Armor or no Armor that is the question.. | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Armor or no Armor that is the question..

There is way too much anecdotal in this subject.
There is a way to settle the argument: Law suits.
If you were paid to operate a motorcycle for your job, your employer would have liability. Who pays someone to ride a motorcycle? POLICE do.
So if a cop was riding and got hurt, his employer would have be negligent, and liable, if they allowed the guy to ride without ADEQUATE protection.
What do motorcycle cops wear? No Dianese or Alpinestars, no "armor". They wear a helmet, gloves and a bullet proof vest... and usually shirt sleeves in summer (the gaiters are optional). helmet protects the head, gloves protect the hands, the vest protects the torso where the vital organs are. The important stuff is "protected", the stuff that ISN'T protected is probably not life threatening.
The police, and town comptrollers are REALLY averse to liability, but it seems a helmet, gloves and a bulletproof vest is enough protection to eliminate that liability... as proven in the courts of our land.
My brother the cop DID sue Toronto Police Services after his motorcycle collision and "safety" equipment was a popular topic at the trial.
If "armor" did actually have better statistical outcomes, it would be legislated like a helmet.

This video has made a real splash on Reddit (Ryan is a god over there) and it is pretty easy to see the divide line. Those with little or no experience in "crashing" are now not so much enamored with him.
I've had enough experience sliding down the road on my face and more that enough time sitting in a bone clinic in the hospital to know what he is saying is true.
...and not to open up another can of worms, but most police forces don't wear full face helmets...

That's slowly changing - some are going to modular now (I think the OPP ?).
I know some of the European forces have adopted modular helmets, but I believe OPP, Peel, Halton and Metropolitan Toronto all still wear open face. You will notice too that the gauntlet style gloves they wear don't have any protection other than a leather pad.

My AM/FM casstte tape player doesn't pick up that station.
I got one of these 5G antennas installed in place of a molar.

I get everything now.

1712149286367.png

• Haha
Reactions: TK4
I know some of the European forces have adopted modular helmets, but I believe OPP, Peel, Halton and Metropolitan Toronto all still wear open face. You will notice too that the gauntlet style gloves they wear don't have any protection other than a leather pad.
Sadly, this never caught on (13 years ago) -

1712150427897.png

Back on topic, a motorcycle YouTube channel I actually trust posted a rebuttal of the F9 video:

I haven't watched the first one, as I gave up on F9 ages ago as well-produced but sensationalist garbage. The YouTube need to come to some grand proclamation, followed by a pat conclusion, runs strong in them. And they're nowhere near as smart as they think they are, trying to apply their Grade 12 physics to PhD level problems.

Despite (or perhaps because of) their funding by an insurance company, the Bennett's videos are far superior to F9. The one they did before on riding jeans, tackling some of the more outlandish proclamations by the idiots at Motolegends (mostly that you should buy $600 pairs of jeans from them) was also excellent.

Police use open faced helmets because it is important to be able to see the officers face while talking to them. We, us humans, take a lot of cues from facial expression.

As above I would always be of the mind that some protection is better than none.

Police use open faced helmets because it is important to be able to see the officers face while talking to them. We, us humans, take a lot of cues from facial expression.
Sadly a lot of kids are growing up on screens and arn't properly learning to understand those facial expressions.

Sadly, this never caught on (13 years ago) -

View attachment 66966
Thinking about my own riding habits, it's kinda of weird, when I'm riding one of my Harley's I'm quite comfortable riding around in a T shirt, jeans and a beanie. When I get on one of my other bikes, I always put on a full face, leather jacket and boots.

As above I would always be of the mind that some protection is better than none.
Exactly.

From experience I'm certain that the pain I would have experienced in my elbow was mitigated by the armor during a minor tip over.

Armor isn't going to save anybody from a major crash with impact, but for minor incidents it certainly can't hurt.

As for youtube videos and Fortnine, they're pretty much the only ones I bother to watch as they're well produced, mostly funny and mercifully short. Unless I'm looking for a how-to instructional, I can always find better things to do (or watch) than some guy prattle on for 30 minutes espousing an opinion that really only took 5 to explain.

Last edited:
Back on topic, a motorcycle YouTube channel I actually trust posted a rebuttal of the F9 video:

I haven't watched the first one, as I gave up on F9 ages ago as well-produced but sensationalist garbage. The YouTube need to come to some grand proclamation, followed by a pat conclusion, runs strong in them. And they're nowhere near as smart as they think they are, trying to apply their Grade 12 physics to PhD level problems.

Despite (or perhaps because of) their funding by an insurance company, the Bennett's videos are far superior to F9. The one they did before on riding jeans, tackling some of the more outlandish proclamations by the idiots at Motolegends (mostly that you should buy $600 pairs of jeans from them) was also excellent.
The point of the F9 video is to sell airbags. There are links right in the video description, and he hawks them at the end of the video. He's not really misrepresenting anything about the impact/injury data, but he's intentionally presenting a very narrow view for a specific marketing purpose by excluding their known benefits for abrasion resistance. I dislike the sensationalist approach, but it has drawn a lot of eyes.

Thinking about my own riding habits, it's kinda of weird, when I'm riding one of my Harley's I'm quite comfortable riding around in a T shirt, jeans and a beanie. When I get on one of my other bikes, I always put on a full face, leather jacket and boots.
I think that's part of the whole fashion conformity conundrum. My neighbour sold his VFR800, bought a Harley and immediately adopted the costume. There's no rule that says you have to dress like a pirate to ride a Hog, and the pavement leaves the same kind of marks on your carcass no matter what you fall off of.

The point of the F9 video is to sell airbags. There are links right in the video description, and he hawks them at the end of the video. He's not really misrepresenting anything about the impact/injury data, but he's intentionally presenting a very narrow view for a specific marketing purpose by excluding their known benefits for abrasion resistance. I dislike the sensationalist approach, but it has drawn a lot of eyes.
Its clickbait, no more and no less. F9 sells a lot of armoured apparel too - are they going to stop because of anything Ryan says ?

Its clickbait, no more and no less. F9 sells a lot of armoured apparel too - are they going to stop because of anything Ryan says ?
Yes, it's clickbait, but not in the typically 'influencer' sense where the only purpose is to get fake internet points. There are links to conventional replacement armour pieces in the video description too. The specific airbag they're hawking is brand new, available in May. I see the entire thing as an advertisement.

Back
Top Bottom