Copy of the M Test (M2X) checklist! | Page 33 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Copy of the M Test (M2X) checklist!

I passed my M test at Downsview today (in light rain). Only 3 points off, all for failing to check my blind spot while turning right, which I thought I actually did. Otherwise I kept my head moving constantly which I highly recommend.

The person doing the test was named Erik. He was courteous, helpful, and clear. The route was the same or similar to what has been posted in this thread.

Thanks all for the valuable perspective and after-test reports. Thanks also to this site for being a fine resource over the past five years between thinking about getting an M1 to now having my full M.

I also found this part of the Handbook super helpful:
http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/handbook/motorcycles/section9-0-0.shtml

I passed my M test at Downsview today (in light rain). Only 3 points off, all for failing to check my blind spot while turning right, which I thought I actually did. Otherwise I kept my head moving constantly which I highly recommend.

The person doing the test was named Erik. He was courteous, helpful, and clear. The route was the same or similar to what has been posted in this thread.

Thanks all for the valuable perspective and after-test reports. Thanks also to this site for being a fine resource over the past five years between thinking about getting an M1 to now having my full M.

I also found this part of the Handbook super helpful:
http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/handbook/motorcycles/section9-0-0.shtml

That's an excellent link. I hope more people will refer to that and stop looking at the score sheet.

Would just like to say I took the test in Aurora today, route was different from this, included a residential/industrial area, was about 20km. Here's a link to the route: http://goo.gl/maps/QuRF1 (And I passed :))

I did the test twice cause I failed the first time for supposedly going 80 in a 60 (I swear they just sped up to 80 to catch up from a right turn...). I did different routes both times cause they're repaving the roads on Yonge street so I ended up taking Bayview up to Vandorf and back. What you posted is the route I took the first time (regular route).

Did the test this morning in Brampton, was the first one to go. It was super easy and the route was the same as posted earlier in this thread.

4 points off for: 2 x failing to left-right-left through an intersection, failing to shoulder check left while turning left and driving on uneven pavement.

Anyway it's now behind me!

This is what I don't understand, why would the route help at all if (in general, not directed at anyone) if you forget to shoulder check or do whatever else is required on the test?

This is what I don't understand, why would the route help at all if (in general, not directed at anyone) if you forget to shoulder check or do whatever else is required on the test?

It makes some people feel better about taking a test (Its almost like cheating :p). Some people run the route before taking the test to know what to expect.

It probably wouldn't have mattered to me whether I knew were to go or not (cause I didn't).

Half way through the test, I kinda forgot I was being tested and started jamming to my beats in my head lol.

I tried the test in Brampton 2 weeks ago. Of all things, the ear piece wasn't working for me. Not sure why, it seemed fine for all the other people who went before me. I even tried taping it to my ear but I couldn't hear anything going through it. Ended up rescheduling in Aurora and passed it with ease. Only thing I suggest is to bring a set of headphones in case by some unlucky chance your ear piece isn't working.

Did the test this morning and passed. Had a very nice person conducting a test. Only issue I had was hearing the bluetooth from time to time but that was it. Thank God, that's over, I am getting too old for tests lol

Thanks for this thread.

Passed the test today; I actually got a few points for being too slow LOL

What was the thing you had to pay most attention to when riding? Tire tracks? It wasn't that​ hard was it? I'm booking mine for july.

What was the thing you had to pay most attention to when riding? Tire tracks? It wasn't that​ hard was it? I'm booking mine for july.

Tire tracks are important, lots of head movement, (especially before you are going into intersections), proper roadside stop, proper lane changing ( made me go back and forth from lane to lane a few times) checking mirrors every 5-7 seconds, checking blind spots when changing lanes and checking blind spots when making turns on to streets. My instructor was not so strict with the speed and told me beforehand because of it was raining. I am sure freeway skills are more important in larger cities, especially in southern ontario because of on and off ramps (since I live in Northern Ontario we don't have highways like the 400 or 401 here). Thanks to the thread starter, this info helped out a lot.

I'm glad I ran the Barrie route simply because there is a change from an 80km/h zone to a 60km/h zone and the sign is hiding behind a hydro poll. If I didn't notice that on my practice run, I may have missed it.

I'm glad I ran the Barrie route simply because there is a change from an 80km/h zone to a 60km/h zone and the sign is hiding behind a hydro poll. If I didn't notice that on my practice run, I may have missed it.

I know exactly where that sign is too.

I rode normally, except for constantly checking my mirrors and making gigantic head maneuvers so they knew I was looking.

The one thing I struggled most with was not speeding, I have no clue how I managed to get "too slow" when merging onto the highway.

Passed the other day at Downsview. Unfortunately, the guy before me did not. I believe he was failed for changing lanes too close to the car behind him (in the lane he was entering) on the 401. I don't know if that was the only reason, but that's the only error they discussed.

One piece of advice: try to book a time/location when there will be as little traffic as possible. I feel like heavy traffic makes the road test at least 3.7x harder (came up with that number scientifically, so don't ask). There's just so much more you have to worry about on top of lane position, head movement, and hearing the earpiece:
  • Always keeping 2-3 seconds behind the car in front of you. If there's very little traffic, then you can travel at the speed limit and there will likely be no other cars in front of you. However, in heavy/slow traffic, there will always be a car in front of you. And leaving a 2-3 second gap is basically an invitation for other cars to cut in front of you, and there's nothing you can do. Keeping an eye on traffic around you makes you forget being a "bobble head'.
  • Stopping at least 1 motorcycle length behind the car in front of you. If this is something you don't usually do on the road, then it's easy to forget this when the traffic is very slow or stop-and-go.
  • Lane changes! Before the test, the examiner will emphasizes that you only follow instructions when it's safe. This is why the guy before me failed; he changed lanes when the examiner felt it was unsafe. With traffic around you, it can be difficult to change lanes and not cut somebody off. There were a couple occasions (including on the 401) that I hesitated to change lanes because cars were hanging around behind me, but the examiner repeated the instruction so I went for it.
  • Stopping and/or right turns at stop signs and red lights. With traffic around you, you may forget to stop before the line prior to making a right turn; you may just end up creeping up with the car in front and following them past the line. Without traffic, this would be something very easy to remember because you're the only one approaching the stop/red light and you can't not stop.
  • Checking left and right as you pass intersections and driveways. When there's traffic and cars around you, it's just something you forget to do.
  • Following the examiner's instructions. He'll say something like "change lanes to the left, and left turn at the light" while you're travelling in the right lane. If there's no traffic, it's an easy task, don't even have to think about it. If there's traffic around you, you start to think "crap... if I change lanes now, is he going to deem it unsafe??? What if I don't change lanes... I'm gonna miss the turn... or maybe he'll think I'm not capable of changing lanes in traffic and deem me 'not in control'...?".

There may be others I don't remember, but point is try to avoid traffic; it makes it real easy to forget to do the things you don't usually do when you're not being tested. And I think the main reason is because traffic is constant; it's not just a one-time thing you have to worry about during the test... it's always there.

Anyway, just something to keep in mind. Ultimately, for the guy who took the test before me, traffic was the reason he failed, at least it seemed so to me.

the test is pretty simple

just remember when your at a light, keep your brake light on, and blocking. MOVE YOUR HEAD ALOT so they can see you looking around.

Would anyone have an idea on how long of a wait time it is when you book your M2X? Are we talking one, two months or is it just a week or so? I have to take my M2X before Sept 13 2013 and I still haven't booked yet. I was hoping for more sunny days on average then the amount of rainy days we have been getting. I was going to phone in and book a date but don't know if that date is set in stone or if I can change it in case of rain. As you can read I really hate riding in the rain!

Cheers,
Lumpy

Would anyone have an idea on how long of a wait time it is when you book your M2X? Are we talking one, two months or is it just a week or so? I have to take my M2X before Sept 13 2013 and I still haven't booked yet. I was hoping for more sunny days on average then the amount of rainy days we have been getting. I was going to phone in and book a date but don't know if that date is set in stone or if I can change it in case of rain. As you can read I really hate riding in the rain!

Cheers,
Lumpy

When I booked and rode my m2 exit test in Burlington 2 weeks ago, the wait was a week. I'm sure it varies from facility to facility but there was next to no wait in Burlington. And I passed with ease too. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom