CBC news | Page 6 | GTAMotorcycle.com

CBC news

I did all of the t-bar ceilings. There was nothing going on in Toronto at the time and I needed work with two small children at home.

How did you find yourself in South Korea and how long were you there? Did you know of any attempted funny business before Bechtel left?

I did some work at the Honda plant up in Alliston. The contractor liked me but ran out of work for me. He mentioned Bechtel, who I never heard of at the time and he told me that they were a huge construction conglomerate. They sure were. He knew someone who put me in touch with them and the next thing I know I'm on a plane to Seoul. I guess all of the other trades were busy with the Olympic work. The job itself seemed fine. I had already worked in foreign countries including Mexico, Barbados, etc. so I'd been exposed to some funky stuff. Oh, the stories I could tell.
I was gone by the time all the funny business took over. When the collapse happened I tried to get a hold of some of the guys and managers that I worked with, but remember the internet and email weren't what they are today. I didn't even have a cell phone. Fortunately, besides a short stint in Shanghai in 1999, I have not had to do any foreign jobs. They seem glamourous and the money was brilliant, but the shine comes off very quickly.

I did some work at the Honda plant up in Alliston. The contractor liked me but ran out of work for me. He mentioned Bechtel, who I never heard of at the time and he told me that they were a huge construction conglomerate. They sure were. He knew someone who put me in touch with them and the next thing I know I'm on a plane to Seoul. I guess all of the other trades were busy with the Olympic work. The job itself seemed fine. I had already worked in foreign countries including Mexico, Barbados, etc. so I'd been exposed to some funky stuff. Oh, the stories I could tell.
I was gone by the time all the funny business took over. When the collapse happened I tried to get a hold of some of the guys and managers that I worked with, but remember the internet and email weren't what they are today. I didn't even have a cell phone. Fortunately, besides a short stint in Shanghai in 1999, I have not had to do any foreign jobs. They seem glamourous and the money was brilliant, but the shine comes off very quickly.
You sound like a well travelled man

Back
Top Bottom