Buying Selling on Kijiji woes | Page 5 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Buying Selling on Kijiji woes

I sold my snowmobile in 3 days on kijiji. I priced it for $400 more than I wanted and even at that price it was a good deal. I still had people try and haggle by email but the buyer showed up on time and waited until he looked it over to make an offer. He got a good deal on a sled and I got my garage back before the summer.

Online classifieds are an iffy affair. Tim Bosma posted his truck for sale in multiple locations, including Kijiji, and ended up dead at the hands of Dellen Millard and an accomplice during a test drive... Kijiji insists the initial contact wasn't made through their site but after reading of other online horror stories (mostly involving Craigslist in the US) you really have to be careful out there when dealing with the psychos that often inhabit and troll sites like those...

I guess that tragedy teaches us to never allow test drives if the buyer is going to be next to you. You're too vulnerable.

I aways ask for contact details if people are interested and then contact them on phone etc. I also check up on their email address too to see if they are for real. I've had a couple of time wasters, and so I have a rule of never holding anything for anyone unless a deposit is paid (paypal).

I sell a lot of tech related goods (cell phones, computer equipment etc) on Kijiji and thats an area you see a lot of ****** bags.

Asking price fair? What mythical Unicorns have you been finding on Kijiji?

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-sport-bikes/...pu/1058509200?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

Guy had safety and UVIP. Sold it in two days. Meanwhile, most ads are >$5000, right beside ads from dealers for $4800 new.

How to sell to kijidiots:

1. Set a real price from the start.
2. Have safety and UVIP. None of this "should not need anything to safety" BS.
3. You want to farkle out in plastic, ok, but realize that hurts value and you should keep the stock parts. Much better to revert to stock and sell the farkle separately.
4. Do not discuss anything except live viewing time. Do not bother with email offers, do not respond to "iz it stil fer sail?". These are wankers who have no money.
5. If you can offer to deliver.
6. Take a substantial cash deposit, at least $500 before transferring for the whole amount. No deposit? Sell it to the first person who has it.
7. no test rides.

It's nice to blame buyers, but sellers in the GTA are often trying to sell busted up junk with money still owing on it.

Just bought some rims with tires through Kijiji this weekend. Arranged an approximate time, called day of (next day) to confirm I'd be about an hour later, met on my way to a family event, exactly as described, offered $340 on his $375 asking, he countered with $350, agreed, left, put on my car the next day.

Overall great transaction. I could've been more preemptive with scheduling but I figured since I said "around this time" that an hour later wasn't a big deal.

This has been my typical experience. If someone shows up, they buy.

Online classifieds are an iffy affair. Tim Bosma posted his truck for sale in multiple locations, including Kijiji, and ended up dead at the hands of Dellen Millard and an accomplice during a test drive... Kijiji insists the initial contact wasn't made through their site but after reading of other online horror stories (mostly involving Craigslist in the US) you really have to be careful out there when dealing with the psychos that often inhabit and troll sites like those...
One guy killed out of millions of kijiji deals. I think we're safe

One guy killed out of millions of kijiji deals. I think we're safe

Not only that but as a rule I've never gone alone nor have any of my friends to look at a kijiji item. Even if I had something for sale I've always had someone else around. People are weirdos these days but I think that was one extreme case. I've never yet had an issue

Not only that but as a rule I've never gone alone nor have any of my friends to look at a kijiji item. Even if I had something for sale I've always had someone else around. People are weirdos these days but I think that was one extreme case. I've never yet had an issue

It's only prudent to be safe when someone knows you are showing up to a remote locale with hundreds in cash.

It's only prudent to be safe when someone knows you are showing up to a remote locale with hundreds in cash.

Even not remote. My friend went to buy a yzf600 the other day in mississauga with cash. I went because he's new to bikes and wanted to make sure it was good but either way he wouldn't have gone alone. Definitely you're right, never anywhere remote alone

You mean that place that had the street shootout with cops this weekend?

Street shootout with cops? I stopped looking at the gta news. It's always someone getting shot stabbed etc. City full of pussies who don't know how to fight so they have to use compensation.

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-sport-bikes/...pu/1058509200?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

Guy had safety and UVIP. Sold it in two days. Meanwhile, most ads are >$5000, right beside ads from dealers for $4800 new.

How to sell to kijidiots:

1. Set a real price from the start.
2. Have safety and UVIP. None of this "should not need anything to safety" BS.
3. You want to farkle out in plastic, ok, but realize that hurts value and you should keep the stock parts. Much better to revert to stock and sell the farkle separately.
4. Do not discuss anything except live viewing time. Do not bother with email offers, do not respond to "iz it stil fer sail?". These are wankers who have no money.
5. If you can offer to deliver.
6. Take a substantial cash deposit, at least $500 before transferring for the whole amount. No deposit? Sell it to the first person who has it.
7. no test rides.

It's nice to blame buyers, but sellers in the GTA are often trying to sell busted up junk with money still owing on it.

And he probably had it paid off! Three bikes I went to see and offered $ only to be told 'You'll have to wait a week as I need to pay off the loan first and get a lien waiver'....DO NOT SELL ITEMS THAT ARE NOT LIEN FREE!

And he probably had it paid off! Three bikes I went to see and offered $ only to be told 'You'll have to wait a week as I need to pay off the loan first and get a lien waiver'....DO NOT SELL ITEMS THAT ARE NOT LIEN FREE!

That's what the UVIP is for. I would suggest that if people cannot sell a motorcycle without clearing the liens first, they have no business buying the bike in the first place.

^^^ Buying a used vehicle with a lien on it has not been a big deal for me. In my experience, I have found vendors to be motivated to sell for just what is owed without trying to make profits because they are happy just to be off the hook for the monthly payments.

I just purchased a car which had a lien on it. UVIP had information about the lien and the name of the lending Bank. The seller provided me with a fax from the bank with a payout amount and the loan number, the payout amount is usually good for a week or so from the date the fax was issued. Had a bank draft made in the name of the bank with the loan number written on it, met the seller at a branch of the bank, presented the draft to the bank teller who applied it against the loan and provided a print out showing loan paid in full. Next day, I went to the MTO with the ownership and transferred it over to my name, got new plates issued and am enjoying the vehicle....

Cheers!

I sold a car with a $15000 lien on it. Guy agreed to pay $17000 with the lien on the condition that I pay off the lien with the money. So we just went to the bank, turned out it was actually his Mom buying it, she paid off my loan on the spot, gave me a check for the remaining amount, we signed a sales agreement, drove to the MTO together, transferred ownership, they drove it to my place to drop me off at home and then they left. Easy.

Didn't have a problem selling my bike on Kijiji. Posted it on the 18th and sold it yesterday. I got a lot of "Will you accept X amount" email offers and I simply replied by saying "I'm sorry but I can't sell it for that price". I had 3 appointments for Sunday, neither person spoke #'s via texts/emails or even over the phone, they just wanted a day/time to come see the bike. The first guy that saw the bike, bought it.

You can usually ignore/cuss the low ballers/day dreamers but that leaves you 0% chance of selling them your item. I find that if you're patient and actually respond in a decent manner, you at least have a potential lead who may end up being serious at the end.

People like to try their luck sometimes and I don't see a problem with that. All you have to do is say no followed by a brief explanation and it's up to them to take it from there.

Never had a problem buying or selling on Kijiji.

Last edited:
Didn't have a problem selling my bike on Kijiji. Posted it on the 18th and sold it yesterday. I got a lot of "Will you accept X amount" email offers and I simply replied by saying "I'm sorry but I can't sell it for that price". I had 3 appointments for Sunday, neither person spoke #'s via texts/emails or even over the phone, they just wanted a day/time to come see the bike. The first guy that saw the bike, bought it.

You can usually ignore/cuss the low ballers/day dreamers but that leaves you 0% chance of selling them your item. I find that if you're patient and actually respond in a decent manner, you at least have a potential lead who may end up being serious at the end.

People like to try their luck sometimes and I don't see a problem with that. All you have to do is say no followed by a brief explanation and it's up to them to take it from there.

Never had a problem buying or selling on Kijiji.
What bike did you sell?

Back
Top Bottom