Buying Selling on Kijiji woes | Page 4 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Buying Selling on Kijiji woes

Guys,
It goes both ways too, it's not just sellers that get the shaft. As I told my recent story in other posts: I had a deposit down, with arrangements made for safetying and payment, all agreed, spent a day negotiating, and then after it was all said and done, I get a text: "sorry, I'm returning your deposit, I had to go with a lower offer on an as-is basis". So frankly, a deposit can mean very little. And there's no way I'd leave a deposit on:
- any bike located very far away from me, or
- any bike With money still owing on it.

and as bikerider said, especially if you are travelling many KM's to buy a bike, you wanna make sure everything is all laid out as much as possible beforehand. I had one seller who sent me a video tour of his bike! Now THAT'S a motivated seller. I want a good price, sure, but I want to buy from someone who can tell me a lot about the bike, sell me on its positives, and work with me on closing the deal. i have met and talked to a lot of sellers who are just content to stand back, let you take a look at the bike, and leave the Ball entirely in the buyers' court. To that I say...Ok thanks buddy! Someone else can take my thousands of dollars if this is too much work for you!

I need to trust the seller, no matter how good the price is, a lot of It comes down to that (at least for me). So it's not just sellers that experience kijiji woes, think of it from the buyers' perspective too.

So because he sold the bike after the deposit, you have not only the right to the bike at the agree upon price, but also damages for causing you the hardship of having to look for and pay for another. This is known as a breach of conditions of a contract.

When you payed the deposit. You provided partial consideration for the bike. He gave you a note. Proving you payed the deposit. Go get your bike.

Sent from my my mobile using a strange app for damaged people

Last edited:
Yea good luck taking him to court for it.
The cost associated with it would not be worth it, also court would have to be filed in city it took place so more travel and time lost.
At least he got his deposit back, ive seen some shady crap on kijiji.

I recently went pretty far to go look at a bike and ended up making a deal on the spot.

Deal was for X amount for a bike that is certified and safetied, with condition that seller shows clear title and that there are no liens on the vehicle. Seller agreed to price and didn't want a deposit so we shook on it and I drove home happy that deal is done and I now have a new bike!

Two days later seller emails me to tell me that he will honour the price, but in 'as is' condition and won't safety it. So I cancel the deal and that same day end up buying the bike I brought home today.

I personally think he got a better offer and went for that. Should've had red flags come up when he refused a deposit for the bike in order to hold it...

Ah well....got a better bike, with 1/5 the kms and for $400 less than we agreed to.

I tried to sell my ninja 250 1700 certified and I eventually sold it but I had people offer me 400$ plus a Xbox plus ipod lmao other people that asked if I could take payments.... I told him to go the bank and get a loan.

I recently went pretty far to go look at a bike and ended up making a deal on the spot.

Deal was for X amount for a bike that is certified and safetied, with condition that seller shows clear title and that there are no liens on the vehicle. Seller agreed to price and didn't want a deposit so we shook on it and I drove home happy that deal is done and I now have a new bike!

Two days later seller emails me to tell me that he will honour the price, but in 'as is' condition and won't safety it. So I cancel the deal and that same day end up buying the bike I brought home today.

I personally think he got a better offer and went for that. Should've had red flags come up when he refused a deposit for the bike in order to hold it...

Ah well....got a better bike, with 1/5 the kms and for $400 less than we agreed to.

Yeah, guy was clearly shopping around still and wanted to have you around as a last option.
It happens. That's why I usually buy everything on the spot if I can help it. Although in your case it worked out to your benefit.

I wish more people had UVIPs. So easy to get them. Don't even have to move your butt, available online. Safety, I generally don't worry about. It's nice but no deal breaker.

I remember buying the new auto traders every week, also the triad buy & sell
Ah the good old days when ads listed details, never said no low ballers and generally things weren't priced astronomically. That and after you were done the newspaper helped start the fireplace

Had a similar thing. Went to get my current bike , showed up and there was another guy waiting if I didn't buy it. He said he would pay 500$ more then me. I said I drove all this way was promised the bike for the original price. Guy said okay to me, man of his word good guy! So not all kijiji experiences are bad

Ah the good old days when ads listed details, never said no low ballers and generally things weren't priced astronomically. That and after you were done the newspaper helped start the fireplace
You old enough to remember the penny saver? Lol

I sold a car to a guy who didn't have transportation to come to my house. I drove there and did the deal.

Sold a bike to someone who asked me to hold it a week till they got OSAP funds.

I've got my old bike for sale right now online.
The potential buyers that initiate contact by asking me if I will accept X lowered price, you test my patience and I am so on to you! :blob5:

If you're a serious buyer come and see the bike and bring cash with you in the event you'd like to buy it. I've disclosed everything about the bike so there shouldn't be any surprises.

It comes saftied for pete's sake. My goal is to make sure the bike goes to someone who will respect and enjoy it.

Had someone ask me to consider $550 below asking price and include delivery. LOL

Ohhh C-List how you amuse me.

I've got my old bike for sale right now online.
The potential buyers that initiate contact by asking me if I will accept X lowered price, you test my patience and I am so on to you! :blob5:

If you're a serious buyer come and see the bike and bring cash with you in the event you'd like to buy it. I've disclosed everything about the bike so there shouldn't be any surprises.

It comes saftied for pete's sake. My goal is to make sure the bike goes to someone who will respect and enjoy it.

Had someone ask me to consider $550 below asking price and include delivery. LOL

Ohhh C-List how you amuse me.

Not sure how much you are asking, but $550 below doesn't sound terrible. I would probably start a negotiation there. I have no problem bargaining or looking for a bargain, but when it's done I'm ready to buy,
But delivery? Charge 'em $550 for it.

You old enough to remember the penny saver? Lol

I sold a car to a guy who didn't have transportation to come to my house. I drove there and did the deal.

Sold a bike to someone who asked me to hold it a week till they got OSAP funds.

I recall it yes. Funny enough I know someone who did the osap thing for a chevette for a cheap run around lol

To be honest, people complaining is starting to get a bit old. Yes, you will get asked stupid questions and will have to deal with no shows. Doesn't matter what you write on your ad and how many pictures you post. People will always offer less than you think they should, they will always try to negotiate up front. All these habits will never change. If it's funny enough, share it with us. If not - suck it up buttercup! :)

Here is what I paste in all my ads now. It dropped the lowballers by 95% the rest I just dont respond too.
I am not stuck to sell. Lowballers dont bother. If you come see the machine and wish to haggle I am interested. If you are just sitting behind your keyboard throwing out lowballs to see what sticks dont bother you will be ignored. Dont care if it is CASH; ,Guess what? It will always be CASH. I will not send it with your shipper. I will not accept your bank cheque. Sorry to be so blunt just tired of dealing with kijidiots.

kijiji is great. I used to use eBay in the years past. Bought and sold all kinds of stuff.

you get all kinds. who cares, weed em out. and with email its easy.

you know the buyer is serious when he contacts you and comes right away to see/buy the product. the rest are just playing around.

Long live Kijiji....

Sometimes buyers need "motivation". More than once I've had "maybe I have time to see it next week" and when I say OK, someone else is coming tomorrow, all of a sudden they want to meet tonight. But by far the best ones are "what is your best price?" Well MY best price is the one I listed it for. What did you think, I would chisel myself down immediately - ah well I want $200 so I'll list it for $300, my "best price" is $250 come and get it. Still with all the issues it is a good way to sell stuff.

I don't buy much off kijiji(I try to buy brand new except for bikes) so was not familiar with the lay of the land. Some guy put up a bike I could see myself owning, but of course a bit on the high side$, so I unknowingly kijidioted him an email that said "if bike is as described consider it sold at $X". It got real ugly real fast. These threads are educational.

I've no problem with the idiots that email me with low balls, stupid requests, offers of CASH, or payment plans (I'd accept the payment plan so long as I keep the product until it's 100% paid, and you don't get your $ back if you stop paying). The real idiots are easy enough to weed out as even if you respond they won't go to email #2 fairly quick.

My issue is with people that make a deal with you, and then reneg on the deal....especially if you just spent 4hrs in a car going there and back.

Just bought some rims with tires through Kijiji this weekend. Arranged an approximate time, called day of (next day) to confirm I'd be about an hour later, met on my way to a family event, exactly as described, offered $340 on his $375 asking, he countered with $350, agreed, left, put on my car the next day.

Overall great transaction. I could've been more preemptive with scheduling but I figured since I said "around this time" that an hour later wasn't a big deal.

Back
Top Bottom