Darksider - conviction registered | Page 9 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Darksider - conviction registered

0274_s10.jpg

Any context? Car tires don't create a force field around a bike to deflect deer and dumb drivers.

On the legal front, RM's link would indicate a pretty tough fight to overturn the charge if the prosecutor was prepared.

I'm still open minded to further study but if one wants to experiment they should be prepared for legal and technical failures at their own risk.

From the link:

8. (1) A company must, in respect of the tires of each specific size designation and type that it manufactures or imports, provide to the Minister, at the address set out in Schedule 3, to the dealers of the tires, and to any person who requests it, the following information:
(a) a list of the rims designed for use with the tires, together with a diagram and the dimensions of each of the rims;
(b) a table showing the type of construction and the intended use of the tires, together with the various load ratings; and
(c) a table and diagram showing the dimensions of the tires.

I think there is more.

Last edited:
I'm still open minded to further study but if one wants to experiment they should be prepared for legal and technical failures at their own risk.

Proper testing required for adequate statistics to make a safety judgement would have to be done on a large scale in a controlled test facility track. Can't just have a bunch of people running around with CT on roads at least legally speaking. It would cost a ton and to be realistically it won't happen.

best we can hope for is if crash investigator make it an observation and we can track it. Even then that's only numbers and will really correspond to any causation.

Last edited:
Proper testing required for adequate statistics to make a safety judgement would have to be done on a large scale in a controlled test facility track. Can't just have a bunch of people running around with CT on roads at least legally speaking. It would cost a ton and to be realistically it won't happen.

best we can hope for is if crash investigator make it an observation and we can track it. Even then that's only numbers and will really correspond to any causation.

I think we're past the point where riding around is going to prove anything regardless of whether it is a track or on the road. Enough miles have been logged on bikes with car tires to indicate that problems, if they do exist, are unlikely to happen in a short period of time. It is time to go to destructive testing.

Abuse the rim / tire combo using hydraulics or other torture systems and push the units until they fail. Then examine the failures and see if the failures are likely to be replicated in road use.

This is going to cost a ton of money and I can't think of any company that would be interested in shelling it out.

Unless some lottery winner jumps in to fund a study I think it is going to stay as an issue between the LEO and the individual rider.

How hard will this be enforced? Your guess is as good as mine.

I expect enforcement will be as it has been in the past. Unless there is a specific blitz, or the rider is doing some other stupid things in combination with the darkside tire, then they won't be "targeted". It is very similar with 2 up atv's if your riding along following all the rules then the officer is more than likely just going to pass you by, speed or pull a wheelie, right in their plain sight, then your cooked..lol

I think we're past the point where riding around is going to prove anything regardless of whether it is a track or on the road. Enough miles have been logged on bikes with car tires to indicate that problems, if they do exist, are unlikely to happen in a short period of time. It is time to go to destructive testing.

Abuse the rim / tire combo using hydraulics or other torture systems and push the units until they fail. Then examine the failures and see if the failures are likely to be replicated in road use.

This is going to cost a ton of money and I can't think of any company that would be interested in shelling it out.

Unless some lottery winner jumps in to fund a study I think it is going to stay as an issue between the LEO and the individual rider.

How hard will this be enforced? Your guess is as good as mine.

I expect enforcement will be as it has been in the past. Unless there is a specific blitz, or the rider is doing some other stupid things in combination with the darkside tire, then they won't be "targeted". It is very similar with 2 up atv's if your riding along following all the rules then the officer is more than likely just going to pass you by, speed or pull a wheelie, right in their plain sight, then your cooked..lol

Given that many regions are now passing bylaws that limit exhaust noise, specifically of motorcycles, this sort of thing may well come under closer scrutiny. Imagine a darksider rides though Forks of the Credit and gets pulled over for a "random" noise check. Would you expect an officer to turn a blind eye to such an easy charge?

Given that many regions are now passing bylaws that limit exhaust noise, specifically of motorcycles, this sort of thing may well come under closer scrutiny. Imagine a darksider rides though Forks of the Credit and gets pulled over for a "random" noise check. Would you expect an officer to turn a blind eye to such an easy charge?

Loud pipes attract cops. :)

No I expect the officer would lay the charge, as I said if one were riding responsibly and not drawing attention to themselves, (or their bike), then the officer isn't likely to give it a second look. If one gets pulled over for any reason then expect to see the officer "reach for the low hanging fruit"..lol

No I expect the officer would lay the charge, as I said if one were riding responsibly and not drawing attention to themselves, (or their bike), then the officer isn't likely to give it a second look. If one gets pulled over for any reason then expect to see the officer "reach for the low hanging fruit"..lol

Not drawing attention to oneself isn't at issue, where these 'random' checks are set up. Quite frequently all riders will be pulled over for testing. The same applies to the ubiquitous "document checks" that frequently occur at the start of the season.

Not sure if this is cover or im right, is can-am consider a motorcycle that need M class to operate? If so, they use a car tire in the rear, would they get a ticket too?

Not sure if this is cover or im right, is can-am consider a motorcycle that need M class to operate? If so, they use a car tire in the rear, would they get a ticket too?

A Can-Am is considered a three wheeled motorcycle (a special class). If a rider is using it with the manufacturer's recommended tire, then there is no legal issue.

The Can-Am also DOT tested and was approved for automotive radial use from the get-go for vehicle certification. The 3 wheel M-class restriction also applies if you test on this vs a conventional motorcycle.

So special class motorcycle can use car tire but regular motorcycle is illegal wtf? Have any fatalities ever occur because of the use of CT on a "regular" motorcycle? Why is it deem illegal? Or is one of those wack a** Canadian law we have?
what if you trike your "regular " motorcycle? Is it now "special" ?lol

Last edited:
People who put car tires on bikes are simply stupid, the danger for mileage is not worth it. Cheap fuckers..

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

A Can-Am is considered a three wheeled motorcycle (a special class). If a rider is using it with the manufacturer's recommended tire, then there is no legal issue.

I'm pretty sure the Spyder is running a car design rim and therefore a car tire would be legal for that rim.

People who put car tires on bikes are simply stupid, the danger for mileage is not worth it. Cheap ****ers..

How many of these people do you know? What are your credentials for judging them?

I know several darksiders and they are not stupid or cheap.

People that think outside the box do more for progress than the sheep that never stray.

Last edited:
How many of these people do you know? What are your credentials for judging them?

People that think outside the box do more for progress than the sheep that never stray.

Perfect so you can tell me it's safe to make a swerve leaning a large amount to avoid traffic obstacles with car tires on bike. They make bike tires for a reason.. That being said they are stupid for putting their Saftey at risk and they are cheap why else would you do that other than more mileage. I've ridden a gold thing before with a car tire on the back and it handled like a piece of ****.

Last edited:
So special class motorcycle can use car tire but regular motorcycle is illegal wtf? Have any fatalities ever occur because of the use of CT on a "regular" motorcycle? Why is it deem illegal? Or is one of those wack a** Canadian law we have?

That special class of motorcycles does not lean to turn, was specifically designed to operate with a car tire, and was submitted to Transport Canada for certification with a car tire. Can the same be said for a conventional motorcycle? Nothing 'wack' about it.

And sometimes they end up being speed bumps on the road of life. Some things just aren't a good idea.

Yes as Rob said a Spyder doesn't lean as a 2 wheel single track bike does. It was also certified for sale in Canad with Transport Canada in advance of being permitted to be offered for sale in Canada.

As for a trike you "should" have the bike certified after the modifications are completed again they don't lean like a single track motorcycle.

Yes special class bike are DIFFERENT from a single track bike. That is akin to asking why is it legal for a 5 ton truck to carry 7,000 lbs of cargo but it isn't legal for a 1/2 ton pick up to carry that much... different classes of vehicles = different regulations.

Back
Top Bottom