California bound on an FJR1300 in April | Page 7 | GTAMotorcycle.com

California bound on an FJR1300 in April

Brilliant...where's the green with jealousy emoticon.

We used to take a long weekend run down to chase spring with the kids. As soon there were leaves and warm that was the destination.
Still fence sitting as to tomorrow.
Where are you now?

I am in Dallas for the night. While it improves here tomorrow this slow moving storm is going to follow me east for the next two days. I have a 6 hour window of clear skies headed towards Louisiana between 10-4. I think I would prefer even a little east ward progress rather than just staying in Dallas.

I hope you get to the east cuz sure is nice in PA...not sure how far south I'll go but as long as that front stays parked I''m happy :D

I am in Meridian Mississippi today. Its hot and humid. Luckily, no rain today. I am only 2 hours from Birmingham Alabama. I am excited about visiting Barber Motorsports Park tomorrow. I already did my research. They are open 12-6 Sunday. They charge $15 admission, probably a bargain. I can hardly wait.

BTW, I spent yesterday in Monroe Louisiana, home of "Duck Dynasty." These hillbilly's are laughing all the way to the bank. They have a factory with souvenir shop, a restaurant, and even a car wash. I visited the place for giggles.

Good news is the thunder storms seem to be happening in the evening, so its all good.

Last edited:
I just got in = bit epic 1600k in two days but was driven by weather behind and beside me and my Aussie time shift - up at 3 am so why not ride at 5 or 6 - this morning was magical.

Today I just kept getting pushed by the weather .....so ended up home - was only 2 hours out at 5 pm after having a great meal at Letchworth.
If you happen to be near and hungry you'll get a very classy feed. They know their stuff.

That sharp front seems to have fizzled out
Glad you got through it with out a deluge to deal with.
I must have put on and taken off the rain jacket 5 times today....really only once was it needed and that for 20 minutes before I outran it.

It's nice here now. 20ish. Enjoy spring....it's gorgeous on your way north.

I just got in = bit epic 1600k in two days but was driven by weather behind and beside me and my Aussie time shift - up at 3 am so why not ride at 5 or 6 - this morning was magical.

Today I just kept getting pushed by the weather .....so ended up home - was only 2 hours out at 5 pm after having a great meal at Letchworth.
If you happen to be near and hungry you'll get a very classy feed. They know their stuff.

That sharp front seems to have fizzled out
Glad you got through it with out a deluge to deal with.
I must have put on and taken off the rain jacket 5 times today....really only once was it needed and that for 20 minutes before I outran it.

It's nice here now. 20ish. Enjoy spring....it's gorgeous on your way north.

I went to Letchworth once. I here that dinner in the park is delicious and reasonable. I will have to try it out next time I'm there. BTW, I visited Barber Motorsport Park today. The place was awesome. It is truly a special place for any body who's heart beats with two wheeled passion. The track was being used by an automobile magazine testing high end SUV'S.

Barber will always be a special place for me, its a time machine. Whenever I'm in the place I become a child lost in a candy /toy store. :)

I went to Letchworth once. I here that dinner in the park is delicious and reasonable. I will have to try it out next time I'm there. BTW, I visited Barber Motorsport Park today. The place was awesome. It is truly a special place for any body who's heart beats with two wheeled passion. The track was being used by an automobile magazine testing high end SUV'S.

I am riding to Chattanooga today. Please suggest some other roads between here and Virginia border besides the Dragon (129) I can explore. I have done the BRP before though not this far south. Perhaps a suggested route north.

I've heard of a road called moonshiner 28 in that general area. I only know that it is highly recommended.

Just watched the weather forecast for Colorado today. They are getting SNOW! Even Denver got hit. Its a miracle I was able to ride on 11,000 foot passes in early May. The door has clearly been shut.

No personal experience yet but I find this a good resource

http://www.motorcycleroads.com/Routes/Tennessee_118.html

This one might work to get around Nashville ( if that's desirable. )

Written Directions

Begin the ride just off Interstate 40 at Silver Point, exit 273. Follow Route 56 to Altamont then switch to Route 50 which will take you to the route's end point - Pelham, TN.
Scenery
starFull.gif
starFull.gif
starFull.gif
starFull.gif
starOpen.gif

Start of with beautiful views of Center Hill Lake. Then on to typical Cumberland Plateau scenery; views off high ridges of sprawling valleys below. Lots of forests and especially beautiful in October when leaves are turning. The end of the route (when you reach Altamount and get on Route 50) will take you off of the Cumberland Plateau and you'll have some nice views as you come down.
Road Quality
starFull.gif
starFull.gif
starFull.gif
starFull.gif
starFull.gif

Good road surfaces. Marking is satisfactory; especially if you are riding in the daytime (which you must on this road). Traffic is light to nil. Hills, curves, some very steep and very sharp ... twisties, switchbacks, and some steep drop offs as you descend from the plateau. Overall, a great motorcycle road!

http://www.motorcycleroads.com/75/533/Tennessee/Routes-56--50---Cumberland-Plateau-Tour.html

but heading north east out of Chattanooga there are many options

including 800 km of the Blue Ridge if you are really in the mood to meander

http://www.motorcycleroads.com/75/616/Virginia/Blue-Ridge-Parkway.html

It's just the other side of the Nantahala National forest

You could zig north east on some of these and then cut back north west

sure is a pretty time of year to wander around there. I like the fact that these have been written by riders.

Thanks for the suggestions Mac Doc. I also got some free maps at the Tennessee welcome center. I'm at Southern Honda in Chattanooga getting a new set of tires and oil change. Service and parts are certainly cheaper here. They tell me they are the largest Honda dealer in the country. I'm grateful for them. They are the third dealership I visited and the only ones with the parts and willingness to take care of me. On another note, I just found out I'm finally back on eastern daylight savings time. Birmingham (yesterdays stop over) is only two hours away but is on central time.

Last edited:
I am in Robbinsville NC today. I rode the Cherahola Pkwy. It was great. Nice roads and scenic too. Tomorrow I meet the infamous Dragon. Locals told me a guy from Ohio died there yesterday. I don't understand why that road turns into a pissing contest for so many.

I guess I should check in and let every one know I'm still alive. Anyways, the days all a blur. After the Dragon, I rode the BRP up to Roenick, then hooked up with 311 which runs northwest for about 60 miles. I made my way up to 219 and stayed over at Elkins WV. Rode to the top of Spruce Knob, Germany Valley, and Seneca Rocks today. Tonight I am in Cumberland Maryland. I am planning to spend a couple of days in Pennsylvania before I finally return home to reality later in the week. BTW, I had an encounter with a groundhog on 33 today while traveling at 50 mph. The silly bugger gave me a head fake and lost. All I felt was a mild thud as my trusty FJR sliced the silly bugger in half. Thank God it wasn't a deer. I checked my pants and boots and bike for visible signs of carnage, and there was nothing. Go figure?

I did in a small racoon like that - the "crunch" is a bit off putting - barely a bump tho for the bike.
Silly bugger did a Uturn part way across.

I am finally back home to reality. I am thankful for my life changing trip, but reality sucks. I was starting to enjoy my life as a nomad.

Back
Top Bottom