Enough of COVID...what are you doing to the house? | Page 464 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Enough of COVID...what are you doing to the house?

My daughter's house has strip flooring but it isn't tongue and groove. Just rectangular cross section circa 1929. IIRC there were two finishing nails side by side every couple of feet.

It worked out great to access joist space to get around the knob and tube wiring. Pull a strip, bore a hole, run NMD through the joist space and replace the strip.
I don't love the look of face nails and if you want to refinish, sinking all nails so you don't sand them is a substantial job.

All this talk about flooring reminded me I have a Bostitch pneumatic flooring nailer that I no longer need. Used for 6 rooms. Looking to sell.

Has anyone here installed oak strip flooring (not modern HW in this context)? Any tips?

This is the flooring you see in many 1940s and older homes, not modern hardwood or engineered. The pieces are tongue and grove but only 3/8" thick. Width is usually a narrow 1 1/2" or 1 3/4". We have it throughout our 1940s house (1 3/4" wide) and I found a source for new unfinished red oak strip flooring (3/8" X 1 3/4") that will allow a floor in a new room to look like the rest of the house, and that it was always there (the floor does not directly connect to the rest so there is no need to interlace, transition, etc.).

I have installed plenty of 3/4" HW, etc. but never this stuff. It does not look like I can use the usual flooring nailers (the ones you hit with the hammer to trigger) as it is thinner than they can be set, I can get pneumatic a flooring stapler that goes down to 3/8". The subfloor is 3/4" OSB, joists 16" OC. The thickness (thinness) gives me the most pause...

Any tips, real world experience, should I us an underlay, size and gauge of staples, etc.
Done a bit of this over the years, mostly repairs and restoration.

Preparation of subfloor is more finicky than 3/4 boards . Make sure the subfloor is solid. Repair/replace damaged or cupped boards. If the subfloor is nailed down with regular or spiral nails, renail using ring shank floor nails or floor screws, you want zero loose or creaking boards. Fair uneven transitions.

30lb felt underlay is next, staple it down over the whole floor. It’s quiets floors and helps dissipate moisture.

Laying planks is the same as any hardwood as far as randomization, squaring, expansion at ends. nailing is harder. In the old days these were nailed by hand, tradesman work. I’ve done them like that, hard work and you finish every nail with a nail set. A cheap mini pneumatic nailer is the best option as most regular floor nailers wont do 18ga, and can’t be set for 1/4 tongue heights.

https://www.amazon.ca/Freeman-PFBC9...9000783&hvtargid=pla-421577410557&psc=1&mcid=

You need 18 gauge 1-1/4” - lots of them! 3/8 floor is nailed every 6 inches. I’d have a good small tack hammer, nail set, and some needle nose vice grips handy.

Bang bang.

Time to lay some soil...top soil or triple mix? Looking to get 4-5 yards delivered to my door and left on the driveway. Cost is about double for the triple mix compared to top soil...but I don't know if it's worth it or not.

Want to regrow our grass and fill in a lot of trenches / depressions that were formed during the dig in the back yard and some front yard depressions.

Time to lay some soil...top soil or triple mix? Looking to get 4-5 yards delivered to my door and left on the driveway. Cost is about double for the triple mix compared to top soil...but I don't know if it's worth it or not.

Want to regrow our grass and fill in a lot of trenches / depressions that were formed during the dig in the back yard and some front yard depressions.
On a related note, how are you planning on spreading/leveling this? Do you have a drum/leveling rake/roller? I am considering doing something similar but don't want to buy too much crap that gets used once a year or less.

We've got rakes and all the stuff needed. I'll unload wheel barrels all over the yard and just level it out. I'm not too worried about 'grading' the yard, just need to level out the areas to make it better and let the grass grow.

We've got rakes and all the stuff needed. I'll unload wheel barrels all over the yard and just level it out. I'm not too worried about 'grading' the yard, just need to level out the areas to make it better and let the grass grow.
Come borrow the tractor for a weekend then you can do your posts and the soil at once and be done.

Sent from the future

Quality of either can vary greatly. I used triple mix for the same thing in my front yard last year. That amount is easily spread out by hand.
I'm going to clear level a 125x50ish section to expand the yard and will need about 30ish yards to level it. I'll be using topsoil and depending on the quality that arrives I may get some triple to spread over top with grass seed.

As usual thanks for the good input.... For my laying old school 3/8" strip flooring, the space is only 108 sq.ft so I may try at least starting by hand and see where that gets me before I buy more tools...

As for the framing and subfloor, I did it I have no one to blame but myself if it is not perfect (it is pretty close).

As usual thanks for the good input.... For my laying old school 3/8" strip flooring, the space is only 108 sq.ft so I may try at least starting by hand and see where that gets me before I buy more tools...

As for the framing and subfloor, I did it I have no one to blame but myself if it is not perfect (it is pretty close).
If you want to use existing tools, I would try existing air nailers. May need to use a ball of tape (or something fancier) on the safety tip. You won't get the angle perfect every time but closer than hand nailing and no bruises on the new floor.

If you want to use existing tools, I would try existing air nailers. May need to use a ball of tape (or something fancier) on the safety tip. You won't get the angle perfect every time but closer than hand nailing and no bruises on the new floor.
I thought about that, my finishing nailer is to big, 16 gauge. My brad nailer is 18 gauge but I don't think brads will do the job, no idea if it will shoot flooring cleats, likely not.

108 sq’ is doable with a hammer and nail set. If you don’t like hammering, you can glue pl2000 down 3/8 strip hardwood. You still need to nail, but instead of 4 to 6” spacing, you can go 12”.

Wasn’t done that way in the old days because they didn’t have modern polyurethane adhesives in the old days. I wouldn’t hesitate… in fact this is 3/8 I got from Acadian in Markham to match up to parquet.IMG_0690.jpeg

Tis the season for small furry creatures digging up my lawn for grubs. Lost about a half acre of grass. I put down Scott’s grub killer but I’m not sure if it did much. I re-homed a skunk Friday but another furry was back at the lawn last night. Maybe try nematodes next year.

Tis the season for small furry creatures digging up my lawn for grubs. Lost about a half acre of grass. I put down Scott’s grub killer but I’m not sure if it did much. I re-homed a skunk Friday but another furry was back at the lawn last night. Maybe try nematodes next year.

Nematodes work for me. Do it twice a year. The still temp has to be right so another while yet.

My neighbours run grub and dandelion farms.

Sevin (Grub Out) is my go to for grubs.

You’ll never get rid of the skunks, they are like Russian soldiers, dispatch one and another shows up.

Today was reverse engineering day. That's where you take apart what you built yesterday because you built it wrong and have to start over.
That happens far to often to me... 😂

Back
Top Bottom