Fat tire bicycles? | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Fat tire bicycles?

Any hardtail 27.5 friendly trails on the hamilton mountain?
Honestly I would ask you to show me any not friendly trails to a 27.5.....that's got to be one of the best all around bikes in either hardtail or full suspension :dontknow:

Honestly I would ask you to show me any not friendly trails to a 27.5.....that's got to be one of the best all around bikes in either hardtail or full suspension :dontknow:

Sorry new to anything without motors. Just picked one up and looking for trails, should of perhaps posted in the other bike thread.

I would tend to agree. Fortunately I have very easy access to many tight knarly trails and climbs couple minutes from the house otherwise I would look into 27.5 hardtail. That would be a lot of fun in a cityscape.

Any hardtail 27.5 friendly trails on the hamilton mountain?

Oh crap, I meant to say 27.5 plus. That's the newish mid fat tire (3in.) Needs dedicated frame to carry those wheel sizes.

I don't know the mountain at all except last week I crossed the 403 from Ancaster on the foot bridge and linked into some nice trails at the mountain brow. I didn't explore because road bike. Next time.

Christie Conservation on hwy 5 has dedicated mtb trails and of course the Dundas Valley. That's plenty for now:cool:

Slight thread derail....any cool trails for a NORMAL mountain bike being ridden by a beginner in this sport in the GTA? Closer to Etobicoke/West End would be ideal.

I just started mountain biking this summer and have a great trails near my home in Oakville. I enter Bronte Creek Provincial Park from the east side (Upper Middle Road and Bronte Rd. The trail runs along the east bank of Bronte Creek and the first 4KMs are very easy. You can cross to the north side of Dundas St and things start getting tougher with a lot of man made obsticals, steep drops and steep climbs. The trail continues over the rail tracks and under the 407. I had a bit of a mishap where my ambition outweighed my talent on a downhill a few weeks ago. I had to carry the bike a few KMs back to Dundas and call my better half for a ride home. She wasn't impressed.
11214234_10153297911761928_532326621307599844_n.jpg

How terrible would that be to use around the city? I'm thinking it would be useful during mild/snowy winter days.

Was recently advised by fat bike brethren hidden ice patches will easily upset fat bike. Rubber on ice is rubber on ice. Pre-studded tires are available as I understand it. May google that soon.

Optical delusion or bent wheel?

Front wheel caught a rut and bent resulting in me supermanning over the bars. It was actually pretty funny.

Better picture of wheel.

15%2B-%2B1

Last edited:
If you're going with studded tires, wouldn't a regular mountain bike work just as well?

Front wheel caught a rut and bent resulting in me supermanning over the bars. It was actually pretty funny.

Better picture of wheel.

15%2B-%2B1

Oh, I've heard about those. In the mtb world that's called taco. Well done.

Better picture of wheel.

15%2B-%2B1

I'm looking for something a little less extreme to start! LoL I'd say you got off fairly easy in this case.

Oh, I've heard about those. In the mtb world that's called taco. Well done.

Yes! That's what they called it at the bike shop.

The bike is a pretty low end Ghost from MEC that I bought to see how I liked the sport. I'm enjoying it so will likely be upgrading to a full suspension with some better components next year.

I'm looking for something a little less extreme to start! LoL I'd say you got off fairly easy in this case.

The only thing extreme is my lack of mountain biking skills. :lmao:

Sorry new to anything without motors. Just picked one up and looking for trails, should of perhaps posted in the other bike thread.
Oh well in that case congrats. It's an addictive sport and a lot of fun. Kelso has good trails and isn't horribly far from you. As for right in the hammer I have no idea.
Slight thread derail....any cool trails for a NORMAL mountain bike being ridden by a beginner in this sport in the GTA? Closer to Etobicoke/West End would be ideal.
Albion hills. Thank me later.

Oh well in that case congrats. It's an addictive sport and a lot of fun. Kelso has good trails and isn't horribly far from you. As for right in the hammer I have no idea.

Albion hills. Thank me later.

Albion hills is one of my favorite things in ON. I love the fast paced rolling hills.

Fat tires give better floatation on snow.

I am not buying this whole flotation thing. Sure it might be great a few times a year but mostly it's a drag. I commuted to work every snowsotrm this winter on 700x28C. lol reminds me of people that show up at blue with 120 fully rocked skis on "powder days".

Last edited:
I don't know. I meant relative to going up is what I meant. How's that greasy Italian tire of yours? Have you got that sorted yet?

Well we haven't established if it is an issue. My 700x28 commuter stops very well. The 700x23 road bike looses grip too easily. Heck I even lost traction pedaling up some steep hills, but I can't blame them I am a stud. Can the tire size make that much of a difference?

Back
Top Bottom