Any weird hobbies out there? | Page 4 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Any weird hobbies out there?

I quilt.

Thinking of getting into custom bike covers and race canopies. Not the actual canopy but somehow attaching to the existing one for advertisement/promo. Gonna be tricky as the tents are usually not great and I don't want to add to the failure rate of these things.

Not for everyone but while chatting to a client on a service call she said she was making a love quilt. It was a quilt that was made from bits of fabric from her daughter's old outfits. She would be able to point to various pieces and recall the event where it was worn or who gave it etc.

Could you wire together bits of fairing from around a track and make a doghouse or something?

Love working with wood. Used to make small furniture pieces like tables and shelves, but haven't in a long while. Make practice swords now. lol

Love working with wood. Used to make small furniture pieces like tables and shelves, but haven't in a long while. Make practice swords now. lol

There are a few companies making wooden swords for display purposes and they seem to be doing pretty well. Well enough that Adam Savage bought one and turned it into a CosPlay sword on "Tested."

[video=youtube;O1--0DLJv-8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O1--0DLJv-8[/video]

@Mimico and wood workers

check Youtube for people converting vans into rv's (livable spaces)
they use a lot of wood and it was to be custom work.

kinda cool put your bike in a large Ford Transit or Sprinter and roam around North/South America
toss your bike and snowboard in there and hit the road

@Mimico and wood workers

check Youtube for people converting vans into rv's (livable spaces)
they use a lot of wood and it was to be custom work.

kinda cool put your bike in a large Ford Transit or Sprinter and roam around North/South America
toss your bike and snowboard in there and hit the road

That's what I was thinking of as my retirement vehicle. Bed would be swung down from the side and when up it would be the bike bay. Tools and kitchen on the left/port side.

Those wood swords look nice. Mine were originally made heavier as practice swords, but some of them looked too nice to bash around. Found material is great. Swords made from oak from old couches and the wrap from the fake or real leather of the couch.

That's what I was thinking of as my retirement vehicle. Bed would be swung down from the side and when up it would be the bike bay. Tools and kitchen on the left/port side.

Those wood swords look nice. Mine were originally made heavier as practice swords, but some of them looked too nice to bash around. Found material is great. Swords made from oak from old couches and the wrap from the fake or real leather of the couch.

ppl using the larger Transits and Sprinters do some nice conversions
stoves, vent fans, heaters, sink, shower (external seems best), tv, music (don't need massive sound system), led lights, solar panels on top
also cutting the sides and adding your own windows was a cool idea (skylight if you have space also)
I would add an air cleaning system (something small like an Oreck table top type unit)
Someone made a point about keeping your living space as clean as possible and for allergens.

I guess getting a solid diesel Mercedes engine would be the best engine for dependability...just my guess...Brian P. probably has the answer, lol

2 people can travel around easily and comfortably
seems to be a good fit for those outdoor types and travel types

it's best to look at some videos then you can see how to better save space and do things effectively

FIL had an older VW Transporter van and once he passed a few years ago I made the call to sell it. Transmission was very fragile and on it's last legs, but the motor had the nice VR6 motor inside...damn I wish I kept that thing. Camping, road trips, all that stuff would be so easy with it, but I didn't trust the thing to last 6 more months without some very extensive and expensive repairs. Some dude bought it off kijiji and shipped it to Africa to his family. Go figure.

Enclosed all aluminum cargo trailers converted to stealth campers have really caught my attention. Ramp back door. Curb side man door. Outfit as you see fit.

I don't want to tow a trailer, just a 1 pc van with living and garage space. Best to look as normal as possible and nondescript.

@Rob:
All started with a little shield and swords when they were little:

Made some foam edged ones they used to battle at a b-day party too:

Practice ones in different stages and a bought one at the bottom:

cosplay/play ones:

Last edited:

As does my Mrs. Please confirm - the fabric that I can readily see, is all that she owns, yes? ;)

She's now being commissioned for custom quilts, but with the amount of time she puts in - I'd be astounded if she's clearing minimum wage. Keeps her busy though, and she enjoys it.

Not too many "hand made" things on a small individual scale are a big profit maker. i.e. much more than minimum wage.

Not too many "hand made" things on a small individual scale are a big profit maker. i.e. much more than minimum wage.

they can be in the right circumstance, I went through a phase making humidors with elaborate veneer inlays and then jewelery boxes, its a small market for $500 humidors (thanks China...) .
I was taught leather tooling and carving years ago and did really well making custom rodeo tack, but it was for amusement really.

Went through a phase collecting folding marine knives with marlin spikes. I've raced sailboats for years and the idea of carrying a proper yachting knife never gets old, but you really only need one..... I have about twenty five or so around the house.

Im boring model trains ho scale and n scale building a layout still in 13x9 basement room.

Sent from my LG-H831 using Tapatalk

A friend used to build computers and made next to nothing on it but he said he liked doing it so much he would pay to do it. Therefore pocketing fifty bucks for all the running around was a bonus.

A friend used to build computers and made next to nothing on it but he said he liked doing it so much he would pay to do it. Therefore pocketing fifty bucks for all the running around was a bonus.

I get that. If I could make a living just building & fixing computers I would happily do it for the rest of my life

Back
Top Bottom