different ways.

Back
Top Bottom