Damit flat rear tire! | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Damit flat rear tire!

I feel you. Have about 7400 on OEM tires and on Wednesday I did a downshift leaving home and the tail wagged. Pulled over and the tire was squishy, sucks because I almost always check before I head out.

When to a meet for a few hrs and it was still holding up when I rode home. Secretly hoping its leaking enough to replace, to get on some better rubber.

I pay extra for the HD-spec Dunlop tire, although I ordered them thru Flying Squirrel moto and took my wheels in to get them mounted - much lower overall cost from taking your bike into a HD dealer.

FS Moto might be be able to work on the complete bike now (in the past they didn’t lift HDs) - possible solution for you to get a CAA tow-in.

Or may be worth it for you to invest in a jack- I see one on kijiji for $75. You’ll have to remove your bags and a muffler, but straight forward mechanical effort... Taking the wheel off lets you take it into a shop without getting a tow, and saves paying the shop to do the removal work. With the jack you’ll also be able to inspect the wheels and tires much more easily.

I was in FS recently. They have stopped providing motorcycle service and are only selling parts. Glen will mount and balance tires if you bring the rims though

I pay extra for the HD-spec Dunlop tire, although I ordered them thru Flying Squirrel moto and took my wheels in to get them mounted - much lower overall cost from taking your bike into a HD dealer.

FS Moto might be be able to work on the complete bike now (in the past they didn’t lift HDs) - possible solution for you to get a CAA tow-in.

Or may be worth it for you to invest in a jack- I see one on kijiji for $75. You’ll have to remove your bags and a muffler, but straight forward mechanical effort... Taking the wheel off lets you take it into a shop without getting a tow, and saves paying the shop to do the removal work. With the jack you’ll also be able to inspect the wheels and tires much more easily.

I had the same idea paying for the HD spec tire as the fit is exact and I wanted to see how they preformed. But I was also under the impression only the dealer carried them?

I am in the East end of Scarborough and Mackie is fairly close and easy to get to in terms of traffic etc.

If you have a link to the jack I would be curious.

I had a nail in the centre of my rear tire that had around 500 kms on it on a brand new bike. I used the stop'n'go tire patch kit. Plug held for 7,000+ kms before I replaced the tire before a big trip.

Very easy thing to do, just follow the instructions. I watched a youtube video of a guy doing it.

This is the kit I have:
https://www.stopngo.com/pocket-tire-plugger-for-all-tubeless-tires/

More expensive then what others have posted here and not sure how it compares. Had zero issues getting my tire plugged using it and did not need any extra tools to get the job done. I always keep it on me as part of my regular tools that stay with the bike.

Rear tire, no problem plug it or patch it then wear it out, front tire is way more scary to have failures on and on average the rear tire has ~half the life span of a front.

What makes it an HD spec tire, is it rated load range E to carry all the extra weight :grin:

The only thing I'd suggest with the plug kits....get one with a T handle. Much easier on the hands than the straight handles when trying to push in the plug.

The only thing I'd suggest with the plug kits....get one with a T handle. Much easier on the hands than the straight handles when trying to push in the plug.

I like about the stop n go kit is it screws in, no handles. Works really well.

[video=youtube;3NfuBFNaA1U]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3NfuBFNaA1U[/video]

What if there is no hole, nail hole etc?

Is it possible the tire became loose from the rim. I hit a nasty pothole which I completely bottomed out hard. It's the only thing I can think of which might be tire related.

Is it possible the tire became loose from the rim. I hit a nasty pothole which I completely bottomed out hard. It's the only thing I can think of which might be tire related.

That is a whole other thing and obviously no tire patch kit will fix that if the tire is not on the rim correctly

The stop and go kit looks nice....but no glue or adhesive goo to stick and bond with the tire?
I've used the sticky strings like this before.
pACE3-1189481enh-z8.jpg

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/victor-tubeless-tire-repair-0092139p.html#srp

Bottoming hard shouldn't do anything. You re-inflated and it looses air? Spread soap solution all over the tire and look for bubbles.

Last edited:

This is a relatively high pressure inflated tubeless tire on a cast wheel yes?
Is way more likely to leak through the valve stem either through the core itself or through a split in the valve stem rubber where it pulls through the hole in the rim.

As much as people don't like the green goop :/ at least you can see where all your leaks are when some of it oozes out. Is not That hard to clean up, it's water soluble.

Want to see messy, you should try patching a calcium loaded tractor tire, after you drain out several gallons of salt brine solution and remove the tire with an 8 pound sledge hammer you get to grind the rust off the inside of the rim and re-paint it, then refill it with gallons of expensive calcium solution or even more expensive beet juice if you want to be environmentally friendly.

Last edited:
without a jack or centre stand, finding the issue is a PITA
you can walk the bike and check sections of the tire with the soapy water
mark it on the sidewall when you find it, push back into the garage and line up the mark

I agree on the T handle plug tools, it takes a surprising amount of effort to push the plug in
the sticky strings work good, and I use the glue on them as well, plug slides in way easier
and don't be shy with the reamer, you're just making the hole large enough for the plug to go it
and before you're done reaming, put a bit of glue on the reamer as well to slick the hole

I rode back from S. Texas with 2 plugs, 10 mm apart ~ 4,500 kms, they work

The stop and go kit looks nice....but no glue or adhesive goo to stick and bond with the tire?
I've used the sticky strings like this before.
http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/victor-tubeless-tire-repair-0092139p.html#srp

Bottoming hard shouldn't do anything. You re-inflated and it looses air? Spread soap solution all over the tire and look for bubbles.

There is something on the rubber plugs. My experience was good with it, lasted the life of a rear tire after plugging a new tire with only 500 kms with it. Maybe I was just lucky, I am not sure, I hope to never find out again. It is a great kit though and was super easy to use and get me back on the road.

Alright, thanks for help so far!

Just got back from Princess Auto and Canadian tire.
Picked up this MC lift
https://www.princessauto.com/en/detail/1-100-lb-atv-motorcycle-lift-table/A-p8667818e
Was able to get it for the sale price which ended yesterday =)

Found the patch kit with T handles at 2 Canadian Tire's, neither had the rubber cement included, and of course both were out of stock on the rubber cement itself.
Bought a 1 HP compressor from CT.

Now to find the leak!

The rope plugs can be really tough to insert.This is how i get them in when they are being stubborn.A little awkward,but works well.
P6250043_zpsxdr2pt6h.jpg

Last edited:
Good for you OP...not convinced you require the cement ...the ropes vulcanize but the cement might make them easier to insert.

^ wear safety equipment
especially a cup :)

edit: the cement does make plug insertion easier
last time I had to do this, the plugs would not go in without it
even after extensive reaming, the effort required to push them in
cut them in half, bike tires are harder than car tires to plug

Last edited:
Never needed the cement as it is a vulcanized plug (as Macdoc said).

Have you inflated the tire and put soapy water on the valve and valve stem? Start there and then use the valve stem as a starting reference to check for leaks around the tire tread and sidewalls as you move the wheel along one revolution.

Check for rim damage if you bottomed out badly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom