Electric Lawn Mower? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Electric Lawn Mower?

Ryobi here for a few years, would never look back. I bought it when they first came out so got a string trimmer and blower in the deal. I think it's fantastic that I no longer have to run out and start it when my wife or son are mowing the lawn. Just push a button and go. Even using the self-propelled feature my lawn can get done on one battery (maybe 3000²ft of lawn).

Thanks for great replies! I'm still watching some reviews on mowers. Every review seems to rate the Milwaukee, the GreenWorks, and the EGO as the best out there.

I have like $200 in Canadian Tire money so maybe the EGO is the way to go

I don't get the house until May so I'm gonna watch the sales. Unlikely lawn equipment will go on sale in the spring but if one does that might push me in either direction

Powered reel mowers seem interesting but they are normally priced well north of every other option.

That's all my old boy would use. They do a fantastic job if the blades are kept sharp.

Thanks for great replies! I'm still watching some reviews on mowers. Every review seems to rate the Milwaukee, the GreenWorks, and the EGO as the best out there.

I have like $200 in Canadian Tire money so maybe the EGO is the way to go

I don't get the house until May so I'm gonna watch the sales. Unlikely lawn equipment will go on sale in the spring but if one does that might push me in either direction
I've never seen Ego products go on sale yet. They seem to feel they don't have to discount their brand and yes, they're not cheap.
One thing to keep in mind is whatever cordless mower you choose, research if you can buy the same brand name in a trimmer & a blower that can use the same battery & charger. You can save a bunch of $$ on the other products by not buying it with battery & charger & just use your mower battery for all 3 units. That's what I did with my Ego and 3 years in, battery is still good as day 1 running 3 machines.

Every year a thread similar to this pops up, along with e-snowblower, and I consider it...but looking at prices and the fact all my gas tools work so well it's an expensive decision to make the switch to electric garden tools.

My lawn is approx 3500sqft so I see that a few members here stated their lawns are larger and are easily done with electric.

As for corded...great option, but I always felt something was lacking. Of course me cutting through 3 cords doesn't count...good way to not finish the job though if you're tired.

As for corded...great option, but I always felt something was lacking. Of course me cutting through 3 cords doesn't count...good way to not finish the job though if you're tired.
I have an old extension cord that should have been retired long ago that I use solely for the hedge trimmer. Clipping the cord with a hedge trimmer is almost inevitable. I switched to a battery trimmer so the dodgy cord and trimmer are available if anyone wants one.

Princess Auto this week, $349.99 for the mower, batteries and charger are 1¢.

But a 13" mower??

01445ddae83845b1a64e6b1a9df00869.jpg

But a 13" mower??

Sounds great for most subdivision lots (especially townhouses).

My parents have a similar sized gas mower. Small and light to cut near obstacles, riding mower for the middle. My mom got rid of a 20" mower as it was too heavy and saved no time in that application.

18v lawnmower may be hopeless though. I would hope that it used two packs concurrently so it was 36V.

Edit:
Probably DLM330 . Reviews are positive. Shoulder shrug.

Last edited:

But a 13" mower??

Good deal for small townhouse / row house lots. Our last townhouse had a yard a total of 10x15 patch of grass…so this would do the trick.

For my current place…zero chance.

Good deal for small townhouse / row house lots. Our last townhouse had a yard a total of 10x15 patch of grass…so this would do the trick.

For my current place…zero chance.
Makita says 3500 sq ft with a 4ah battery for that mower (and that package has two 5ah). 50% more walking than a standard 21" though.

I bought this mower last year at Lowe's. I picked up an extra battery on sale for $100. I'm on a typical 50' sub-division corner lot and one battery will usually do the entire yard; front, back and large side yard. I've run out once or twice when the grass is thick, but a quick swap out of the battery for the last few minutes gets the job done. It folds up against the wall for storage. I'm quite happy with the mower and battery life so far.
Screen Shot 2024-03-19 at 8.22.14 AM.png

1710854285735.png

Are the Milwaukee batteries for the lawn mower the same size and shape as what your other cordless tools?
Lawn mowers and snow blowers usually take a much larger battery.
Remember you get what you pay for!
Home Depot uses Milwaukee tools in the rental department.

Don't know if I'm still a 100% believer in this statement. I've seen many high quality value priced tools while doing my research to equip my shop.
While I still have (limited) trust in the quality of long standing name brands, I feel many of them rely on their name and heritage to charge a premium price for a standard product. Just my opinion..

Don't know if I'm still a 100% believer in this statement. I've seen many high quality value priced tools while doing my research to equip my shop.
While I still have (limited) trust in the quality of long standing name brands, I feel many of them rely on their name and heritage to charge a premium price for a standard product. Just my opinion..
100% agree. Not that long ago, the expensive Dewalt battery mower was a useless pos. Try to cut more than 1" off the grass and it would shut down. No purpose in life as it did the job of a reel mower at a far higher cost. Not sure if they improved since then.

Most manufacturers have some good and some turds. Many try to use their name to make a lot of money on the turds.

100% agree. Not that long ago, the expensive Dewalt battery mower was a useless pos. Try to cut more than 1" off the grass and it would shut down. No purpose in life as it did the job of a reel mower at a far higher cost. Not sure if they improved since then.

Most manufacturers have some good and some turds. Many try to use their name to make a lot of money on the turds.
If a company makes a bad product, reads and understands the negative reviews and make appropriate changes to address the concerns I'm all for that. Everyone can make a mistake even a multi-billion dollar company. What I typically see though is the assembly line of garbage products to make as much as they can as quickly as they can. Support good businesses with good business practices.

If a company makes a bad product, reads and understands the negative reviews and make appropriate changes to address the concerns I'm all for that. Everyone can make a mistake even a multi-billion dollar company. What I typically see though is the assembly line of garbage products to make as much as they can as quickly as they can. Support good businesses with good business practices.
I partly agree. The original dewalt mowers were so bad they should never have been sold. It wasn't a defect that popped up. It was piss-poor engineering pushed to the market. If they couldn't hit the price point they wanted with a competent machine, the right answer is you have no entry to the market, you pick a different price point or you dump the turd to a crap brand-name in an attempt to recover some of your investment. You don't ship it under your flagship brand.

I'm an early bird in the summer. I wake up early, go for a walk around town, come home and cut the lawn before 7am. The neighbors aren't disturbed and the lawn looks passable

That's one of the other nice things about electric lawn mowers - I could cut my lawn at 2AM and neither of my neighbours would even notice.

I was equally blown away by how quiet the matching snowblower I bought this past winter was as well. I could probably get away with blowing my driveway out in the middle of the night as well honestly as long as I didn't hit any ice or whatever as that does make some noise on the auger.

That's one of the other nice things about electric lawn mowers - I could cut my lawn at 2AM and neither of my neighbours would even notice.

I was equally blown away by how quiet the matching snowblower I bought this past winter was as well. I could probably get away with blowing my driveway out in the middle of the night as well honestly as long as I didn't hit any ice or whatever as that does make some noise on the auger.
I agree that these mowers are very quiet and I don't worry about cutting the grass before 8am on a weekend. I have a corded electric snow blower that I bought when we were in a townhouse for a few years that is equally quiet.

I don't believe that an electric snow blower is quite up to the task of clearing the driveway of our current home here in Orangeville, particularly following one of the large dumpings of heavy wet snow like we had this past winter. I had bought a used 5hp gas powered blower and it couldn't do it, so I went out and bought a new 10hp gas blower that just walks through that stuff. It doesn't matter how loud it is because I'm retired and have nowhere to go on the weekends, so I won't be out there too early.

Are the Milwaukee batteries for the lawn mower the same size and shape as what your other cordless tools?
Lawn mowers and snow blowers usually take a much larger battery.
Home Depot uses Milwaukee tools in the rental department.
Yeah they are the same and work in all their tools but they are huge. 12ah. You might use one in a circular saw but you could use it with their cordless chop saw or table saw, or some of their other larger pumps/compressors.

Back
Top Bottom