Fat tire bicycles? | Page 8 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Fat tire bicycles?

11917483_966659030065102_8755377417520302710_n.jpg

Nice horn.

Had the bike out for the first time for real today. Up here it's mostly glacial moraine (an enormous pile of gravel and sand), so much of this particular trail has between 3 and 9 inches of loose sand on top. It was wet today, and everything was chewed up by horse hooves. The single track is a lot better, but I stuck to the wider stuff. The wide tires really were very effective here, and I think it would have been a real slog on narrower tires.

I thought the presta valves were kind of a dumb idea and pointless on rims this wide while I was airing them up, but they suddenly made a lot of sense when I was on the trail and wanted to air down. They are super easy to get at; I didn't even have to get off the bike to do it. If nothing else, I think one advantage of the big tires is that they provide something of a simple adjustable suspension. Fine tuning the pressure is quick and tool free and makes a big difference. After on the fly adjustments I ended up down around 5 or 6 psi, and I'd go lower for snow.

I hadn't considered that transporting the bike might pose some issues since most racks are set up for conventional tires. I wanted to get a hitch mount rack, but they seemed to be a lot more expensive than I expected (this seems to be a recurring theme), and then I started thinking about salt spray in the winter. So I looked at roof racks, and grumbled at the price some more. And then I said eff it, let's see if it'll fit in the back of the hatch. Surprisingly, it fit really easily with the front wheel off. Slip it into an old motorcycle cover and it slides right in the back and holds all the grime in, and then I whipped up some heavy vinyl pedal covers so that I'd stop raking my shins with the pins and worrying about the car interior.

Last edited:
Bump since this is the current bicycle thread help me choose some 700x23 tires for the road bike and 700x28 tires for my all arounder. I really dont have much experience with bicycle tires and I am trying to find if it's really worth spending the big bucks on tires.

The 700x28 tires on my all arounder can't take bumps that well. I put a set of vittoria rubino on my gf's bike and they seem much better, but I can't tell exactly how they are since I can't use her bike that much. It's way too small for me to test them out properly. Are the vittoria rubino a good set of tires?

What about using using vittoria rubino 700x23 on the road bike? Will there be a considerable difference between those and a true slick road bike tire? What's a good choice under $50?

Last edited:
I've had great experience with Schwalbe for commuting. That's all I can contribute.

Bump since this is the current bicycle thread help me choose some 700x23 tires for the road bike and 700x28 tires for my all arounder. I really dont have much experience with bicycle tires and I am trying to find if it's really worth spending the big bucks on tires.

The 700x28 tires on my all arounder can't take bumps that well. I put a set of vittoria rubino on my gf's bike and they seem much better, but I can't tell exactly how they are since I can't use her bike that much. It's way too small for me to test them out properly. Are the vittoria rubino a good set of tires?

What about using using vittoria rubino 700x23 on the road bike? Will there be a considerable difference between those and a true slick road bike tire? What's a good choice under $50?

I've read a bit about the lower rolling resistance of the 700x28 tires vs 23. 28s are actually faster even though theyre wider. If i was shopping for new road bike tires I would go with 700x28 and go with a slick.

I've been hearing good things about 25s/ Also some guys running a 26r/24f Conti 4000S II combo.

Back
Top Bottom