backyard shed? | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

backyard shed?

Shane, if you have nice nieghbors i"d go over and say this is what i'd like to do, and here is a picture of what I think it will look like, since the only one that will complain is the nieghbor. Nobody is driving around from the city looking in your yard, If the nieghbor is cool ,build a shed.
Mine at the last house was 6" off the property line because the nieghbor was asked, and he said go ahead.
sometimes a little forward communication solves a lot of challenges
I'll agree with everything you say here. Neighbours will make or break any project you do. The guy that was snapping photos of our yard a few days ago was doing it again and this time I saw him. He waved, and I just yelled back 'I'm on my way to see you now.'

I was very polite and asked him whether there is a problem that he's taking photos of my wife and kids when they're in the yard from his roof? He said no that he just wanted to see the new deck. So I invited him to come see it.

Gone by a few times now and introduced him to the kids and wife, so hopefully the issue is resolved.

We want a garden shed to go on the side of our house.

I'm not building it myself - I have too many other things on the go, but could hire someone or buy a prefab and install it.

Any thoughts?
A couple yrs ago I needed another shed. Unable to do it myself at the time, I found this crew.
No tax (they are on the 6 nations reserve) Great service. Much better than average. So much better than plastic. There's no limit to what they build, entirely up to you.

Attachments

• 20190311_114541.jpg
    20190311_114541.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 28
When we bought our house the owner said that a neighbour ratted on him for a building on the side of the house (approx 10x10). The City came, and they said because it's only 3 walls, attached to house it's not a shed and a non-issue. Idiot me didn't ask about permits or anything and just took him on his word.
Mississauga only allows 1 standalone shed, 1 gazebo on the property. I wonder if I could add another one with no issues, as space is always nice to have. Our shed is literally on the property line...so I guess an over zealous permit inspector could come in and tell me to demolish it, or make it smaller.

When we bought our house the owner said that a neighbour ratted on him for a building on the side of the house (approx 10x10). The City came, and they said because it's only 3 walls, attached to house it's not a shed and a non-issue. Idiot me didn't ask about permits or anything and just took him on his word.
Mississauga only allows 1 standalone shed, 1 gazebo on the property. I wonder if I could add another one with no issues, as space is always nice to have. Our shed is literally on the property line...so I guess an over zealous permit inspector could come in and tell me to demolish it, or make it smaller.

Can you ask the city to see what's in their records? Maybe it's grandfathered.

Can you ask the city to see what's in their records? Maybe it's grandfathered.
I would prefer NOT to bring attention to the issue. For all intents and purposes we purchased a house with all legal and permitted buildings on the site.

I would prefer NOT to bring attention to the issue. For all intents and purposes we purchased a house with all legal and permitted buildings on the site.

No, I'm not saying to bring attention to the shed, just asking for the latest property plan. I've requested the plans before, but back then they only kept them in their filing cabinets for 5 years.

No, I'm not saying to bring attention to the shed, just asking for the latest property plan. I've requested the plans before, but back then they only kept them in their filing cabinets for 5 years.
My municipality (and I expect the vast majority) do not maintain an up to date plan. The closest you might get is ask for whatever plan was submitted for the most recent permit, however, that drawing may not be complete and even if it is, it doesn't mean everything shown on it would be allowed if scrutinized.

Haven't thought of that. Will look into it. But judging I have a feeling (from my discussion with previous owner) the shed was built without a permit, but the City was sent down and dismissed any issues. The guy that called is now dead. He would call every day to complain about something.

I'm hoping my issue with the peeping tom on the roof is done now after I spoke with him as well.

If you have the yard space most cities allow for 10 m2 without permit--metric thing. This works out to roughly 108 sq.ft or 9 X 12, you won't find a kit for this size but if you do your own stick construction you can maximize internal storage space. This is one reason I went stick (lumber).

Another is you can pick over all the materials, in a kit quality can be hit or miss.

If you go stick you can design it so most of the dimensional lumber can be used with minimal cuts. For example they sell 2X4s in some lengths less than 8 foot. Saves a lot of time and tool wear.

Most nice kits are better finished, my external walls still look like crap because I am lazy and have not installed siding yet (over the painted mold resistant OSB I used)... years on. Kit would have been better here for me.

Also check your required setback from property line, most are around 60cm (~2 feet), you may want to consider that regardless of kit or stick. Many people jam it against the fence only to have a neighbour complain to bylaw...

Hope that helps...anyone looking at this zombie thread.

Last edited:
If you have the yard space most cities allow for 10 m2 without permit--metric thing. This works out to roughly 108 sq.ft or 9 X 12, you won't find a kit for this size but if you do your own stick construction you can maximize internal storage space. This is one reason I went stick (lumber).

Another is you can pick over all the materials, in a kit quality can be hit or miss.

If you go stick you can design it so most of the dimensional lumber can be used with minimal cuts. For example they sell 2X4s in some lengths less than 8 foot. Saves a lot of time and tool wear.

Most nice kits are better finished, my external walls still look like crap because I am lazy and have not installed siding yet (over the painted mold resistant OSB I used)... years on. Kit would have been better here for me.

Also check your required setback from property line, most are around 60cm (~2 feet), you may want to consider that regardless of kit or stick. Many people jam it against the fence only to have a neighbour complain to bylaw...

Hope that helps...anyone looking at this zombie thread.
At the old house, I built a garbage shed (8'x3'x6' lwh) that was roughly to the property line. To open the door, you had to stand on the neighbours property. I talked to the neighbour before I started and he was cool with it. Just in case the neighbours property sold, I built it so it could be broken down into components and relocated (probably to the in-laws cottage). I sold before the neighbour did so thankfully I never had to move it. Some of the pieces would have been quite heavy (roof was ~4x8 stick built, plywood sheathing and shingled).

I may build another one here. It works really well to keep the stink out of your garage. The entire front opened (three doors), cans and recycling bins were behind two doors with a shelf above for HHW, wine bottles etc that get accumulated before a disposal trip. Door 3 was full height inside for garden tools/snowblower in the summer. Floor was built like a deck with air space underneath and I left the back open and a 2" slot above the doors so there was lots of airflow and it never smelled bad.

I'm just starting the worlds smallest shed, It needs to fit under a 2nd floor deck, 7'6" headroom and not interfere with a door out of the house , so about 6'5" by 42" by 6'6" tall. And not be ugly. And i need it done by the weekend .....

I'm just starting the worlds smallest shed, It needs to fit under a 2nd floor deck, 7'6" headroom and not interfere with a door out of the house , so about 6'5" by 42" by 6'6" tall. And not be ugly. And i need it done by the weekend .....
Keep posting here, and it'll put itself up!

I am so embarassed CTC has a suncast plastic shed for $899. Its the size I need, and it will be under a deck near a basement walkout so really never to be seen.
I sell wood , and I just ordered a plastic shed.

I am so embarassed CTC has a suncast plastic shed for $899. Its the size I need, and it will be under a deck near a basement walkout so really never to be seen.
I sell wood , and I just ordered a plastic shed.
No shame in that....we will keep your secret safe.

Right now this is the one we are likely to get.
Home Depot 4'x6' :https://www.homedepot.ca/product/keter-factor-4-ft-x-6-ft-shed/1001525101?eid=PS_GOOGLE_D28 - E-Comm_GGL_Shopping_PLA_EN_Outdoors_Outdoors_PLA_EN__PRODUCT_GROUP_pla-417728538455&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI5PHazcjj6QIVEdbACh3u0QJuEAQYASABEgKQpvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds
Simple and only 150lbs, so not difficult to move if needed. Just need to talk to the neighbours and we are good.
Keter-Factor-4-x-6-ft-Shed.png

Both good looking sheds, although I prefer the CT version. Hell if the door was a tad wider it'd be a great motorcycle storage shed.

Back
Top Bottom