Best dual sport or something along those lines? | Page 4 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Best dual sport or something along those lines?

My $0.02...

+1 for the XR650L!

They need less upgrading than a KLR to be good in the dirt and are about as reliable as a hammer. They have been around in more or less the same configuration since the early 1990's and are about as complex as my lawnmower when it comes to repairs. It's a far more a dirt-oriented bike than a road bike though; short trips are fine but if you have a hours-long ride ahead of you it may not be the most comfortable...

The XRL is not perfect, but then again what dually is? I've done a lot of single-track in the Ganny and my only complaint was that it's a bit heavy for when the sand gets deep (front end can plow) but dropping the tire pressure down to about 10 PSI makes a big difference. First gear can be a bit tall for the dirt but swapping the front sprocket out for one with one less tooth makes it manageable. Tires make a big difference as well, I'm on Heidenau's now and there are waaaayyy better than the previous Scorpion's (great in the dry, so so in the dirt, scary in the wet).

Some of the dually KTM's are more capable in the dirt but unless you got deep pockets they can be expensive to buy and maintain.

You may want to consider a DR400 or if you can find one a DR350 is good too. They are lighter than the XR650L so handle easier in the dirt but of course don't have the 650-sized oomph for the road.

Dually's are all about compromises; they are Jack-of-all-trades bikes so don't do either road or dirt particularly well. The manufacturers always try to strike a balance between the two with some ending up more on the road side (VStrom) and others more on the dirt side (XRL or KTM). It would be awesome if they built a bike that did both superbly well but that probably won't be in my lifetime. I love my XRL...I've owned a lot of bikes over the years and it's always been the dually's that gave me the most smiles-per-mile. Never mind just dirt riding, it's a blast catching air from big speed bumps! Could never do that on my ST1100...

How and where you ride should guide your choice. If you are planning a ride to California then a XRL would not be a good choice, but if you think your road-time on the bike will never be more than say 2 hours a trip then a XRL (or KTM or DR or KLR) makes sense. Whatever you choose you are going to have fun with it...enjoy!

Not sure...Husky's have a good reputation on the dirt but I have no idea how they would be on the road. It's biggest problem I see is that the dealer, aftermarket, and support network is very sparse - it's a niche brand.

If I were you I would stay away from niche brands like Husky (or Gas Gas); not because they aren't good bikes but for somebody new to the dually world you would do better with something more mainstream where there are a ton of guys who can help you with the techie stuff and where OEM & aftermarket parts are plentiful and (relatively) inexpensive. Niche bikes are expensive, not just to buy but to maintain as well.

Go for the niche stuff after you've ridden for a year or two and know better what you want...

I'm just noticing, that the Honda CRF230L has the same curb weight as the DRZ400... but some people are saying the DRZ is heavy.

Is the Honda just a pig?? Does it suck?? It's only 5 grand new.... thoughts?

I'm just noticing, that the Honda CRF230L has the same curb weight as the DRZ400... but some people are saying the DRZ is heavy.

The WR250 and the KTM690 are also in that same weight region.

Other than cheap, the Honda is an underpowered pig when compared the other bikes you and I have listed.

You're looking at the new CRF250L, but yeah, I did a double-take when I first saw the curb weight. The CRF230L is the previous model and it's supposed to be 50lbs lighter, plus there are plenty of used ones around.

You're looking at the new CRF250L, but yeah, I did a double-take when I first saw the curb weight. The CRF230L is the previous model and it's supposed to be 50lbs lighter, plus there are plenty of used ones around.

Haha, great catch! Thanks!!

Wow wth is with all the stickers on the bike. I'd go with the other bike, looks cleaner and comes with all the stock parts.

There's also a guy on my fb group that is selling his bike. "Anyone looking for a supermoto for the spring? It's a 2008 DRZ400sm with 8,100km's, shoot me a message for more details!"

Wow wth is with all the stickers on the bike. I'd go with the other bike, looks cleaner and comes with all the stock parts.

There's also a guy on my fb group that is selling his bike. "Anyone looking for a supermoto for the spring? It's a 2008 DRZ400sm with 8,100km's, shoot me a message for more details!"

Can you give me some info man?

Yeah, I saw that stickered out bike on Kijiji, as well... lol, don't worry though, ajaxguy, you're way closer to buying than I am right now so I won't be stealing any out from under you. :)

Especially after reading a bit more, I'm starting to consider a used WR.

Back
Top Bottom