Anyone into Photography? | Page 5 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Anyone into Photography?

The Amazon warehouse deals store has been pretty good for photo bits and pieces recently. I picked up a Sirui 5C CF traveller tripod that’s under 2lb and packs down small enough for a motorcycle pannier for a pretty good price. It was supposed to not come in original packaging and be “used very good” but it looks new and is packaged as the original.

I have other tripods but this is the lightest/smallest one that has acceptable stability. It will come on holiday with me too since it doesn’t take up too much luggage allowance weight.

The Amazon warehouse deals store has been pretty good for photo bits and pieces recently. I picked up a Sirui 5C CF traveller tripod that’s under 2lb and packs down small enough for a motorcycle pannier for a pretty good price. It was supposed to not come in original packaging and be “used very good” but it looks new and is packaged as the original.

I have other tripods but this is the lightest/smallest one that has acceptable stability. It will come on holiday with me too since it doesn’t take up too much luggage allowance weight.
A while back I snagged some cheap studio lighting through amazon. LED "hot lights" with softboxes and a fairly large LED ring light. I've been slowly trying to figure out how to turn my living room into a portrait studio. Also got a couple of 12' long, max 8' high backdrop stands and 3 black backdrops, so I can build a light control box. Goes up and comes down in about an hour.

More video than photo (although it can be used for pano shots or timelapse). Picked up a Ronin SC gimbal stabilizer to play with. Interesting toy but not something I need in my life. Designed for mirrorless cameras (payload up to 2Kg) but you can make the motion work with a phone (but looks like you need to trigger the shutter with something other than the gimbal). Anybody want to buy a gimbal for a good price?

I need to fire up my M4/3 camera. I love it but after a few trips I think some sand got in.

Recommendations / tips / resources for cleaning it out?

What’s a gimbal?

I need to fire up my M4/3 camera. I love it but after a few trips I think some sand got in.

What’s a gimbal?
Got some sand in where? Location of sand greatly changes the path. I have completely taken apart a lens before to replace an aperture. Highly do not recommend. Giant pain in the ass and lots of parts have calibrated registration (which I have no documentation or test jigs for so I need to install exactly as removed).

434155_2.jpg

What’s a gimbal?
If it's in the sensor compartment then folks swear by the Arctic Butterfly.

You might want to try a simple blower, first. Olympus cameras have a strip of adhesive below the sensor that is meant to trap a small amount of dirt, when it's knocked loose by the start-up sensor cleaning function.

Got some sand in where? Location of sand greatly changes the path. I have completely taken apart a lens before to replace an aperture. Highly do not recommend. Giant pain in the ass and lots of parts have calibrated registration (which I have no documentation or test jigs for so I need to install exactly as removed).

434155_2.jpg
Pity I'm not into video and it's a bit under-specced for using with a tricked-out Blackmagic Pocket Cinema, which would be the most common mirrorless movie camera. Fine for a u4/3 photo rig that's being used as a movie caera though.

Pity I'm not into video and it's a bit under-specced for using with a tricked-out Blackmagic Pocket Cinema, which would be the most common mirrorless movie camera. Fine for a u4/3 photo rig that's being used as a movie caera though.
Ya, not sure if I would have any use for such an item as I am only doing photos.

I've got the Olympus EPL-1 with a handful of lenses. For my needs...it works great and takes nice photos.

Ya, not sure if I would have any use for such an item as I am only doing photos.

I've got the Olympus EPL-1 with a handful of lenses. For my needs...it works great and takes nice photos.
It would be great if you ever thought to do any video like remote podcasting or try your hand at indie film making. Doing a walk-through on a trade show like the bike show, for example, would make it very useful. It would easily handle the E-PL1 and a prime lens, or even a smaller zoom. Its function is to hold the camera at a set angle, regardless of movement of the handle.

It would be great if you ever thought to do any video like remote podcasting or try your hand at indie film making. Doing a walk-through on a trade show like the bike show, for example, would make it very useful. It would easily handle the E-PL1 and a prime lens, or even a smaller zoom. Its function is to hold the camera at a set angle, regardless of movement of the handle.

Ugh...I'm already trying not to burn money right now! There's a few watches @Priller posted that I'm itching for but thankfully can't justify.

Want to trade it for a gimbal?
Ha! Thanks for the offer, but will have to respectfully decline.

I've had a few trade offers for the watch so far, including another watch with so much lume it literally had lume on the sides of the case. The whole point of selling is to avoid the accumulation of 'I might use that one day' crap that I can sometimes be guilty of. My son has adopted/absconded with our DSLR (very basic Nikon D3400), so having a gimbal for a Google Pixel phone might be overkill...

Nice - that lens has tremendous reach allowing shots from crazy distances. 800 mm equivalent reach.
This was 500 meters +/- and the naked eye could only determine there was a nest there ....the boat driver refused to stop the next day when we went by again. I asked why
"well no one had a big lens" ....I showed him this pic I'd taken the day before on the view finder.... He'll be less judgemental in the future.

3chicks Jabiru nest.jpg

Much easier to carry the MFT version and the boat driver was looking for the bazooka on the right.
1712968234812.png

No fish so far but crazy good sloth shot (y)
It IS luck but unless the camera is in hand there is no shot at all. That's where the smaller size of the MFT wins big especially on a motorcycle...The camera and lens ( Gx1 and 45-175 lens weighs under 2lb with 350mm reach.

Last edited:
Always hard to get away from light pollution in a humid environment. Really need a dry and cold desert but you seem to have a very nice sky watching spot.
Track the space station ....you've got a good chance for a photo with the 100/400
With the 800 mm equiv you should be able to get a good look and you've got excellent stabilization.
1713061895468.png
I could just see the square shape in my 8 x binocs so your lens will do a good job if you can track it handheld.
Best time is near sunset or sunrise while the station is fully illuminated.....looks like the biggest fastest jet airplane - the closer to the sunset it is ( or sunrise I guess - have only seen at sunset) it will turn just brilliant...unmistakeable and really moving along.
Interesting fact: “The space station can appear as bright as the planet Venus, at magnitude -4.5, and some 16 times brighter than Sirius, the brightest star in the night sky
It really motors so you need your gear ready if you have a chance to see it.

Last edited:
I had a photo holyfuck moment last week. Don’t know squat about photography, my iPhone seems to take good pictures.

Got a new marketing coordinator, he doing some catalog shots for our new website. Asked for a light box, so I look at the jungle website and see they are 30-50 bucks, OK.

See the bill, $3700! Am I missing something?

I had a photo holyfuck moment last week. Don’t know squat about photography, my iPhone seems to take good pictures.

Got a new marketing coordinator, he doing some catalog shots for our new website. Asked for a light box, so I look at the jungle website and see they are 30-50 bucks, OK.

See the bill, $3700! Am I missing something?
Like everything else, quality and size. I suspect for 3700 lights are included.

Back
Top Bottom