Anybody looking forward to the ski/snowboard season? | Page 4 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Anybody looking forward to the ski/snowboard season?

Can someone recommend me a really good boot fitter? I tried a few places but every ones runs away from my boots. I can't buy these locally so most shops don't want to deal with them.

Can someone recommend me a really good boot fitter? I tried a few places but every ones runs away from my boots. I can't buy these locally so most shops don't want to deal with them.

Depends where you are. Corbett's in Oakville. Call first as he is not always there. Normally it is best to make an appointment. Might find it difficult if you already have the boots.
If this is the case. Have you thought about getting new boot liners.

Another option is Sign of the Skier on Yonge st.

Also go here for more information. Not cheap.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2MlSTFwHXAA

Last edited:
I have the weirdest heels in the world. Super small heels with very bonny ankles. I tried just about every boot in the world. NOTHING fits me. I been skiing in Salomon falcons for the past few years with aftermarket liners. Zipfit liners to be exact. Amazing liners, they work really well. I been skiing them for years, but I am miserable touring in in them. It's not fun trying to keep up with the tech crowd with heavy touring boots and super heavy frame bindings I am in. It is also almost impossible getting them back on if I do overnight tours with a tent. I tried just about every touring boot out there and the dynafit khion fits very well with zipfits, but it has a very bad hotspot in back of my lateral malleolus(outside ankle bone). Seems like the boot digs in hard from behind where it is most prominent (red line). Dunno how well this can be punched out since part of it is under the metal spine.

I am not going near Corbett's. They screwed up my AT binding install, so bad that the bindings did not function. They just gave them back to me, as a successful install. The workmanshp on that install was terrible.

KxGYq3M.jpg

This is how it looks from the back, the green part is magnesium spine.

extranet_601237_6997_playicon.jpg

Third time snowboarding today and I went on the black diamond at Mt St Louis. Gonna try the double black diamonds at blue mountain in a couple weeks

Heading up to Blue this Sunday and then Tremblant next weekend. Can't wait!

Third time snowboarding today and I went on the black diamond at Mt St Louis. Gonna try the double black diamonds at blue mountain in a couple weeks

How were the conditions?

Nice! but be warned: a "black"/"double black" at these local resorts (Blue/Holiday Valley/Moonstone) =! black/double black at a REAL mountain resort. But they're a good start :)

I'm hearing 30-60cm up north today!? should make for some excellent conditions!

Yeah my buddy who skis in Europe told me or blacks here are greens in Europe
Yeah diamonds and double diamonds here are a walk in the park next to vermont, quebec, out west resorts.

Can't wait to ski in europe one day *lesigh* havent even been to "blue hill" yet.

Anyone ski Canadian made stuff?
Here are two companies that are on the radar that I will make an effort to demo this year.

priorsnow.com (heard great things about Husume)
skevikskis.com

Bindings
G3 (also make skins in canada)

Got out yesterday and it felt great to shake the cobwebs off. It actually turned out to be a pretty decent day too. Snow conditions weren't awesome but rideable. Also booked my accommodations for Tremblant so now just waiting for this week to be over :p

im thinking of going maybe later this week if all aligns properly

Anyone drive from TO to BC? I drove to UT and Key west last year, so I am good with long drives. I much rather drive through Canada than the US. There's stories that gas can be an issue, some gas stations close down. Supposedly weather can be really bad. Is the highway usually cleaned?

Returned from Tremblant on Monday. What a great weekend! Weather was perfect. Conditions could've been a little better but they were making snow so Sunday was much less icy than Saturday. Overall fairly decent conditions though. Favourite run of the weekend was "Erik Guay".

Btw, if you don't tune your own board take it to someone who knows what they're doing. I had some guy from kijiji do mine and the heel edge was horrendous! Most of saturday was spent trying to deal with it and it caused a couple of wipeouts. Took it in to the pro shop to get it re-sharpened overnight. The next day was a huge improvement.

Last edited:
Heading down to Gore Mountain http://www.goremountain.com/mountain in mid-February. We have gone every year since we discovered this place several years ago. A 2500' vertical, 15 lifts including a gondola, over 100 trails, and a longest run that is 4.4 miles long! We ski midweek and have never had to wait in a lift line that consisted of more than a dozen people. The sheer size of this mountain means crowds are spread out over a vast area and you spend more time sliding than standing in lift lines.

We had second thoughts about going this year because of the exchange. However, by using the voucher from the TO Ski Show that saves us 50% off lift tickets, then booking a hotel using loyalty point points to discount the room to US $55 a night, we figure the cost will be about the same as skiing in Quebec. Since food and gas are far less expensive in NY, the overall cost with exchange should be close.

Hope the rain holds off tonight, I wanna go boarding tomorrow. Anyone from gtam thinking about heading out to mslm tomorrow

Okay, so everything I said about this year being a crap-shoot in post #8 was total BS:

This morning I just booked a LAST minute flight to Whistler (via YVR)!!! YAY!!! My buddy from NYC and I were reminiscing yesterday about a few trips we did in the past and after seeing a "deal" for 35% discount for AMEX holders, the lodging and lift ticket prices were pretty reasonable so he booked it on a whim LOL... Let the weather watch begin!

Unfortunately this means no new bike for me this year, but that's totally worth it IMO

Also: for the next big (forecasted) snow day in the GTA & Barrie, I'm booking a vacation day and taking my wife to Blue Mountain (where I will train her, and remind my legs of what winter is all about). Totally down to meetup with GTAM'ers too. Lets see!!!

Back
Top Bottom