Anyone into gardening here? | Page 7 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Anyone into gardening here?

Ditto. I've got about 80-90sq.ft. of front yard that isn't concrete or gravel. After a few lacklustre attempts at tomatoes(yum but sparse) I'm not in the mood this year. What can I throw into the ground and forgetaboutit?
Garlic?
I once planted garlic & couldn't get rid of it. It was like weeds lol

Garlic?
I once planted garlic & couldn't get rid of it. It was like weeds lol

best to plant in october, and pull at the end of august.

did you grow from seed or did you use a bulb?

Vague question, planted a bush that looks similar to a burning bush to replace one that was lost in the icestorm 2yrs ago. It has grown sightly (about 20" high now) but doesn't seem to grow much at all. Gets about half-day sun. Has a hosta about 2ft away on either side that grow great. Any ideas to get it moving?

Lawn is overrun by thistle and there's no keeping on top of that evil ****. Can't afford to remove/re-sod lawn. Still figuring out what to do.
Weeds are often indicator species of soil conditions or lawn problems. PM me with your email address if you want me to send a document I put together on different weeds and their control.
There are a few ways to handle the thistle:
Dig up your lawn, remove the thistle roots and reseed.
Using a dandelion digger dig out each thistle as best you can and then overseed the bare areas. Most thistles will start to regrow, so when it does, just keep pulling the new growth off. This will starve the roots until they can not regenerate any more. Thistle also spread by seeds so those dormant seeds can still germinate in the future, which can be prevented be having as thick and healthy a lawn in the first place, which will both shade and out compete the emerging weeds. Corn gluten is a natural product often used as a seed germination inhibitor for emerging weeds.

Shane sent me his list of lawn pests and I think there is a different one for every blade of grass in my lawn....Lawns are actually stupid wastes of water and space. (Unless you raise cattle)
The way most lawns are taken care of - you're right. I take care of a few lawns and I do minimal work on them each year. I hard rake the lawn and topdress it each year, overseed it in spring and fall, and leave the clippings when I mow it. When I took these over they were synthetically fed, had poor soil and a good number of weeds. Now they look great.

Vague question, planted a bush that looks similar to a burning bush to replace one that was lost in the icestorm 2yrs ago. It has grown sightly (about 20" high now) but doesn't seem to grow much at all. Gets about half-day sun. Has a hosta about 2ft away on either side that grow great. Any ideas to get it moving?
Post a pic of the bush you bought and the area around it- that will help us help you.

The way most lawns are taken care of - you're right. I take care of a few lawns and I do minimal work on them each year. I hard rake the lawn and topdress it each year, overseed it in spring and fall, and leave the clippings when I mow it. When I took these over they were synthetically fed, had poor soil and a good number of weeds. Now they look great..

What i have trouble with is patience when we bought our house the back yard was terrible we had not choice but to digg out and re-seed. This year it came back great and if we were not so dry our over-seading would have been effective and we would have been in better shape now but its not bad...Its often a multi year process to get a lawn to the point were it is realy resistant to weeds and I hate to wait..

A couple of sod tips.

There's free sod posted on Craig's list on a regular basis but if it's been sitting for days you're just getting free dead grass.

Sod is cheaper if you buy directly from the sod farms but it isn't light, about 25 pounds a roll IIRC. Don't expect to pick up a hundred rolls in your Civic.

Picked up a couple Hostas today. Is it just me or do you want to buy every plant in the place? I could see that getting very addictive.

Picked up a couple Hostas today. Is it just me or do you want to buy every plant in the place? I could see that getting very addictive.

Be careful with those. I wouldn't want them to die of the Austrian plant flu. Otherwise it's hostas la vista, baby.

Be careful with those. I wouldn't want them to die of the Austrian plant flu. Otherwise it's hostas la vista, baby.

I'm going to think off a comeback and then I'll be back.

I brought home topsoil.
P5310002_zpsneztgaqm.jpg

[video]https://www.facebook.com/SOVTG/videos/1498949670329981/[/video]

e60c1e026ebfe4bd43d2c6aebe7afbe3.jpg
Pops came over yesterday.

Last edited:
^^What veggies got planted there?
Anyone ever grown kohlrabi before? It seems like a good choice for a semi shady spot. I've never eaten it before, but read that it's kinda sweet and really nutritious. I just reworked the whole backyard gardens, installed a flagstone pathway and tomorrow is planting day!

^^^ the usual stuff: Tomatoes, lettuce, beans, peppers, cucumbers, zucchinis, parsley and oregano.

Back
Top Bottom