California bound on an FJR1300 in April | Page 6 | GTAMotorcycle.com

California bound on an FJR1300 in April

In Pagosa Springs you must stop at Pagosa Baking Company, you won't be disappointed!
You are going to burn off a lot of calories riding The Wolf Creek Pass, so when you get to South Fork, have some Mexican at Ramon's! After lunch 149 to Gunnison via Spring Creek Pass and Slumgullion Pass...make sure to fill up your tank in South Fork! Save travels!
Nice for OP to have a real time travel guide with a motorcycle bias :D

Can I borrow you for Alaska or is that outside the coverage area ? ;)

••

I'm back in Canada and trying to cope with the sucky weather here.

Excellent you hit decent weather for Colorado.

I am taking my sweet time through Colorado.

You bet.......call in sick if you have to.

Nice for OP to have a real time travel guide with a motorcycle bias :D

Can I borrow you for Alaska or is that outside the coverage area ? ;)
Sorry,I have no first-hand knowledge of Alaska. Not in my future travel plans either.:(

How is the FJR so far? (vs the Bandit)

How is the FJR so far? (vs the Bandit)
The main difference between the FJR and the Bandit 1200 so far is the seamless fuel injection. On paper the FJR puts out a lot more power, but I just don't feel it. The Bandit never lacked for power when over talking at highway speeds. The FJR is more refined but not exponentially more powerful.

I am in Gunnison Colorado tonight. I started my day in Durango. 550 was treacherous. Yes it was beautiful, but there was thick gravel in virtually every hair pin corner. I did OK but the road conditions could have easily swallowed an unsuspecting biker. Don't get me wrong, I am grateful the high mountain passes were open so early, it was just tricky.

Today I enjoy my last Colorado day. I have been in the state for 3 days. Here's my Colorado recap: Upon completing Monument Valley Utah I started my journey in Grand Junction. From there I headed south on 141 to Telluride. I then took 145 s to Durango for the night. Yesterday I ventured n on 550 and east on 50 to Gunnison. Finally today I plan to hit 149 s through Wolfcreek pass. I haven't solidified my return route. I will try to find a route that minimizes boredom. I am not in a hurry so I do not need the most direct route.

I hope u went into the National Monument in Grand Junction - If not u missed a great ride and sites.

I have not been on an intensive Colorado ride. I am on a 6 week south west tour. I am sure I missed nice spots in California and Arizona too, but I can't do it all in one trip. Any way, I have been blessed with a few days of summer like weather in Colorado but my window of opportunity is now closing. The forecast for tomorrow is for cooler temps and thunder storms. This will likely mean snow in the high mountain passes. With this in mind I may pursue a south easterly route home. I don't mind warm rain, but cold rain or snow don't turn me on when I 'm on my bike.

Colorado is just giving you a reason to go back for another trip. Colorado is such a tease. Lol

Today I rode from south eastern Colorado to Amarillo Texas. I was planning to achieve more miles but there was a southern wind blowing at 35-50 mph. The sky was brown and tumble weeds were constantly crossing my path. It was a new world to me. Any way, I made the most of it and got caught up with my laundry. Afterwards I took advantage of a free limo ride and went to "The Big Texan" for dinner. This is the place that offers a free dinner to any one who can finish their 72 ounce steak, It was hilarious. Waitresses serving me in cowboy hats, musicians going from table to table singing Johnny Cash songs. Even the limo had Texas Long Horns strapped to the hood. You had to be there.

Last edited:
That's a dismal spot if I recall - I did Toronto to Amarillo non-stop in the van. SO you are about 24 hours riding time from home.

Looks like you are heading into some very severe weather...

[h=2]Menacing Storm Outbreak Set to Begin Across Central US Wednesday[/h]
lada.png
[h=6]By Brian Lada, Meteorologist[/h][h=5]May 07, 2014; 8:03 PM[/h]
More Sharing ServicesShare|Share on facebookShare on twitterShare on linkedin

breaking.jpg

Portions of the Plains will be at risk of severe weather on Wednesday, the first of a two-day severe weather event across the region.
Following a dry start to the day, thunderstorms are forecast to develop late on Wednesday afternoon and become more widespread heading into the night.
Those from central Texas to Wisconsin and back into northern Nebraska should be prepared for storms that could produce damaging wind gusts in excess of 65 mph, hail as large as baseballs and blinding downpours.
These storms will be strong enough to put property at risk with winds that could blow over power lines as well as hail large enough to dent vehicles.
650x366_05071406_wed_severe.jpg

http://www.accuweather.com/en/weather-news/strong-storms-to-stretch-acros/26609005

careful out there

What can I do? I have been lucky so far. Two days of rain in a month. BTW, my plan to get home is an indirect one. I am riding south into Louisiana, Miss, Alabama, until I get to Atlanta. At that point, I will head north through the Smokey, and Blue Ridge mountains. I am giving my self two weeks to get home.

Barber Motorcycle Museum in Birmingham, Alabama is a great stop if you have the time and inclination.
Safe travels.

Weather - you should be fine then as it looks to be moving a bit north and slowly- for some reason I thought you were on a tight time frame coming home.

650x366_05071452_severe_setup.jpg

http://www.accuweather.com/en/weather-news/thursday-severe-tornadoes-thun/26622216

You get through on the other side without dents in the helmet from big hail looks warm and wonderful for a few days at least.

I'm keeping an eye on that storm system as I want to maybe head to Virginia on Friday and predicitions are in the 30s for the weekend which surprised me. ( Damn just noticed it's already Thursday early AM - better get my act together)
See if I can find some greenery....pretty beat up trees here and still chilly

It's even into the 20s here on Friday with scattered Tstorms.

I find it's fun dodging scattered Tstorms...makes for interesting skies and lovely riding after them - air smells fresh.
In them???....not so fun.

Enjoy the shift into warm.

Today I rode from south eastern Colorado to Amarillo Texas. I was planning to achieve more miles but there was a southern wind blowing at 35-50 mph. The sky was brown and tumble weeds were constantly crossing my path. It was a new world to me. Any way, I made the most of it and got caught up with my laundry. Afterwards I took advantage of a free limo ride and went to "The Big Texan" for dinner. This is the place that offers a free dinner to any one who can finish their 72 ounce steak, It was hilarious. Waitresses serving me in cowboy hats, musicians going from table to table singing Johnny Cash songs. Even the limo had Texas Long Horns strapped to the hood. You had to be there.

I have passed through Amarillo, but didn't have the chance to stay there. I also wanted to see the Palo Duro (think that's the wrong spelling) Canyon, as well as the Cadillac Ranch - again have to wait for a different trip. Panhandle in Texas was my least favourite part of my return trip from Arizona a couple of years ago - was dry, hot, windy, barren and stinky.

Glad to hear your trip is exceeding expectations. Makes me think I'm going to do a run to Colorado later this year - since I already cheated and did the fly/rent route for Arizona. Riding in the "big country" gets in your blood and you start to feel claustrophic back in civilization.

Panhandle in Texas was my least favourite part of my return trip from Arizona a couple of years ago - was dry, hot, windy, barren and stinky.

Funny that's what I thought eeerrr about 18 years ago driving the kids to Disney. :rolleyes:

Well I guess my luck had to run out some time. I mean I have only encountered rain twice in a month. Any way, I am in my motel room watching the down pour as the TV program I was watching was preempted to announce a tornado warning for the Dallas area. Welcome to Texas in the spring. BTW, I did get wet, but at least it was 80 degrees. The local meteorologists are in a league of their own. When they announce a tornado warning they tell you exactly what street blocks are mostly affected. They are that good. They see severe weather all the time.

Last edited:
Are you online while riding for severe weather alerts?

or looking at the weather on the other side of the visor and riding accordingly :D

You might be able to stay behind this give your flexible schedule. ....it might drift past Birmingham by the time you get there.

Texas to New York at Risk for Flooding Downpours, Disruptions to Events

sosnowski.png
By Alex Sosnowski, Expert Senior Meteorologist

May 08, 2014; 5:02 PM

More Sharing ServicesShare|Share on facebookShare on twitterShare on linkedin

breaking.jpg

A risk of flash flooding will reach from the Gulf Coast to the Tennessee Valley on Friday, while enough downpours farther to the north and east can foil outdoor plans into Saturday.
A slow-moving storm producing severe weather over the Plains through Thursday will shift farther east later this week. While the storm will transition away from severe weather, it can still cause some problems.
A general 0.50 to 1.00 inch of rain will fall from a mosaic of showers and thunderstorms that drifts slowly to the east Friday and Saturday over the Central and Eastern states. In a few locations where downpours repeat, there can be several inches of rain and flash flooding.
650x366_05081336_hd27.jpg

Friday will be the wetter of the two days from coastal Texas and Arkansas to Ohio, Indiana, Michigan and upstate New York.
Folks traveling along the I-40, I-55, I-64 and I-65 corridors should be prepared for sudden low visibility and excess water on the roadway. Flight delays are possible from locally strong thunderstorms in Detroit, Indianapolis, Cincinnati, Memphis and Houston.
Saturday will be the more unsettled of the two days from Alabama to New Jersey, southeastern New York state and southeastern New England.
650x366_05081409_hd27-1.jpg

Motorists should be prepared for slow travel along the I-59 and I-81 corridors, as well as a portion of I-80 and I-95. Downpours can cause some minor flight delays in New York City, Philadelphia, Washington, D.C., Pittsburgh, Atlanta and New Orleans.
From southeastern Louisiana to much of Pennsylvania, both days have the potential for disruptive downpours.

I might try for Lake Placid Friday and Saturday tho looks to be nice here as well.....totally indecisive.
Enjoy the warmth....I might even take the rain risk on Saturday just to get into the higher temps and some greenery.

I guess spring is well underway on your route???

Are you online while riding for severe weather alerts?

or looking at the weather on the other side of the visor and riding accordingly :D

You might be able to stay behind this give your flexible schedule. ....it might drift past Birmingham by the time you get there.

I might try for Lake Placid Friday and Saturday tho looks to be nice here as well.....totally indecisive.
Enjoy the warmth....I might even take the rain risk on Saturday just to get into the higher temps and some greenery.

I guess spring is well underway on your route???

Dear Mac Doc, It became summer on April 11 for me. That is the day I arrived in CharlestonWV.It was 22 degrees and sunny. I have not experienced any cold since then because my trajectory has been south west in order to insulate me from the realities of a T.O winter.

Back
Top Bottom