Couldn't get a boost to save my life | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Couldn't get a boost to save my life

Yeah I've been a CAA premium member for almost 10 years now and they have rarely come through.

In this case a flatbed eventually showed up and got me home and the driver was super cool. (He had to come all the way from Barrie....or maybe it was Bolton) I figured Toronto would have had faster response but I guess not.

Regarding the boost they weren't very helpful.

I called them once to tow me after an accident and they refused to even dispatch a truck until the Police were on-scene.

I have the same Genius Boost GB40 battery booster as Motorcycle Mike ... actually have one in the saddle bags and one in the truck. I've boosted a HD Sportster and a Ford F150 with it... the F150 guys laughed at the small size of it when I walked over but were pretty happy when their truck started. They are on sale at Canadian Tire this week for $125.
I recharge mine about once a month just to top it up but it still has lots of charge left. In the winter I bring the truck one inside every night just to ensure it will have full boosting power.

Hey Camo,
So is it a wall plug to recharge it or can you also charge it with cig lighter port?

I just wonder about the longevity of those batteries which spend most of their life sitting draining or charging.
I might look for a cheaper one on ebay with usb charging ports...seems like a good idea for bike and trips.

This is what happens when you cram people together like rats in a cage. Everybody gets passive aggressive. I'm sure in a different time and place the cabbie would have washed your feet. I think that's why Britain left the EU.

lol, another out of left field post...the EU part at the end:D

If CAA fails you, you could always try Motolimo and maybe CAA will reimburse. I know that they will reimburse for tow's but not sure about battery boosts.

I would have helped if I had seen ya, but on a side note, it can be a bad idea to boost someone from a modern car.

My buddy's wife boosted someone not long ago and ended up frying one of the on board computers which ended up costing more than $700 to replace.

After hearing that (and similar stories) I now carry a booster pack in the car in case I or someone else needs a boost.

I carry this, but there are cheaper options:

The surges that damage car circuits can also accumulate over a number of events and then suddenly fail during normal operation. If you want to be 100% safe you can disconnect the battery.

There's another forum I go on where people list their phone numbers in case of emergencies but there are too many nut cases on this one for that to interest me.

There's another forum I go on where people list their phone numbers in case of emergencies but there are too many nut cases on this one for that to interest me.

I was trying to think about how to be available to help out if someone needed it... as when I ride I am typically well prepared (spare fuel, mini air compressor, li-on booster pack, tools, etc), and I would have no problem going 50km out of my way to help someone out -- all part of the adventure.

However, I don't check this forum for anything when I go out riding, don't use tapatalk, etc... I was considering creating a whatsapp group for SOS calls only -- but that would likely devolve into nonsense too so I guess I will just help out if stumble upon someone in need; which is fairly unlikely as I am usually running gravel roads where I don't see anyone.

I'm sorry to hear that happened to you. There are still good people out but seem to be few and far between.

I few years ago I was in a very busy mall on a really hot day and I ended up blowing my radiator hose on the car while looking for a parking spot. After getting out and trying to push my car into a spot to clear the area, all while slipping on coolant all over the ground a guy in a pickup truck pulled over and helped me push it in.

This was about 5 minutes after struggling to push the car and steer at the same time, all while a crowd of about 15 people watched me struggle and chose to rather film me on their phones rather than help, ever after asking.

I'm sorry to hear that happened to you. There are still good people out but seem to be few and far between.

I few years ago I was in a very busy mall on a really hot day and I ended up blowing my radiator hose on the car while looking for a parking spot. After getting out and trying to push my car into a spot to clear the area, all while slipping on coolant all over the ground a guy in a pickup truck pulled over and helped me push it in.

This was about 5 minutes after struggling to push the car and steer at the same time, all while a crowd of about 15 people watched me struggle and chose to rather film me on their phones rather than help, ever after asking.

The Karma thing is funny cause I pull over and help people all the time. I stop for bikers on the side of the road and have exited the highway to get on going the other way to help a stranded biker on the opposite side of the Highway. (she posted a thread on here about it)

....and I've been a 911 dispatcher for like 9 years!! How much more karma can I have banked?

That's bloody awful.

People can be so ******.

Last edited:
I've bump started a FI bike before.

I don't believe in karma, hasn't given in return, but I'll help out when I can and have even done the highway exit, back past to the next and come around again to help a stranded biker.

I've bump started a FI bike before.

Were you getting any noise from the fuel pump when you turned the key?

I was debating bump starting it but, again, I would've been more comfortable with a bit of a slope. (or someone to push me)

Hey Camo,
So is it a wall plug to recharge it or can you also charge it with cig lighter port?

I just wonder about the longevity of those batteries which spend most of their life sitting draining or charging.
I might look for a cheaper one on ebay with usb charging ports...seems like a good idea for bike and trips.

The GB40 battery booster uses a USB cable to recharge it, so either at home or you could use a USB power adapter with a cig lighter port.
It looks to be a physically bigger device than the Antigravity Microstart booster that the OP mentioned he had forgot at his house but is 1000 Amp compared to its 300 Amp.

yeah, in the fine print the Anitgravity Microstart says it shouldn't be used to boost anything over 3000cc. So good for my bike...bad for my car

I was trying to think about how to be available to help out if someone needed it... as when I ride I am typically well prepared (spare fuel, mini air compressor, li-on booster pack, tools, etc), and I would have no problem going 50km out of my way to help someone out -- all part of the adventure.

However, I don't check this forum for anything when I go out riding, don't use tapatalk, etc... I was considering creating a whatsapp group for SOS calls only -- but that would likely devolve into nonsense too so I guess I will just help out if stumble upon someone in need; which is fairly unlikely as I am usually running gravel roads where I don't see anyone.

How it worked on the other forum.

I was at home, about 10:00 AM doing paperwork and got a call from a member in Georgia who asked me if I was anywhere near Hamilton as a member from Arkansas had a rear drive problem with his 1800 Goldwing and was holed up at a motel. I called the sidelined rider and drove out in my van not expecting to do much more than offer sympathy.

From then on it was dumb luck but six hours later the rider was on his way with a replacement final drive. It was a case of the grapevine coming through. Cost to rider? Zero dollars but he was to send a replacement final drive when he got home. They are cheap down there due to trike conversions.

I have my cell number listed on a helper link on the other site so any member can call me. My cell is rarely off.

I wouldn't do the same on this forum due to personality clashes. However I would be available to some members if there was a procedure not unlike Facebook friending. Arrogant members wouldn't get my personal contact info but ones that had a history of helpful posts would. I'm not sure how that would be set up if even possible.

Karma does work but it's a slow process.

We could have a 'I need help' thread. Anyone needing help can post there. Everyone interested can 'subscribe' and set instant email alert to new messages.

The Karma thing is funny cause I pull over and help people all the time. I stop for bikers on the side of the road and have exited the highway to get on going the other way to help a stranded biker on the opposite side of the Highway. (she posted a thread on here about it)

....and I've been a 911 dispatcher for like 9 years!! How much more karma can I have banked?

That's bloody awful.

People can be so ******.

In post 10 you say you didn't want to put anyone out but you are frustrated that no one came to the rescue. That pushes my sick twisted humour button.

I don't know what sort of 911 equipment you dispatch but if I was seeing smoke pour out of the back bedroom I wouldn't be standing at the curb just in case a fire truck came by, hoping they wouldn't mind stopping and spraying some H2O and not wanting to put them out unless they were already in the area with a bit of extra water. Forgive my sick twisted humour.

You have, as you stated, paid forward on many occasions and my recollection of your posts gives you good karma in my books. If you had my phone number and called I don't know what I would have had on hand to help out but I would have probably shown up with a large supply of grumpy.

I understand the cabbies wanting money. This week has been crappy for me beyond all crappiness and that doesn't put me in the giving mood. However life in general has been good so this is just a case of a few too many potholes too close together. There are better roads ahead and I can suck it up. Cabbies don't have any light at the end of the tunnel so screw the world.

We could have a 'I need help' thread. Anyone needing help can post there. Everyone interested can 'subscribe' and set instant email alert to new messages.

If you click on someone's forum name you can see some options and add them as a friend. What does this do for either party?

One of the factors in biking is the ability to deal with being stranded and most of us understand the feeling of not being able to just lock the door and sit it out.

Similar booster units at Princess Auto and Home Hardware. All over Amazon also. I always carry one on longer bike trips and keep one in my truck. Charge does not deplete over months. Wall charge or cig charge adaptors plus come with multiple doggles for all your toys. Lite, 2 USB's and jumper attachment points

I always keep booster cables in the trunk of my car. Wrapped in a plastic bag to ensure the clamps don't rust or corrode.
I probably boost a couple of people per year.
Never a motorcycle. No rider has ever requested it.

Back
Top Bottom