Any recommendations on earphones (music, google maps directions) for riding ? | Page 4 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Any recommendations on earphones (music, google maps directions) for riding ?

Got the Shures today and tried them, have to say I'm blown away. The sound quality coupled with the fact that it was truly my first time listening to music while riding, I'm elated by the experience. I have been missing out immensely. So glad I got these.

These came with 3 sets of foam tips/buds, along with the usual plastic buds. Could barely hear my bike on the highway, despite having an akra exhaust. To test, I opened my shield for a bit on the highway, still could barely hear any road noise. These are fantastic.

Still getting used to putting them on. Taking the helmet off is a bit of a pain.

Also, the volume control on the inline mic doesn't work with an android phone. The middle key works however, to play/pause music, and if I hold it, brings up google assistant. I guess these were designed to work with iPhones and only some android phones.

Edit: volume control works. There was switch on the remote, that selects between iphone and android mode. Was set to iphone by default.

Last edited:
True. I have half a mind to cancel my Shure order (hasn't shipped yet) and order these. Do you remember how long the delivery time was ?

Edit: Ordered one from plugfones.com. Used paypal for payment, cost CAD$42.06 all in.
For anyone wanting to order, use coupon code "save15" to get 15% off your order on plugfones.com
Amazon order is apparently in the "advanced shipping" phase (whatever that means) and cannot be cancelled, even though it hasn't really shipped. Will have to return.

Nice! Hope you like them!

The plugfones won't last if you use them constantly. Think of how long a regular foam earplug lasts. I commute everyday and sometimes wear them at work, I would destroy the plugfones in a matter of weeks. My shure's are from this time last year and still like new, hundreds of hours on them. They are just covered in paint, sawdust, drywall compound, sweat, blood and tears.

Also, not sure if mentioned yet, the way the Shure's fit in your ear makes them MUCH less likely to be pulled out when helmet going on/off. I can't get a regular ear bud to stay in

I've tried the Plugfones and I've tried the Shure's. It doesn't seem like you fully know what the Plugfone's are? They offer both foam and silicone buds.

According to ride tracking app, I've got over 200 hours with them, not counting using them here at home for hearing protection; probably another 50-100 hours easily with ZERO issues.

Perhaps if you use the foam option I can see it being a longevity issue, however the silicone 3 step plugs are no different than any other 'bud' that you would be using on something like the Shure in terms of durability.

The Shure being less likely to be pulled out? Nothing will stay in your ear as good as an actual ear plug with the pressure fit offered from the 3 step.

Plugfones win hands down for motorcycle use IMO.

@Macdoc, since you own both do you grab the Pioneers or Shures on most days?
They're priced pretty similarly, and I do have an iphone.. probably staying with them for the foreseeable future.

I read your praises on the Pioneers, but am weary of their long-term durability, hard plastic everything vs replaceable parts on the Shures.. +I/spouse can use the Shures in a pinch with other devices.
I actually listen mainly to podcasts/audiobooks when riding, sometimes some bass-heavy music.

I don't think I put the Shures on since I got the Pioneers...they are fall back at this point and for use with the laptop.

I'm pretty confident on Pioneer durability but only time will tell. They don't seal quite as well as the Shures but the active noise cancelling more than makes up for that.

Now I have not used them for music ....Audible books and they are terrific but I don't think they will be lacking for the music aspect tho the Shures will have a better bottom end. The Pioneer thankfully are not bright at all but still good detail. I expect some rough edges with noise cancelling but when you hit the on off button for the NC you quickly go back to NC.

I find the inline controls pretty straight forward even with gloves.

As far as sealing out external noise ...it's a bit of a toss up until high speed then the Pioneers prevail.

You must calibrate them when riding.

Last edited:
I've played around with all kinds of mid to slightly higher end earphones and headphones. Of the ones discussed in this thread that I have either owned or still own. My setup is a Sena 10s going to a PA2V2 inline amp, and then into these earphones.

Etymotic ER6i: They were super clean/clear, amazing for voice/podcasts/horns/brass, but maybe too much so and lacked bottom end. They were so "crisp" they really highlighted low quality (bit-rate) audio and static and electrical disturbance to the comm unit. So they didn't exactly work great with BT streaming. This is just my opinion, I know many people that think these are some of the most "hi-fi" earphones they have ever used. In heavy/regular usage, I ended up damaging the wire as it entered the earpiece. I got less than a year out of them. I used the supplied triple flange (I believe) silicon eartips. They worked great for passive noise cancellation, and minimal casing meant they were easy to keep in the ear getting the helmet on. On the PA2V2 with some of the highs filtered down a bit, sound great . . . really adds some body to the thin/accurate feel of these. Would not buy again as they just weren't a good match for my sound preference.

Shure SE215s: More balanced compared to the Etymotics. However, for motorcycle usage, I do not like the over the ear "memory wire" type fitment. I find it harder to keep in my ears as I get my helmet on. Over ear style fitment just doesn't work for me and helmets. Benefited very well from the PA2V2. These were my everyday earphones I'd plug into my smart phone or a laptop or something like that, until I picked up the Sennheisers, which in my opinion are a better day to day run around earphone as well as a better motorcycle earphone because the Senns have a smaller casing so it's easier to keep them in and get your helmet on.

Sennheiser CX 300B MKII: These have bass the Etymotics can only dream of, but I bet some audiophiles will say these also don't compare in terms of "clarity". To each his own. Basically if you like your EQ setup with a little bit of a "disco smile" or a little heavier on the bottom end (as you can always EQ out a bit of the top end, but you can't make earphones suddenly bassier), these are great earphones. Sound great directly plugged into a smartphone/laptop, etc. Small casing, easy to to keep in the ear getting helmet on. Assymetric wire setup, short on the left, long on the right so siamese point is on your left. May or may not work with your setup. Seemed to work better in my old jacket where the last elasticated wire taming loop for the wire in the jacket was lower and further away. On the new jacket, this setup tends to be more prone to tugging my left ear loose as the last elasticated wire taming loop in the jacket is right at the collar. Single flanged silicon ear bud is less effective than triple flange or foam earbuds so these have the least passive noise cancellation of the earphones listed so far. Can definitely tell the Shures are more ruggedly built. I get the impression it's only a matter of time before I tug (likely on the left) ear piece too hard and damage the wire/connection.

Plugfones (the ones that look like yellow triple flanged earplugs): These have surprisingly better audio then they should. And the triple flange really blocks out the noise. They are a joy to use in a loud environment, i.e. a construction site. However, I found these at least as fragile as the Etymotics, and these also did not last me long. Also, I didn't like them for motorcycle use as the end that sticks out gets pushed on by my helmet and tends to drive the plug into my ear causing pain. Seemed to have the least audio improvement with the PA2V2.

Sony MDR-XB50AP: Great bass. Great overall sound. Very reasonable price. Sound great with or without the PA2V2. I like these at least as much as the Sennheisers, and I mostly got them so that when the Senns break, which I see coming, these will be the backups. Don't work well with helmets as they have a large casing, or at least one that sticks out. But at ~$30, they're pretty good everyday earphones. At their price, quality, and slight emphasis on bottom end, these are a fav of mine, just not for motorcycle/helmet use.

What have I been running lately? I've been experimenting with earphones from overseas. Most of them with dual drivers in each earpiece. Some have been terrible, some have been at least as good as the Senns, and with the 10S and the PA2V2, I actually prefer some of them to even the Shures when on the PA2V2 and riding. Some of the dual driver units can handle a tonne of power, and PA2V2 works great with these dual driver units, especially if you're more of an analog sound guy vs more technical/clean. They ranged from $4-25 US. My current favorite out of the ones I've tried look like this, and I believe I paid $4 US for them IIRC. I think you can find them on Amazon.ca from $15-20.:

https://ae01.alicdn.com/kf/HTB1CtO1aKUXBuNjt_a0q6AysXXav.jpg

And I could be wrong but I believe the branding was QKZ. They can handle a tonne of power before starting to distort. I use memory foam ear buds on them as lately I'm finding them more comfortable than triple flange and similar in passive noise cancellation.

https://ae01.alicdn.com/kf/HTB1q6SlcHZnBKNjSZFGq6zt3FXaM.jpg

Shure SE215s: More balanced compared to the Etymotics. However, for motorcycle usage, I do not like the over the ear "memory wire" type fitment. I

I agree BUT there are loads of third party cables to solve that...I got a set that were "limp" tangled like crazy but could not feel the cable at all...with the correct Westone or other foam tips so they fit snug and especially with a balaclava they stayed in fine and the big loop around the ear from the stiff wire was a bad memory.

I'd guess done carefully that memory wire could be peeled out.

My Sena 20S is away getting replaced so l went back to using my earphones connected to my phone for last weeks daytrip up north. Forgot how much better they sound compared to the Sena speakers. Going to have to plug the earphones into the Sena from now on when it gets back.

Even better sound if you pack the speaker holes in the helmet with foam earplugs ( put 5-6 in a small plastic bag ) and put then into the that cavity. Damp resonance and it you do it right puts just a bit of pressure on the earphones to keep them nicely in place.

That tip works for any helmet with speaker cavities.

Last edited:
I agree BUT there are loads of third party cables to solve that...I got a set that were "limp" tangled like crazy but could not feel the cable at all...with the correct Westone or other foam tips so they fit snug and especially with a balaclava they stayed in fine and the big loop around the ear from the stiff wire was a bad memory.

I'd guess done carefully that memory wire could be peeled out.

Fair enough. Not sure I would try to remove the memory wire, but replacement wires are available. But ultimately they are quite pricey and they just aren't my cup of tea if the intended use is motorcycle riding. I can definitely see the love for them however.

Even better sound if you pack the speaker holes in the helmet with foam earplugs ( put 5-6 in a small plastic bag ) and put then into the that cavity. Damp resonance and it you do it right puts just a bit of pressure on the earphones to keep them nicely in place.

Agreed. If you consider noise cancellation strategies, if you can cover the entire ear with a soft foam ring, or something along the lines of, you can get really good passive noise cancellation. Kinda like muff style hearing protection. And most helmets either have no padding over the ear area like this:
https://www.bellhelmets.com/media/c...l-moto-9-dirt-helmet-cheek-pads-black-f_1.png

Or some doubled up fabric like this:
https://www.revzilla.com/product_im...lmets_speed_r_easy_fit_cheek_pads_750x750.jpg

I took some of the ~5mm thick grey foam like you often find in electronics packaging in my case, from my Sena, and cut out little pieces a little smaller than my ear, stuffed one layer behind the fabric of the cheek pad, and interestingly, 2 on the other (I guess one ear must stick out more, or my head is that lacking in symmetry). Made my helmet noticeably quieter. Don't go overboard or they'll start pushing the earphone into your ear and causing pain after a while. But get it right, and man does it help with wind noise.

I don't have speaker cavities. HJC RPHA. Speakers are as close to my ears as possible without pressure and the small bit of padding of the liner at the ear was notched to accommodate the speakers.

HJC RPHA70 ST Hands-On Review | Web Bike World
https://www.webbikeworld.com/hjc-rpha70-st-hands-review/
Rating: 4.5 - ‎Review by Brandon Jackson
Jan 12, 2018 - The RPHA 70 ST represents HJC's top shelf sport-touring helmet and is an ..... The speaker pockets have two pieces of lined pads in place

What you want to do is damp any cavity resonance. This is more critical with no speakers in place.

Had the Shures on today when coming in to work this morning. Saw a lit up ambulance cross the intersection maybe 30 feet away from me (local roads, not hwy), but I couldn't hear the siren at all. Had I not seen the ambulance I wouldn't even know it was there.

I'm using the foam tips that came with the Shures. Music is at 70-80% volume.

Do you guys experience the same? From our discussion here, I was under the impression that I would be able to hear the sirens at least.

Is 70-80% volume too high?

Are you sure it was running the siren?

I have mine high so i don't always hear them right away, gotta keep the head on a swivel.

Are you sure it was running the siren?

I have mine high so i don't always hear them right away, gotta keep the head on a swivel.
It was crossing the intersection at a red light, I'm pretty sure it would've blasted the siren. Also cars were stopped at a green.

what does 70-80% volume mean?

Try wearing them with no music playing for a while so you are comfortable just wearing them as earplugs - and then gradually increase the volume to get a feel for what works best for you.

When I ride with music, I always listen to it a little on the loud side, but I can always hear sirens - never had an issue there.

what does 70-80% volume mean?

Try wearing them with no music playing for a while so you are comfortable just wearing them as earplugs - and then gradually increase the volume to get a feel for what works best for you.

When I ride with music, I always listen to it a little on the loud side, but I can always hear sirens - never had an issue there.
70-80% of the max allowed. Not sure how else to describe it.

With no music, I'm able to hear road noise quite easily.

Sirens are designed to focus sound forward....

Klaxons are broader area lower pitched so not so directional.

If you are playing music at loud volumes it could mask sirens...pay attention to vehicles around you ...

Also emergency vehicles tend to use their sirens only when needed ...not continuously

Last edited:
Different players amplify music at different volumes. For example an iPhone may be quieter than a Samsung.

Different pieces of music are recorded at different volumes as well. So playing music at 70-80% of the max allowed is relative to the music you are playing and on what device you are playing it from.

If you can hear road and traffic sounds well with no volume, but can't hear anything when music is playing, or even something like sirens right in front of you, then the answer is pretty simple no?

Different players amplify music at different volumes. For example an iPhone may be quieter than a Samsung.

Different pieces of music are recorded at different volumes as well. So playing music at 70-80% of the max allowed is relative to the music you are playing and on what device you are playing it from.

If you can hear road and traffic sounds well with no volume, but can't hear anything when music is playing, or even something like sirens right in front of you, then the answer is pretty simple no?
My understanding was sirens are different. Not hearing road noise doesn't necessarily mean I won't hear sirens, at least that's what my understanding was. Of course, the solution will be to lower the volume. In any case, not a big deal. I do pay attention to vehicle behaviour around me and constantly check my rear view mirrors.

Back
Top Bottom