Anyone into gardening here? | Page 23 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Anyone into gardening here?

Try using some capsicum powder. Most of these smaller animals will get it on their paws or sniff their way around and pretty soon they will not like it. Of course it will wash away, so you might have to reapply it a few times, but the idea is to get the plants mature enough so that the animals leave them alone. You could also make a liquid solution from the pepper and spray it on the plants and entry points to the yard which might help. When I lived downtown, raccoons were a big problem with my plants so I used the capsicum a few times and they never came back.

Try using some capsicum powder. Most of these smaller animals will get it on their paws or sniff their way around and pretty soon they will not like it. Of course it will wash away, so you might have to reapply it a few times, but the idea is to get the plants mature enough so that the animals leave them alone. You could also make a liquid solution from the pepper and spray it on the plants and entry points to the yard which might help. When I lived downtown, raccoons were a big problem with my plants so I used the capsicum a few times and they never came back.

Thank you! I will definitely give it a try and let you know how well that works out.

So my mum is a huge fan of gardening except our veggie garden is constantly being ravaged by squirrels and other uninvited furry creatures. Any suggestions on how to deter them from coming back?

Without chicken wire I only saw my tomatoes as they disappeared green, being munched by squirrels.

Without chicken wire I only saw my tomatoes as they disappeared green, being munched by squirrels.

Chicken wire? Wouldn't the animals get hurt from attempting to get to the veggies? I just want to deter them, I don't want to injure them.

No, chicken wire is a good suggestion too if you are fine with how it looks. There are many ways to set it up and depending on how small the holes are they will stop whatever pests you have a problem with. I have used chicken wire for plants I deal with at work that would get munched on by rabbits.
IMG_5794.JPG

Funnily enough the squirrels leave my tomatoes alone. They do however pluck hibiscus leaves to eat and chew the tops off my sunflowers. I imagine there's some big squirrel king somewhere that convenes a meeting every morning to discuss what they can do that will piss me off the most that day.

Landmines.

No, chicken wire is a good suggestion too if you are fine with how it looks. There are many ways to set it up and depending on how small the holes are they will stop whatever pests you have a problem with. I have used chicken wire for plants I deal with at work that would get munched on by rabbits.
IMG_5794.JPG

Oh! God what am I saying... I apologize when I read chicken wire, what crossed my mind was barbed wires like those from the movie Watership Down with the rabbits.

Oh! God what am I saying... I apologize when I read chicken wire, what crossed my mind was barbed wires like those from the movie Watership Down with the rabbits.

I do have enough old transformers kicking around to get up to 6 or 7 thousand volts if the windings hold. Food for thought......Fresh ripe tomatoes AND fried squirrel. 2 for 1.

All my sunnies are gone too but I think it is the rabbits, not squirrels.

Re: rabbits - very interesting - didn't know that they go after sunflowers or brussels sprouts.

For the past few years we have had a family of rabbits living under our deck. We have a lot of plants for them to choose what to eat and they seem to like one specific plant the most out of anything I have ever panted, so now it's become my trusted decoy plant. It's a bronze Carex buchananii grass called Red Rooster. I plant a bunch of them and the rabbits browse on it every year and leave pretty much everything else alone. It's a perennial so it keeps coming back and the rabbits are happy.

I also border all my veggie beds with Marigolds, Sage, Basil and Lavendar, so maybe the strong scents keep them away.

Got a rareish plant today to try outside over the summer, a bird of paradise plant at Loblaws. It will definitely have to come inside for the winter but it has foliage like a canna and if you're lucky enough to get it to flower it looks a little like a bird. I'm hoping I can get it to grow as tall as my banana plants over the summer.

I want to put down black mulch but my wife in concerned that it will get too hot for the roots. I say dirt is black and doesn't have a problem so who's right?

Also can regular size tomato plants grow in 5 gallon pails?

Bird of Paradise is a great tropical plant. They are also commonly used in arrangements as cut flowers.

I would always suggest going with a natural mulch than a dyed mulch, unless you are specifically into the black colour. Cedar and hemlock make for some nice mulches with hemlock having a colour that lasts longer than cedar. I also really like the smell of cedar and hemlock mulch. Yes a black mulch will get hotter than a brown mulch which could be a good thing if you are wanting to warm up the soil and wake your plants up, or a bad thing if it causes the soil to heat up more than normal and prematurely dry out or stress the plants. And soil is generally brown not black:)

Yes regular tomato plants can grow in 5 gal pails as long as you drill some drainage holes in the bottom.

Also got some artichoke plants to try, pretty sure they are the new annual kind (better be or I wasted my cash) and some Bok Choi plants too. Looking forward to some nice stir fries.

My Christmas Cactus decided to bloom, in June.

Such a great gardener. I'm on batch #3 of sunflower seedlings - Yay

My Christmas Cactus decided to bloom, in June.

Such a great gardener. I'm on batch #3 of sunflower seedlings - Yay

Somewhere I read that sunflowers make the ground around them toxic to other plants. True or false?

True! The term is called allelopathy which is essentially one plant inhibiting the growth of other plants by releasing some toxin into the soil via roots, or fallen leaves etc. Black Walnut trees are a very common tree that is one of the most well known plants that inhibit the growth of many others.

And a Christmas cactus blooming in June is awesome - it's exactly 1/2 way to Christmas - it must mean something...

A little of topic but anyone else have an ant issue? My interlock in the front is getting destoyed and I have 3 anthills in the back yard. Like my lawn wasn't in rough enough shape already.
Any suggestions? I've already partially dug up the backyard ones and doused them with the ant nest destoyer foam.
Let's just say:
Ant Hills - 3
Joe Bass - 0

sent from my Purple LGG4 on the GTAM app

Back
Top Bottom