Are Supersports Over? | Page 5 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Are Supersports Over?

Tuono is really a superbike with raised bars, not really a true standard/naked if you ask me.

You`re however correct, for the most part you'll need to swap a suspension in. But brakes? For the street? Ehhh..

I agree on the Tuono, with that said a Ducati Streetfighter and a couple other nakeds aren’t much better. A lot of people assume just cause a bike has a handlebar and not clip ones it’s automatically more comfortable. My point was that’s not always true.

Dont need the power of a better brake set up on the street but the feel is a lot better and I find that enjoyable. Again not something I need but it is something I want.

There's alot of back and forth here about why some prefer them and some don't. Everyone will have different preferences. Now the majority of us can agree that Insurance is the primary factor in SS decline in ON can't we? If it were lower we would probably see a larger amount of SS starting to show up, despite all the reasons people don't prefer them on here.

There's alot of back and forth here about why some prefer them and some don't. Everyone will have different preferences. Now the majority of us can agree that Insurance is the primary factor in SS decline in ON can't we? If it were lower we would probably see a larger amount of SS starting to show up, despite all the reasons people don't prefer them on here.

Yeah, but in reality its the cop out answer (even if i said it myself previously). Make anything cheap enough to own and people will snap it up.

Yes, there is a lot of back and forth but I 100% believe that Insurance is the primary factor for the decline in SS bikes in Ontario. There's a cultural shift too without a doubt but I've lost count of how many buddies of mine have wanted to get into the sport with a SS and once they found out what insurance was, said no thanks.

Huge difference between an ST1300/FJR1300/C14 vs a Versys or Vstrom. One is sport touring, the other is adventure touring. Different riding positions. That said, the problem was you. Both the Versys and the Vstrom are excellent handing bikes on the street even in excess of the posted speed limit. Give either one a little more saddle time (it's a big adjustment switching from an SS to an ADV bike) and you'd find they handle very well be much more comfortable too!

I rode a cruiser for years but when I switch back to one now, they feel completely alien to me for the first 10min or so. Then I start to adjust back to that style of bike and what initially felt clunky and strange starts to feel familiar and more nimble and it surprises me what I can actually do on one. It's just a matter of adjusting to the bike.
I have both, a Vstrom and an FJR, I can't where a 600SS fits in anymore. They're not outrunning the big STs anywhere but the track, and the 650 ADV bikes are good enough in the hands of a skilled rider hang with most 600SS riders on the street.

I think the big challenge with 600SS is they appeal to buyers that are less rider than the bike they own.

I think the big challenge with 600SS is they appeal to buyers that are less rider than the bike they own.

Yea, I definitely see that. Sure they look/sound cool but they are quite capable machines and in the wrong hands will kill you pretty damn quick. Here's my super practical and feasible solution: bring back the inline 4 250cc 20k rpm redline bikes :D

[video=youtube;FJ8R4tYbX5w]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJ8R4tYbX5w[/video]

I'm with you - I'm casually looking for a FZR or ZXR 250 for my stable. Nothing like humbling a 600SS on a 250!

You might argue that a SS power output is not as usable in urban riding but lawdy when it hits 18k RPM I transcend to another dimension.

Yeah, it's really not and that's half my problem with them. Can rev to 18k but until you hit 9 (r6 right?) it's pretty lackluster. On my FZ09 i'd be long gone. :cool:

I'm sure half of it is the noise though. Rode a buddies '12 R6 and i'd wind it way out just to listen to the howl, was fun. But lord it's a freakin torture rack.

Yeah, it's really not and that's half my problem with them. Can rev to 18k but until you hit 9 (r6 right?) it's pretty lackluster. On my FZ09 i'd be long gone. :cool:

I'm sure half of it is the noise though. Rode a buddies '12 R6 and i'd wind it way out just to listen to the howl, was fun. But lord it's a freakin torture rack.

There's things you can do to help them out down low (for instance on the R6, you can do a snorkel delete and ECU flash to get rid of throttle restrictions at low RPM. "Fun fact" but Yamaha restricts throttle to 60% no matter how much you twist when bike is under 9k rpm). Truth be told however, bottom end sucks compared to an MT and I do think an MT is more usable and practical. But we don't always buy the most practical things sometimes ;)

Buy a SS for the track (shameless plug for our trackdays, I know, I know...) and a different style for the street. Decisions, decisions...

I am new to whole motorcycle world, still getting my feet wet. I just like cruising around. I am curious what is the definition of a super sport? My thought, it was a 1000cc engine (or close to it) crotch rocket, but possibly more to it. Are some lower CC (650 etc) bikes also super sports?

I am new to whole motorcycle world, still getting my feet wet. I just like cruising around. I am curious what is the definition of a super sport? My thought, it was a 1000cc engine (or close to it) crotch rocket, but possibly more to it. Are some lower CC (650 etc) bikes also super sports?

Theoretically it's all Race Replica bikes 600-1000cc. Most break it down as:

600cc - super sport
1000cc - super bike

Theoretically it's all Race Replica bikes 600-1000cc. Most break it down as:

600cc - super sport
1000cc - super bike

Thanks, are there more differences between super sport and sport bike besides cc's?

Thanks, are there more differences between super sport and sport bike besides cc's?
They're tuned very differently. SS are tuned to be active mostly in the higher RPM range. Some in the mid. But at low RPMs they're super tame. Unlike sport tourers or street bikes that are torque monsters at lower rpm.

I want the SS to continue and be available in the marketplace.

Only so “lessor” bikes don’t become the next target of unaffordable insurance rates.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I want the SS to continue and be available in the marketplace.

Only so “lessor” bikes don’t become the next target of unaffordable insurance rates.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Given the current situation witH SSs and insurance in the GTA, I'm guessing same thing would happen with STs or street bikes in the near future.

All the young and novice riders who want SSs, are now going for STs. Claims would include more of these bikes going forward and will become the target just like SSs did. Sad that the entire industry is on a decline

Given the current situation witH SSs and insurance in the GTA, I'm guessing same thing would happen with STs or street bikes in the near future.

All the young and novice riders who want SSs, are now going for STs. Claims would include more of these bikes going forward and will become the target just like SSs did. Sad that the entire industry is on a decline

For the rest of North America there are young and novice riders doing the same but the rates in those areas are no where as absurd, why's it different for Ontario? This is the real question we need to be asking..

I dont agree that insurance is the primary factor, if that was the case anyone over 35 would be riding a SS/SBK, its probably the primary factor of 20 year old's not owning those bikes, but then again most of them probably shouldn't.

I started riding when insurance was still affordable and only spent one season on a SS because I thought it was the coolest thing ever, after that first season I realized they are not practical for the street. I still own a ZX6R and s1000RR that I use for track days and racing but will never buy one for street riding.

Maybe im just getting old but how can you use 150-200hp on the street on a ss..the roads are full of cagers that have no clue how to drive and should be taking the buss..speeding tickets can be gotten in 1st gear...the riding position is uncomfortable. These bike like to be ridden fast...on a track where they belong not tearing through the streets at hyper speed...now i do own a R6 but it is for the track only...i don't ride like a fool on the street even though my ST bike has 150hp. That kind of power works great making riding through the mountains a breeze...buy what u want but dont complain when the ins co takes u to the cleaners.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom