Armor or no Armor that is the question.. | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Armor or no Armor that is the question..

I always thought this armour was designed to a spec that can absorb some level of impact - not the tiny amount discussed in this video.
That's the eye-opener for most people, and probably the main benefit of videos/conversations like this. Yes, any armour will help reduce the energy transmitted to your body, but the whole kinetic energy "velocity squared" thing means that road-going speeds routinely and vastly exceed any armour or helmet's ability to prevent injury if you hit an immovable object like a curb or pole.

Falling from about 1 meter means you're hitting the ground (vertically, independent of your horizontal speed) at about 16km/hr. That's the kind of ballpark impact speed that armour and helmets are effective at preventing injury. There are lots of variables, of course, like if the object isn't actually immovable, or if you can cushion your fall with some other flexible part of your body first.

Using made up numbers for a moment: if the energy required to break a certain bone is 250 units, which can be reached by hitting something immovable at 16km/hr, and some piece of armour is capable of reducing that energy to 125 units. Good stuff, no fracture. Double that speed to 32km/hr and we're now talking about 1000 units, which has completely blown past the ability of the armour to do much for you. 64km/hr and we're now dealing with 4000 energy units. Remember, the armour only reduces the energy by 125 units.

Even so, the takeaway for me isn't that armour is useless, it's that I need to do everything in my power to avoid collisions with immovable objects.

The video is a mashup of a few lines from a bunch of different studies. Individually those studies may or may not support the statements being made in the video.
That's thorough - and good info thank you

I can’t speak specifically about bike crashes as I’ve never had one.

I can tell you a lot about contact injuries, mainly because I’ve played and coached contact sports for decades.

A shin pad will absorb the energy of a puck travelling 100mph, toward your shin. If you slide into a goal post on a hockey net at 10mph, you will most likely break your leg.

Its all about risk and reward but if you have ever have the experience of sliding down the road and having the time to think damn that side is getting warm i better shift my weight elsewhere because your gear is doing its job the decision is easier.
How much experience does one need to perfect sliding down a road?

Maybe a good side hustle for @Evoex … Learning Slides.

It's amazing how quickly a slide will go thru leather. 6 inches of a forearm and part of the opposite shoulder from a dainese suit. Calabogie turn one. If it wasn't for the armor, i would have scars for sure.

There is way too much anecdotal in this subject.
There is a way to settle the argument: Law suits.
If you were paid to operate a motorcycle for your job, your employer would have liability. Who pays someone to ride a motorcycle? POLICE do.
So if a cop was riding and got hurt, his employer would have be negligent, and liable, if they allowed the guy to ride without ADEQUATE protection.
What do motorcycle cops wear? No Dianese or Alpinestars, no "armor". They wear a helmet, gloves and a bullet proof vest... and usually shirt sleeves in summer (the gaiters are optional). helmet protects the head, gloves protect the hands, the vest protects the torso where the vital organs are. The important stuff is "protected", the stuff that ISN'T protected is probably not life threatening.
The police, and town comptrollers are REALLY averse to liability, but it seems a helmet, gloves and a bulletproof vest is enough protection to eliminate that liability... as proven in the courts of our land.
My brother the cop DID sue Toronto Police Services after his motorcycle collision and "safety" equipment was a popular topic at the trial.
If "armor" did actually have better statistical outcomes, it would be legislated like a helmet.

This video has made a real splash on Reddit (Ryan is a god over there) and it is pretty easy to see the divide line. Those with little or no experience in "crashing" are now not so much enamored with him.
I've had enough experience sliding down the road on my face and more that enough time sitting in a bone clinic in the hospital to know what he is saying is true.

It's amazing how quickly a slide will go thru leather. 6 inches of a forearm and part of the opposite shoulder from a dainese suit. Calabogie turn one. If it wasn't for the armor, i would have scars for sure.
Just your luck meeting some of the more abrasive road surfaces out there.

What he's saying in that video is not right. It's about $600 for the physical airbag, but then you choose the subscription OR you can pay a one-time fee of $500 to permanently enable the device with no ongoing subscription fees. Not both. GP Bike's site has the details: Klim AI-1 Airbag Vest

$1100 for the non-subscription route is in the same ballpark as the Dainese and Alpinestars offerings.

Personally, I don't think I will ever own a subscription device of any kind. Hell, I still listen to music on MP3s that I ripped from physical CDs 20 years ago. None of your fancy Spotify crap. Although to be honest, a subscription or lease arrangement might not be a bad idea for technology like this, where you know the software is going to be greatly evolved in the next 3 years.

What he's saying in that video is not right. It's about $600 for the physical airbag, but then you choose the subscription OR you can pay a one-time fee of $500 to permanently enable the device with no ongoing subscription fees. Not both. GP Bike's site has the details: Klim AI-1 Airbag Vest

$1100 for the non-subscription route is in the same ballpark as the Dainese and Alpinestars offerings.

Personally, I don't think I will ever own a subscription device of any kind. Hell, I still listen to music on MP3s that I ripped from physical CDs 20 years ago. None of your fancy Spotify crap. Although to be honest, a subscription or lease arrangement might not be a bad idea for technology like this, where you know the software is going to be greatly evolved in the next 3 years.
You can listen to Spotify for free...

We're all revealing our respective ages here.
Douglas Adams said:
1. Anything that is in the world when you’re born is normal and ordinary and is just a natural part of the way the world works.
2. Anything that's invented between when you’re fifteen and thirty-five is new and exciting and revolutionary and you can probably get a career in it.
3. Anything invented after you're thirty-five is against the natural order of things.

Adams also described a spaceship as "floating in the sky the way a brick doesn't"

Reactions: Ash

Back
Top Bottom