Decline of group rides (quantity) and how do you cope with it? | Page 9 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Decline of group rides (quantity) and how do you cope with it?

I see the thread has derailed nicely. lol

I'm sorry... But what's the difference between "you should not pass", and "you may not pass"? Aren't they the same thing? (At least in regards to law).

I mean yea, you can always do whatever you want, question is if you'd be challenging the law or not that ways.

This explains it very well. That guy used to post on GTAM as well, don't know what happened to him.
Passing on the paved shoulder, probably same thing. White line - no, yellow line or no line - sure, with caution, observing the signs.

http://www.simonborys.ca/2010/05/is-it-illegal-to-pass-on-a-solid-yellow-line/

Last edited:
I'm glad this came up. Driving to Georgetown yesterday along Steeles I noticed at a couple side roads there is a sign saying not to drive on the shoulder. They have these signs because people turning left can take a long time sometimes and the shoulder is gravel.

So what's the actual law regarding it, can I pass using the shoulder because the law says I can, or can't I because a sign says I can't?

When there is no sign it's legal. Otherwise signs trump everything (except a Police Officer telling you to drive there.) Please note it is only for a PAVED shoulder. You are not legally allowed to do it on a gravel shoulder. (I don't know how the law will react when a bike does it when there is only a foot or two of paved shoulder.)

..Tom

I don't really understand how a rider can blame someone else when they crash... it's not like the leader is controlling your throttle. When my friends outrun me, I just meet up with them at the predetermined spot, I don't risk my life or my bike to keep up with guys capable of riding faster.

Back on topic. You'd be amaze how much Somebody's pride is worth. They're willing to risk their lives

When there is no sign it's legal. Otherwise signs trump everything (except a Police Officer telling you to drive there.) Please note it is only for a PAVED shoulder. You are not legally allowed to do it on a gravel shoulder. (I don't know how the law will react when a bike does it when there is only a foot or two of paved shoulder.)

..Tom

Keep in mind that city bylaws can also be in force, that would make this illegal.

Yellow lines are suggestions.

Double yellow is you should not pass, doesn't mean you cannot

I'd never get to 'bogie if that were the case.

Group rides are dead because the track is where it's at. Street riding SS is a mugs game. As I found out the hard way.

Last edited:
That's not the topic either. That's just a transplanted argument from another thread. My thread "was" about where you can find good rides and people (if not here).

Bike specific forums is a good place to get group rides.
It will be easier to find rides that match your style if you ride the same bike(usually)

I did the ss thing for many years, broke my back twice(not bike related) and cannot sit on a ss anymore. I drive for a living, so tickets are a no-no. My 7 year old son loves to ride with me, so I've learned to slow down a bit, and just enjoy the ride, explore new areas and fun places. I have no problem with other riders going fast, I just don't join their rides. I recently got a goldwing (flame away), and my son and I love it, we pack our towels/bathing suits and go. When I'm alone, you'd be surprised at how quick I can go on that pig. I've always enjoyed group rides, but like Demonpig, I don't see many rides posted that suit my style. I like speed and challenge, that's why I race the Ontario Offroad race series.
There are a ton of bike groups on meetup, just a matter of finding one that suits you. I have also been reading the majority of posts on this site, it gives me a really good impression of the people, who they are and how they want to ride. I can then make an informed decision on what rides I want to join.

[video=youtube;0nrMQ3QwyPo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0nrMQ3QwyPo[/video]

Chicken soup for Wing riders :D

Happy to do some 2 1/2 3 day PA and one day out one day there and one day back rides. I like a mix of challenge and sight seeing. I have a very flexible schedule

Kid comes along on his FZ8 at times now he's also realized sport bikes are killers on the back for touring.

And this my friends is why no good rider will post any more rides, people have turned into little birches, now back to my sangria

Ill invite warp tiger too . Maybe further south and i might even ride a harley.

Macdoc survived on my ride

and he promised no HTA excess.....:lmao:

I guess that was just for the dirt and night time
.....Daught survived the deer thanks to the Burgman lights :D

I ALMOST didn't survive 5 degrees in a bloody kayak camp tent tho......:rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom