Cold Weather Bad for Motorcycle Engine? | Page 5 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Cold Weather Bad for Motorcycle Engine?

i believe y'all are referring to "shock cooling"

a link has already been provided in this thread prior

https://www.google.ca/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=shock cooling

is it real?

you did say

there's also quick info googling "shock cooling"

personally, i have zero hands on experience with rotax, or the experimental end of aviation

I have no doubt it's real... On the forums several ultralight flyers with the Rotax 582 had it happen. I never heard of it happening on the 503 (which was my point.)

..Tom

i'm all ears when it comes to rotax, experimental aviation 'shock cooling' stuff,

private pilot nevertheless stated, "it is real" for both? iow, general aviation & including experimental?

I have no idea as to what you are saying here.. Do you have a Heston or is there a point you are trying to make?

..Tom

iow, as far as 'shock cooling' goes

private pilot claims "It is real?"

here's the deal pp, the issue is 'shock cooling' & your claim is

"It is real"
?????

pls elaborate?

Last edited:
bottom line is private pilot claims 'shock cooling' for general & experimental aviation 'is real' ..to say the least

whereas (third time posted now in this thread..)
https://www.google.ca/search?q=shoc...7j69i59j0l3.7941j0j4&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8
Shock cooling refers to the theory that damage to engines (particularly air-cooledaviation piston engines) may occur because of an excessively rapid decrease in temperature. The situation where rapid cooling arises is on descent from altitude.

dude also talked about facts ..in another thread, i'm looking forward to his facts here

as far as your "feelings" go?
[video=youtube;CyBcHUe4WeQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CyBcHUe4WeQ[/video]

It's good for performance, but it's not necessarily good from a wear/longevity standpoint. On piston powered aircraft for example it's quite common for them to have shutters to control air flow over the cylinders in order to avoid shock cooling related failures. Close the throttles on an extremely cold day while still maintaining signifigant airspeed causes a drastic change in engine temperature all of a sudden which can be stressful and even cause the engine to come apart in extreme situations...that are not exactly unheard of in aviation. The shutters can be selectively closed before such power changes are applied in order to minimize and virtually eliminate the risk.

All that said most of this doesn't directly translate to the average ground based air cooled or liquid cooled engine, but it's important to keep in mind that the operation in cold weather does have potential wear and tear issues for *any* engine, although as I mentioned in my first reply there's nothing specific to motorcycle engines per se that make them any different. Your car engine doesn't "like" extreme cold either, but yes, performance may benefit.

here's a link for private pilot
https://www.google.ca/search?q=shoc...rceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8#q=is+shock+cooling+real

Last edited:
MY E-peen is bigger than yours!

NA-UH!

​YA-HUH!

It's like a comic book here sometimes!

bottom line is private pilot claims 'shock cooling' for general & experimental aviation 'is real' ..to say the least

whereas (third time posted now in this thread..)
https://www.google.ca/search?q=shoc...7j69i59j0l3.7941j0j4&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

dude also talked about facts ..in another thread, i'm looking forward to his facts here

as far as your "feelings" go?
[video=youtube;CyBcHUe4WeQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CyBcHUe4WeQ[/video]

here's a link for private pilot
https://www.google.ca/search?q=shoc...rceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8#q=is+shock+cooling+real
Why don't you just let this go? So you found some Google stuff that says "shock cooling" isn't real. Who cares? There are just as many Google claims that it is real. Why do you feel the need to pester PP non stop? If shock cooling wasn't real, why do they equip airplanes to deal with it?
Your behaviour on this forum suggests that you are quite likely 12 years old posing as a motorcycle riding adult. Please stop posting utter nonsense on every thread you come across, it's really starting to get old.
Thanks and have a great day!

Sent from my SM-A500W using Tapatalk

I have no idea as to what you are saying here.. Do you have a Heston or is there a point you are trying to make?

..Tom

I'm not sure either.

If you choose to believe that thermal shock doesn't exist, then hey, your choice, but it's science. Those of us in aviation tend to believe in science and aren't willing to risk damaging or potentially disabling the very engine that's keeping our craft in the sky, or avoiding a potential $20,000 engine rebuild because a thermal stress fracture on a cylinder or the block.

Being forced to land in places other than airports tends to go badly if the failure happens in flight.

Here's a few videos on the power of thermal shock.

[video=youtube;YdEq6O-xtuU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YdEq6O-xtuU[/video]

[video=youtube;9y79gNWp5fU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9y79gNWp5fU[/video]

Can't say I ever had a problem with thermal shock. Ran the engine in -20 and +35 temps, no implosion, explosion, not even a burp out of my bikes. Suggest running in the cold is not an issue.

Can't say I ever had a problem with thermal shock. Ran the engine in -20 and +35 temps, no implosion, explosion, not even a burp out of my bikes. Suggest running in the cold is not an issue.

You are for all intents and purposes right. It's not likely ever a major issue or risk for a ground based vehicle (no 100% power applied for extended periods followed by potential 0% power while still at high speed for extended periods), but the topic kind of drifted to expose the possible issues and to make the suggestion that at least a brief warmup period is wise for any engine to avoid some parts expanding at a different rate than others and causing undue wear and tear.

You might not see
thermal abuse on a ground based engine, but it can be causing damage in the form of reduced compression figures, bearing scoring, etc.

Had yodude not insisted on continuing to flog the topic for unclear reasons we'd have moved on long ago.

When did they stop teaching science in school?

Yes, "thermal shock" is a thing (in the automotive world we call it "cold seize")... and the boffins that designed the engine for your motorcycle knew about it. Don't drive your air cooled motorcycle, or snow mobile, into ice cold water when it is at operating temp.
Air cooled airplane engines can cold seize in air because their cylinders are made to be light, and don't have the mass of metal to absorb the sudden loss of heat.

In a motorcycle, snow mobile or light aircraft the piston is made of aluminium, the cylinder "jug" is aluminium, but the cylinder liner is steel. The steel and aluminium do not expand and contract with changes in heat at the same rate. The piston and jug contract quickly with a sudden temp drop, the cylinder liner holds heat better so it doesn't contract as fast... throwing all the clearance specs out the window... resulting in a seize or worse (broken piston or jug).

Grade 9 science.

You are for all intents and purposes right. It's not likely ever a major issue or risk for a ground based vehicle (no 100% power applied for extended periods followed by potential 0% power while still at high speed for extended periods), but the topic kind of drifted to expose the possible issues and to make the suggestion that at least a brief warmup period is wise for any engine to avoid some parts expanding at a different rate than others and causing undue wear and tear.

You might not see
thermal abuse on a ground based engine, but it can be causing damage in the form of reduced compression figures, bearing scoring, etc.

Had yodude not insisted on continuing to flog the topic for unclear reasons we'd have moved on long ago.

carry on with your might shmight mebbe , can stuff

owt ffs

& btw, any part of "asinine" that nv had to say already prior, you don't get?

Last edited:
When did they stop teaching science in school?

All I remember from my high school physics class was a girl named Donna, I had a lot of trouble getting cowl flaps to open on the velocity stack in cold weather no matter how long I warmed the car up. Summer performance was better, fuel additives like vodka helped.

[video=youtube;c5dwksSbD34]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c5dwksSbD34&index=5&list=RDetundhQa724[/video]

All I remember from my high school physics class was a girl named Donna, I had a lot of trouble getting cowl flaps to open on the velocity stack in cold weather no matter how long I warmed the car up. Summer performance was better, fuel additives like vodka helped.

Thank you for adding some levity to the thread. ;)

Perhaps I'll post a few totally unrelated videos now for no apparent reason. Seems to be a thing.

If I were the OP i would enjoy the few nice days we have left and then put the bike away and await spring. The bike can handle the winter temps without too much drama, I would warm it up a bit before heading out. The cold isn't great for it but really wont amount to much.

But here is a wonderful list of stuff that your gonna face in the winter that doesn't factor in for nice weather

-Insurance, Are you covered to ride in the winter? Also If something does happen as a new rider your gonna pay for it
-freezing throttle. Cars generally have a coolant circuit running through the throttle body to prevent icing. some bikes may have this but i would bet most don't, this wont end well in combination with other winter risks
-Salt & Brine, coats corrodes everything fasteners, exhausts, cases, anything metallic is at risk
-Ice, bikes don't do so good when you hit ice, they tend to not want to keep the rubber side down
-Tires+cold=****** traction also creates a issue keeping the rubber side down
-Cold Temps, your gonna need to deal with the cold insulated pants, heavy coats, insulated boots, gloves there is a major expense here. If you go for heated gear its that much more $$$$
-Plastic gets very brittle in the cold, any damage sustained will be twice as bad and twice as expensive
-Cagers aren't looking for bikes in the winter

Me and my buddies used to get one last hurrah in with the dirt bikes and it was a friggen gong show with a couple inches of wet leaves covered by snow you couldnt see ****, we were always bouncing off hidden surprises. traction was non-existent at times and we would crash probably 5 times as much as usual the landing is softer but you end up wet and cold. you would have to stop every 20 minutes to warm your hands up on the expansion chamber or cylinder (2stroke MX dirtbikes)

A couple years ago i was getting ready for one of these rides and took the bike up the street for a quick run test. Well lets say some wet leaves and a little ice had me low side coming down my street after a nice slide and ruined gear pants, jacket and helmet. I went to pick up my bike to find it bathing in a puddle of coolant rad hit the curb and punctured, also scratched the hell out of the plastics and tore the mounting points out of a rad shroud. all and all probably cost me $1500 had that been your 500r it would be more like $3000-$4000

As I said before enjoy what you can now. Put it away for the winter. Work hard don't take time off, hit the bike show in Jan, spend some of that hard earned money get yourself geared up for spring and then work hard some more, Come spring get the bike out and take some time off as all that hard work deserves and enjoy the nice weather and your nice new bike that didn't get destroyed by the winter

Back
Top Bottom