Are Supersports Over? | Page 4 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Are Supersports Over?

I just moved everything out of TD , cars , house, bikes. They had a killer introductory price two yrs ago, renewal comes around and its up $2000. overall for the 'package' . Cited previous discounts are no longer available. Bye bye.

There is a lid for every pot.
May I ask where you're moving to?

That's what I'm saying, they don't differentiate between supersports and "regular" sport bikes. At least they didn't when I was getting quotes.

They do...part of why I opted for the CBR650F vs the CBR600RRA. When I got quotes originally it was 1200/year for the 650F and $1800/year for the 600RRA.

That said, when shopping around I need to keep reminding them mine is a classified a sports tourer and not a SS. As soon as they hear CBR6... they think supersport.

They do...part of why I opted for the CBR650F vs the CBR600RRA. When I got quotes originally it was 1200/year for the 650F and $1800/year for the 600RRA.

That said, when shopping around I need to keep reminding them mine is a classified a sports tourer and not a SS. As soon as they hear CBR6... they think supersport.

They certainly do, but R is a trigger for higher rates. If you say RR forget it.

I never understood buying an SS bike for the street. I'm someone who tends to like to use the right tool for the job. Riding an SS bike on the street is like trying to pound nails with an adjustable wrench. You can do it, but there are other tools much better suited to the task. That's why I have an ST1300. I like to take LONG rides in COMFORT but still want something that handles well, which is exactly what the ST does best. If I were looking to just take day rides through the twisties I'd probably have a Z900. If I were commuting and riding in the city I'd probably have a CB500F or the new Z400. If I were interested in riding mostly on the track I'd own an SS bike. If I were interested in parking at Timmie's and hunting cougars I'd probably have a Softail Special. ;)

I never understood buying an SS bike for the street. I'm someone who tends to like to use the right tool for the job. Riding an SS bike on the street is like trying to pound nails with an adjustable wrench. You can do it, but there are other tools much better suited to the task. That's why I have an ST1300. I like to take LONG rides in COMFORT but still want something that handles well, which is exactly what the ST does best. If I were looking to just take day rides through the twisties I'd probably have a Z900. If I were commuting and riding in the city I'd probably have a CB500F or the new Z400. If I were interested in riding mostly on the track I'd own an SS bike. If I were interested in parking at Timmie's and hunting cougars I'd probably have a Softail Special. ;)
Sat on one, or an equivalent bike (think it was the versys) and could not get over the feel. It just feels wrong. When I rode my friends vstrom, corners were terrible because of how off everything felt.

Sat on one, or an equivalent bike (think it was the versys) and could not get over the feel. It just feels wrong. When I rode my friends vstrom, corners were terrible because of how off everything felt.

Huge difference between an ST1300/FJR1300/C14 vs a Versys or Vstrom. One is sport touring, the other is adventure touring. Different riding positions. That said, the problem was you. Both the Versys and the Vstrom are excellent handing bikes on the street even in excess of the posted speed limit. Give either one a little more saddle time (it's a big adjustment switching from an SS to an ADV bike) and you'd find they handle very well be much more comfortable too!

I rode a cruiser for years but when I switch back to one now, they feel completely alien to me for the first 10min or so. Then I start to adjust back to that style of bike and what initially felt clunky and strange starts to feel familiar and more nimble and it surprises me what I can actually do on one. It's just a matter of adjusting to the bike.

Because they are cool, people want to ride cool bikes before they kick the bucket.

Look around, how many people are rolling in Denali SUVs/pickup trucks with a family of 2 or 3 and never haul anything more then a few bags of groceries. Common sense isn't a factor for a lot of luxury items.

I understand what you mean. Some bikes are just "too upright". I personally love the riding position of a SS, GSXR in particular because the seat seems to be a tad lower to the ground and the rear sets are not raised up to high (unlike my ZX6R). The only part of my body that seems to hurt after riding 2+hrs is my arse...the darn seat is like sitting on concrete. Maybe after a couple years riding a SS my body will tell me it's time to move on, but atm I'm in love.
The Triumph Street Triple on the other hand is the perfect balance between being hunched over and upright and has a beautiful power curve (2019 765cc's haul azz). Rode my uncles FZ09 and it just didn't feel right, maybe because I am so used to the SS riding position.
I visited my cousin last year in Calgary and SS bikes seemed to have flooded the streets (7/10 bikes I saw were SS). 35 minute ride to mountain twisties, cops don't hassle, and insurance is cheap. If it cost us $600-$800/yr for a SS and we had more twisties available, I think we would see alot more SS bikes in the GTA.

Last edited:
I understand what you mean. Some bikes are just "too upright".

Yep, i think this boils down to personal preference. I've been riding for 10+ years, and most of my bikes were upright. But once I hopped on a SS, I don't want to go back to upright seating, not until my body gives. I would love to own two or more bikes with different seating styles but no bueno in the GTA.

Last edited:
I never understood buying an SS bike for the street.

Because they are fun, sound amazing and performance is fantastic.
Perhaps more importantly, they put a smile on my face when I look at it and take it out for a rip. I'm not sure I agree with your tool analogy; I don't see a motorcycle as a tool but rather as a toy. The only thing it has to do well is make me happy; something a SS excels at for ME.

Perhaps reminding yourself why some people ride will help you understand why some people choose to buy a SS for the street. :D

Because they are fun, sound amazing and performance is fantastic.
Perhaps more importantly, they put a smile on my face when I look at it and take it out for a rip. I'm not sure I agree with your tool analogy; I don't see a motorcycle as a tool but rather as a toy. The only thing it has to do well is make me happy; something a SS excels at for ME.

Perhaps reminding yourself why some people ride will help you understand why some people choose to buy a SS for the street. :D
I agree with the toy analogy. You can't use a supercar to anywhere near it's potential on the street but I don't know many people that wouldn't want one.

Sent from my ZTE B2017G using GTAMotorcycle.com mobile app

Insurance costs are still okay for me ($80/m for a RSV1000R, not sure how much a 2019 GSXR1000RR will cost though lol)

I think SS bikes kinda died because you can't start on them anymore. We don't have a Statefarm anymore that made the ridiculously obtuse mistake of charging by CC brackets based on # of years driven (iirc, I paid $1750 at 25 for a GSXR750 with 3 years of riding experience, another buddy paid the same....with 0 years of riding experience.)

Back when I used to visit KC and LnL, most of the guys in SS bikes were my age or a little older. There were very few mid 30 to 50 year olds on SS bikes.

I never understood buying an SS bike for the street.

Honestly....I agree with you now. I bought one at 25 because I envied the sheer power and speed. The more I learned how to ride, the less I wanted to ride an SS on the road.

But less than 1% of vehicles in Canada, probably North America, will come remotely close to the performance of a supersports or superbike. And amongst that 1%, guess how many are actually competent at both the theoretical and applied knowledge of handling said performance?

After all the training I've done, it'd be a ****ing awful shame if I'm not riding a SS on the street to let everyone else know how huge my penis is....unless I happen to be riding next to someone that actually knows how to ride, then I'll be humble!

This sport is quite egotistical, might as well give into it and set an example for others to envy and want to replicate...so go pop wheelies behind school busses and get the kids cheering!

Last edited:
I understood riding an SS on the street a lot more back when I started riding. Back then if you wanted performance you didn't have many options other than to buy an SS bike. Honda's VTR was one of the few really competent sporty non-SS bikes out there. What else were you going to ride, a Katana? The chassis on that thing was made of wet noodles! But nowadays you have really great naked or half faired semi-sport bikes or street sport bikes that give you amazing performance without crunching yourself into the fetal position to get it. Kawi's Z900, Yamaha's FZ09 and now the FZ10, Suzuki's GSX-S750/1000, Honda's CBR650R/F and that's not even looking at the European options like the Street triple. The amount of performance AND comfort that can be found in ONE bike these days is truly amazing.

Can you elaborate on this performance metric?

Quality suspension components, chassis design, engine power output, brakes are all areas where a SS will outshine other class bikes. You might argue that a SS power output is not as usable in urban riding but lawdy when it hits 18k RPM I transcend to another dimension.
Comfort, practicality, usability(?) are all areas where a SS suffers without a doubt. In fact, I'll be picking up an MT09 by the end of this season. I'm going to be at the track every other week and I am not swapping bodywork everytime this year too. If I'm going to have a second bike, I am definitely not going to be picking up the same class. Where's the fun in that? :D

I understood riding an SS on the street a lot more back when I started riding(...)

Definitely agree with you; the modern motorcycle market is stocked full of goodies. But sometimes people just want to get an SS for the looks, or the sound, or to look like their favorite racer. Either way, who are we to judge how someone enjoys this hobby?

A lot of those naked’s are built to a price point though and while they have good performing engines some of the components like suspension and brakes aren’t anywhere near what comes on a SS. Do I need the higher end stuff ? Probably not. Do I want it on what’s going to be a toy? Absolutely.

I did have a 2014 Tuono and it was an awesome bike but it was barely more comfortable then any of my previous SS bikes.

A lot of those naked’s are built to a price point though and while they have good performing engines some of the components like suspension and brakes aren’t anywhere near what comes on a SS. Do I need the higher end stuff ? Probably not. Do I want it on what’s going to be a toy? Absolutely.

I did have a 2014 Tuono and it was an awesome bike but it was barely more comfortable then any of my previous SS bikes.

Tuono is really a superbike with raised bars, not really a true standard/naked if you ask me.

You`re however correct, for the most part you'll need to swap a suspension in. But brakes? For the street? Ehhh..

Quality suspension components, chassis design, engine power output, brakes are all areas where a SS will outshine other class bikes. You might argue that a SS power output is not as usable in urban riding but lawdy when it hits 18k RPM I transcend to another dimension.
Comfort, practicality, usability(?) are all areas where a SS suffers without a doubt. In fact, I'll be picking up an MT09 by the end of this season. I'm going to be at the track every other week and I am not swapping bodywork everytime this year too. If I'm going to have a second bike, I am definitely not going to be picking up the same class. Where's the fun in that? :D

Definitely agree with you; the modern motorcycle market is stocked full of goodies. But sometimes people just want to get an SS for the looks, or the sound, or to look like their favorite racer. Either way, who are we to judge how someone enjoys this hobby?

Awesomesauce, another fz09 owner. Enjoy keeping the front end down.:D

agree 100%
I have 2 friends that ride Wees
I get the reliability and how they are kinda good for everything
but I find that bike to be about as inspiring as a lawn tractor

Back
Top Bottom