Anyone into gardening here? | Page 14 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Anyone into gardening here?

Thanks Shane ☺

Sent from my custom purple Joe Bass mobile device using Tapatalk

I planted what i thought were green beans this year and this is what i have now.Huh?
P6280048_zpscwuacz8g.jpg

Cook em up, I think they turn green then.

First blooms on all my seedlings except sunflowers. Nasturtium are a really spicy variety. Chopped salad for dinner.

^Great - only thing I would tweak is to let your grass grow a little higher than 2.4" to aid in water conservation, drought resistance, and weed suppression. Try to cut it at 3"-4". The 1/3 rule is key. The final cut of the season should always be the shortest of the season to prevent any disease development over the winter.

Everyone I gave my sunflower seedlings to has had success, keep getting pics sent of gorgeous ones.

Except the 6 I kept.....grrrr.

Everyone I gave my sunflower seedlings to has had success, keep getting pics sent of gorgeous ones.

Except the 6 I kept.....grrrr.

I keep trying sunflowers but they just become squirrel toys.

Got some great success with some unusual plants this year, borage and lovage. The lovage has taken from last year and will be a perennial. Unusual taste in a salad. Very strong taste but not unpleasant. Spring onions are superb this year. Tomatoes had a slow start but are picking up now with flowers. I have about 8 banana trees outside enjoying the warmth too along with 4-5 hibiscus bushes and a few large elephant ears which all make a nice little tropical grotto.

dried lovage is a great soup seasoning. Sparingly, I agree about taste

I've been harvesting my herbs and some plants and I've started to dry them out. There's nothing more satisfying than growing my own food and herbs, drying them out while storing the seeds and later consuming them. Circle of life stuff.

Nematodes?

I've been fighting a several year battle with the grubs and sprayed nematodes Mid May to fend off the white root munchers. I did the same last year but got a second infestation. When should I reapply?

Rubber mulch?

A tire recycling company makes mulch out of car tires. It sounds like a good idea as it lasts longer than the tree chippings. It actually looks OK, not like bits of rubber and comes in different colours.

However there is a complex nitrogen situation with the conventional stuff and I'm concerned about chemicals leaching out of the tire stuff. Thoughts?

Nematodes?

I've been fighting a several year battle with the grubs and sprayed nematodes Mid May to fend off the white root munchers. I did the same last year but got a second infestation. When should I reapply?

Rubber mulch?

A tire recycling company makes mulch out of car tires. It sounds like a good idea as it lasts longer than the tree chippings. It actually looks OK, not like bits of rubber and comes in different colours.

However there is a complex nitrogen situation with the conventional stuff and I'm concerned about chemicals leaching out of the tire stuff. Thoughts?

I've got recycled rubber garden bed edging and it's great. Resists strimmer and lawnmower damage etc. I'd be slightly wary of rubber mulch though as I could see some leeching of material into the ground from smaller particles and there's a bit of a cocktail of stuff in that rubber, not all harmful though to be fair. You don't see too much in the way of recycled tire kitchenware! I like cedar mulch as it is a natural pesticide and when it decays it adds compost too. I have to replace some every year but it's not too pricey when on sale.

Mulch: Don't use the recycled rubber mulch in a home garden - in addition to what was already said, it will do absolutely nothing for the soil and will get hotter than wood mulch. Don't worry too much about wood mulch tying up or drawing nitrogen from the soil, just use finer mulch and not the larger hardwood chips, and no more than 3" deep. Natural cedar or hemlock mulch is best.

Nematodes: reapply in late summer - so August or September. Different grubs turn into different insects, and so they have different life cycles. Many feed in both the spring and late summer, but some also primarily feed on the summer and less in the spring. A spring and a fall application will keep most grub populations under control.

Anyone here can PM me your email address if you want a document I put together for lawn pests and control.

I have some plants being attacked by something putting small holes in the leaves. Doesn't seem to be one single plant although the hostas in a part of the garden look a little Swiss cheesy. I've seen a few bright red beetles flying around, I don't know if it's those. I don't think it's slugs. Anything I can do organically? I don't want to spray any pesticides.

I have some plants being attacked by something putting small holes in the leaves. Doesn't seem to be one single plant although the hostas in a part of the garden look a little Swiss cheesy. I've seen a few bright red beetles flying around, I don't know if it's those. I don't think it's slugs. Anything I can do organically? I don't want to spray any pesticides.

Beer in a shallow container in the ground around the hostas.They drown happy.

^diy version = crushed egg shells at base of plant. Actually saved 4 dozen shells from a lodge weekend a bunch of us went on last weekend. Hubby doesn't eat eggs so this was a trove of garbage that I was delighted with. Would have taken me forever to collect that many!

Back
Top Bottom