Any recommendations on earphones (music, google maps directions) for riding ? | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Any recommendations on earphones (music, google maps directions) for riding ?

Yeah they have good volume range ...not all do
True, I went through hundreds of dollars in earbuds before I found the Shure's. A good cheap alternative are the M3's at Canada Computers for about $30, nowhere near the quality but the same fit (good for helmets) and the memory foam tips block a good amount of sound.

The phone makes a difference too. I break phones A LOT at work, so I usually just buy the $100 Acer smartphones from factory direct, I recently picked up an iPhone 6 and the volume and quality difference is very noticeable.

You might want to get some Comply tips ...they have a mixed pack so you can find the best ones for you

https://www.complyfoam.com/products/v-variety-pack-100/?q=shure+2015#

You end up using them all.
I want to try the plastic ones that come with the earphones first. I read Comply tips work too well. I wouldn't want complete sound isolation, at least not till I get used to the idea of riding with music. I get paranoid when I'm not aware of my surroundings. If the plastic ones are completely crap, then for sure I'll grab a pack of these. Thanks for the link!

Last edited:
One thing to clearly understand that attenuation does not eliminate you hearing sounds around you...it just moves them farther away and prevents your ears from clamping down.

You know that muffled feeling when you come out from a venue that is too loud ?? That's your hearing clamping down.

If you are riding without earplugs your hearing is doing that anyways - you simply can't take the 100 dB + wind noise at 100 kph without doing damage.

There are applications around that use the microphone in your phone so you can actually set the level of attenuation....but the -26 dB of earphones like the Shures with Comply tips is a really good balance from the maybe too quiet -33 dB Howard Leight earplugs can attenuate.

Without the seal the foam tips provide - bass will suck.

Last edited:
One thing to clearly understand that attenuation does not eliminate you hearing sounds around you...it just moves them farther away and prevents your ears from clamping down.

You know that muffled feeling when you come out from a venue that is too loud ?? That's your hearing clamping down.

If you are riding without earplugs your hearing is doing that anyways - you simply can't take the 100 dB + wind noise at 100 kph without doing damage.

There are applications around that use the microphone in your phone so you can actually set the level of attenuation....but the -26 dB of earphones like the Shures with Comply tips is a really good balance from the maybe too quiet -33 dB Howard Leight earplugs can attenuate.

Without the seal the foam tips provide - bass will suck.

Interesting. I thought the foam tips would completely prevent any external sounds from seeping in.

Interesting. I thought the foam tips would completely prevent any external sounds from seeping in.

Nope, will help with the wind chatter though.

I also have the Shure se215's with comply foam tips - $80 off Kijiji! They are good enough with the sound quality and do a decent enough job with the wind noise reduction. I also do the balaclava thing to keep them in while putting the helmet of/off, but I'm not a fan of wearing it, especially on long days.
Years ago I rode with the Shure500 series which was on another level for sound quality.
However for regular moto riding, Etymotic's er6i's were the best.

Tried the MEE 6 Pro's after hours and hours of research and not wanting to spend $150+ on Bose, Shure, etc. While sound was good enough for riding, I found I could not for the life of me get them seated in my ears correctly. I tried EVERY tip, every way possible, perhaps the shape of my ear canal wasn't meant for them, but could not get them to seal correctly. I've worn tons of ear plugs and earbuds in the past, never had an issue and understand the mechanics of 'getting them in', but they were a no go for me.

I went with PLUGFONES and couldn't be happier. https://www.plugfones.com/product/guardian/

They are essentially an ear plug first, with music. They handle and fit like any other 3 step (or foam) plug that you would use on a job-site or at home for hearing protection.

I have the original version of the Guardian and love them. They go in first shot, STAY IN when putting your helmet in, no balaclava or crazy maneuver to keep them in. I've done 6 hour rides (I'm on an SS, so don't judge my length! lol) and they didn't bother my ears on bit, don't even feel them in there.

The music aspect is good, I'd guess the Shure's have better sound quality if you sat on your couch and compared the two; but when riding between the noise of my bike, wind and environmental noise, other cars, etc I'm not exactly hoping to hear each individual violin from Beethoven's Symphony 7.

I've probably put almost 10K on the pair I have now with no issues at all. I use the silicone 3 step design so a quick wash cleans them up nicely.

WARNING: The Bluetooth version SEEM like a good idea, however reviews show the battery life is no where near the 12 hours quoted, and the cord is about 3 feet long with cumbersome boxes along the way, not something I'd want to deal with under a jacket, or simply tugging at me the whole time.

^^Nice review and seems like a good product at that price point. Their other product at higher price points look pretty good too.

^^Nice review and seems like a good product at that price point. Their other product at higher price points look pretty good too.

Thanks, yeah the Guardian Plus would be a great option if you want a MIC tucked up in your helmet perhaps (depending on the wind noise of your helmet). I'd stay away from the bluetooth one based on battery life and cord length personally.

Yeah ...good review...saw those a few years ago something similar and complaints were they fell apart. Likely a few iterations forward. It is certainly a good approach tho little space left for the armature.

Here are the Amazon comments .. https://www.amazon.com/Plugfones-Motorcycle-Silicone-Earbuds-Protection/product-reviews/B00RPOAOA0

Seems the QC still needs work.

Honestly, when I bought them almost 2 years ago, they had the same 'reviews', I'm not sure what these people are doing to break them but I certainly am not gentle with mine. At times I'm pulling them out by the cords if I just want to break the seal when walking into a store or somewhere without removing helmet; on the way back on the bike I'm cramming my finger up the side of my helmet to reseat them, I've had zero issues.

Could be good vs bad batch, or could just be people are sitting on them, letting their dog grab them off the table, etc. In my experience people are pretty careless when it comes to anything with a cord on it (headphones, charger, etc).

Plugfones guardians are $93 on Amazon.ca. Pink color is $58.

First rule of Amazon.ca; half the products are overly inflated in price on there from people reselling them for profit.

None of the sellers I found were actually PLUGFONES, all some 'northern shipments' or obvious importing company.

Straight off PLUGFONE's website, they are $34.95 USD shipped to your door (approx $45~ CAD).

First rule of Amazon.ca; half the products are overly inflated in price on there from people reselling them for profit.

None of the sellers I found were actually PLUGFONES, all some 'northern shipments' or obvious importing company.

Straight off PLUGFONE's website, they are $34.95 USD shipped to your door (approx $45~ CAD).

True. I have half a mind to cancel my Shure order (hasn't shipped yet) and order these. Do you remember how long the delivery time was ?

Edit: Ordered one from plugfones.com. Used paypal for payment, cost CAD$42.06 all in.
For anyone wanting to order, use coupon code "save15" to get 15% off your order on plugfones.com
Amazon order is apparently in the "advanced shipping" phase (whatever that means) and cannot be cancelled, even though it hasn't really shipped. Will have to return.

Last edited:
The plugfones won't last if you use them constantly. Think of how long a regular foam earplug lasts. I commute everyday and sometimes wear them at work, I would destroy the plugfones in a matter of weeks. My shure's are from this time last year and still like new, hundreds of hours on them. They are just covered in paint, sawdust, drywall compound, sweat, blood and tears.

Also, not sure if mentioned yet, the way the Shure's fit in your ear makes them MUCH less likely to be pulled out when helmet going on/off. I can't get a regular ear bud to stay in

Last edited:
Shures are long term purchase. Replaceable ( and sturdy ) cables, tips and there are 3rd party cables available

1775.jpg

These are interesting

[video=youtube;eUymG_WDpeM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUymG_WDpeM[/video]

https://store.digg.com/sales/model-3-high-resolution-wireless-in-ear-monitors-clear

Last edited:
Shures are long term purchase. Replaceable ( and sturdy ) cables, tips and there are 3rd party cables available

1775.jpg

These are interesting

[video=youtube;eUymG_WDpeM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUymG_WDpeM[/video]

https://store.digg.com/sales/model-3-high-resolution-wireless-in-ear-monitors-clear
Decided to keep the Shures. Being delivered today. Cancelling the plugfones order. Figured I may as well do it right and buy quality earphones.

I hate shopping. I always flip-flop no matter what I buy.

Back
Top Bottom