Enough of COVID...what are you doing to the house? | Page 462 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Enough of COVID...what are you doing to the house?

I have some old drywall scraps. Maybe I should buy a few options and test them. I didn't realize that you had to hammer the metal-style molly bolts through the wall in order to remove them, for instance.

Any suggestions for good drywall anchors? I am done with the regular plastic plugs, and the big threaded anchor plugs are not much better.

I like butterfly/toggle bolts, but they need a large and/or messy hole. I have not used molly bolts before, but they look promising. I'd prefer something that doesn't only work with a single exact drywall thickness.
I like the toggle bolts, but yes you are correct that the holes need to be made larger than normal.

My next go to is the plastic plugs you're done with, I find them a good option for the majority of the stuff that I hang.

Lastly do your best to hit a stud, and you can use whatever you want for the best security.

Cut out a 20x24 pc of drywall , screw pc of 3/4 “ plywood into the stud bay, put the piece of drywall back into the hole . Tape and finish , what ever you screw into that is never coming off . Anchors , you guys …..

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com

Cut out a 20x24 pc of drywall , screw pc of 3/4 “ plywood into the stud bay, put the piece of drywall back into the hole . Tape and finish , what ever you screw into that is never coming off . Anchors , you guys …..

Since he just painted and was worried about the size of drilled holes, I figured he didn't want to be opening walls.

When you go your route, are you notching studs to accommodate plywood or using separate pieces of plywood in each bay?

That is a lot of work to hang a an a5$ wipe holder. Lol

Really depends on weight. First choice is always a stud but having rocklath I have yet to find a stud finder that will work through it, but I have other methods.... If a stud is not find-able or in the wrong spot for my needs it depends on weight. Toggles for heavy stuff, plastic plugs for medium and light duty picture hangers for light/small pictures....

I have also anchored and PLed plywood to the wall for things that will never likely move during my time and also need some weight bearing.

The mention of finding studs reminds me of an old apartment. I don't know what the previous tenant was trying to hang, but there was a line of literally dozens of holes in the wall, spaced maybe 1cm apart for a span of 2 or 3 meters. I think I just tacked up a long beer banner to cover them all, since the landlord couldn't be bothered to paint.

The mention of finding studs reminds me of an old apartment. I don't know what the previous tenant was trying to hang, but there was a line of literally dozens of holes in the wall, spaced maybe 1cm apart for a span of 2 or 3 meters. I think I just tacked up a long beer banner to cover them all, since the landlord couldn't be bothered to paint.
I have used that method but I usually start with an educated guess so it only takes a handful of holes, use a very small bit and only before I paint the wall of course.

You can also drill your test holes just above the baseboard. Almost every baseboard needs recaulked anyway. The caulk will hide your test holes.
This works only when the studs are vertical.
In my parent's basement the top half of the outside wall, the drywall was floating. The vertical studs were installed from the floor to about halfway up the wall. Then there was one row of 2 X 2s between the middle of the wall and the ceiling.
We only discovered this once we ripped the drywall out during some water damage.
And it explains why my cousin made the same row of holes that @Ash mentioned when he tried to hand some floating Ikea shelves.

Last edited:
I see thing thing all over YT

If you see it advertised too often, you know they have focused their effort and money on advertising instead of focusing on the product. For drywall, I like franklin sensors. Reliable, easy to use and a fraction of the money of that toy. Like many companies, they have gone slightly of the rails with dozens of models when they should reduce their range to two or three and focus on making them the best they can be.

I have seen this as well and am tempted to try it. But no one is willing to send me a free sample.

I also think that if they are always in your face, they are desperate and need sales. Focusing on quantity and not quality.

I usually use a strong magnet to find my studs. Not sure why but it always seems to be sticking to me the most. ;)

If you see it advertised too often, you know they have focused their effort and money on advertising instead of focusing on the product. For drywall, I like franklin sensors. Reliable, easy to use and a fraction of the money of that toy. Like many companies, they have gone slightly of the rails with dozens of models when they should reduce their range to two or three and focus on making them the best they can be.
Not sure, it could simply be focused ads via YT. But not having used one I have no idea if it works well.

3M Velcro strips. We hang all our art and pictures using them. Works great for stuff that isn’t very heavy and leaves no holes in wall.

The best part of those is that they also remove easily and without a trace, unlike the Scotch tape I used to use as a kid that peeled the paint off the wall. Perfect for short-term rentals like the kids' dorm rooms.

Tried that method in a closet ceiling once. Later that day "whats that dripping sound?". Had holed an abs drain pipe. (I like abs as it's easy to patch a hole)

Back
Top Bottom