Anyone into Photography? | Page 6 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Anyone into Photography?

Like everything else, quality and size. I suspect for 3700 lights are included.
I bought a LED light ten through an IndieGoGo campaign, a few years back for.... well let's just say considerably less than that.

My refurbished Epson printer arrived. Set up took a while but was painless. The first few prints seem very decent but I really need to get to grips with post processing and also printer profile settings. Bit of a steep learning curve. I’m very happy with the output so far though although I’ve only used letter sized high gloss. I have some large format matt paper that I really want to use eventually.

Then there is a whole world of paper types to explore. Some that mimic canvas I particularly like
as well as those with a silver layer.

The metallic ones look great for things like planes or cars. The fine art papers are lovely. I got 25 sheets of 19x13 of ultra premium matte presentation paper which is just below the fine art stuff. The thing with this is that one photo can look remarkably different on different papers. It’s a whole new level of tasks to think about and it’s actually more enjoyable experimenting with things than I thought it would be.

The trick is getting the stuff on sale as it can be pricey.

Edit: Also to bear in mind, one high gloss paper from one company will give different results to another. There are printer profiles for each type and brand of paper and for a given printer and it’s important to use these. If they aren’t available for your printer then you’re taking an expensive gamble.

The metallic ones look great for things like planes or cars. The fine art papers are lovely. I got 25 sheets of 19x13 of ultra premium matte presentation paper which is just below the fine art stuff. The thing with this is that one photo can look remarkably different on different papers. It’s a whole new level of tasks to think about and it’s actually more enjoyable experimenting with things than I thought it would be.

The trick is getting the stuff on sale as it can be pricey.

Edit: Also to bear in mind, one high gloss paper from one company will give different results to another. There are printer profiles for each type and brand of paper and for a given printer and it’s important to use these. If they aren’t available for your printer then you’re taking an expensive gamble.
Very true. Epson matte or gloss paper was a pretty easy setup on my old wide format photo printer but when I went to fine art matte paper I could virtually empty my cartridges, on just a couple of 13"x19" prints. That stuff soaks up ink like nobody's business, if you want to get the same sort of vibrancy in prints.

Very true. Epson matte or gloss paper was a pretty easy setup on my old wide format photo printer but when I went to fine art matte paper I could virtually empty my cartridges, on just a couple of 13"x19" prints. That stuff soaks up ink like nobody's business, if you want to get the same sort of vibrancy in prints.

The eco-tank printer I have seems to be ok with ink usage and it’s not exorbitantly priced either. You’re probably right about the matte paper soaking it up though. It seems quite textured but I like that. Thing is, the glossy prints aren’t really doing much for me, I think I prefer the matte or luster/semi-gloss finish. They look so much classier.

My problem is that I have a bit of a distrust with the post-processing as I’m still learning in terms of what looks like a realistic subtle adjustment vs one that’s changed so much that the photo doesn’t feel like mine anymore.

Of course you have to consider anti-glare glass......BillCat-1.jpg
Then of course then there is lighting the pic on the wall......
I suppose you could get a little side hustle going offering your better "trial runs" on line. Pay for the supplies. ;)

Really like the rendition of my HDR photos on a Retina or HDR10 screen. I can tweak to my hearts content with no cost. :D

Amazon warehouse has some upper end photo paper listed as “used very good” which is a bit mystifying. I’m hoping it’s just a slightly damaged or aged box so I ordered some. The stuff is usually packaged really well. Next I have to find some inexpensive but good looking frames. I don’t really want plexiglass/plastic frames.

Amazon warehouse has some upper end photo paper listed as “used very good” which is a bit mystifying. I’m hoping it’s just a slightly damaged or aged box so I ordered some. The stuff is usually packaged really well. Next I have to find some inexpensive but good looking frames. I don’t really want plexiglass/plastic frames.
The Amazon stuff is probably returns.

I wouldn't exactly call them inexpensive, but Michael's has some really good frames. With a little gaming of the system you can get the individual cost down my 30-50%. Buy something small and then come back later, and use the discount on your last receipt to significantly reduce the cost. I still have maybe a half dozen shadowbox style frames, for 13"x19" I bought that way, some years ago.

You can check staples for paper. It all comes from the same place so even the staples brand stuff will be good.

Frame pricing is all over the place, you have to do a bit of work.
But last time I was in a good will, one of those places you donate stuff, you can find lots of frames. That depends what you are looking for.

You can check staples for paper. It all comes from the same place so even the staples brand stuff will be good.

Frame pricing is all over the place, you have to do a bit of work.
But last time I was in a good will, one of those places you donate stuff, you can find lots of frames. That depends what you are looking for.
I always had pretty good luck with both Staples matte and gloss photo papers.

Depending on your preferred style, scrap hardwood furniture and a little time and glass can become frames pretty cheaply.

I want good mats too as I like the look of a good matted photo or picture. A lot simpler to just get a ready made (and correctly sized) frame. I want them all to look the same too.
You are in for quite the project.
I get what you are saying, even though there isn't much to mattes, the clean cuts with those little bevel edges do give it a nicer finished look.

Back
Top Bottom