Any GTAM'ers own an electric vehicle? | Page 70 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Any GTAM'ers own an electric vehicle?

In shocking news, Tesla is experiencing difficulties making Model 3's. A total of 220 have been delivered so far. They are hoping for 5,000 a week by the end of 2017. That seems likely :/

http://business.financialpost.com/t...s-skid-as-model-3-production-hits-rough-patch

They are falling prey to their own decisions. Rush through development, no mules, problems discovered and now in order to fix them they're holding up the entire production line.

Say what you will about the Big3 automakers, but their methods of bringing a new vehicle to production work, and as much as Tesla is against the "status quo" of the big3 in many respects, they could have learned a few things from them in this case.

Anyhow, those with reservations better get really comfortable in that waiting list if things are any indication so far about how the ramp-up is going to proceed.

In related news GM's announcement yesterday about having 20 electric models to market inside a few years is interesting - I strongly suspect they'll be leveraging the Voltec powertrain heavily in years to come as it's well proven now. If other manufactures follow suit and dramatically ramp up their electric offerings in the next few years it will be interesting to see what it does to Tesla

They are falling prey to their own decisions. Rush through development, no mules, problems discovered and now in order to fix them they're holding up the entire production line.

Say what you will about the Big3 automakers, but their methods of bringing a new vehicle to production work, and as much as Tesla is against the "status quo" of the big3 in many respects, they could have learned a few things from them in this case.

Anyhow, those with reservations better get really comfortable in that waiting list if things are any indication so far about how the ramp-up is going to proceed.

In related news GM's announcement yesterday about having 20 electric models to market inside a few years is interesting - I strongly suspect they'll be leveraging the Voltec powertrain heavily in years to come as it's well proven now. If other manufactures follow suit and dramatically ramp up their electric offerings in the next few years it will be interesting to see what it does to Tesla

I predict Tesla will largely supply batteries in 10 years time as the big guys [seriously] get on board with electric.

brb...
Ok, checked out Google...I may be wrong, given that I saw it not too long after my eye surgery...but I thought it was a 3. May have been the X though. I will retract my 3 judgement until I can confirm.
That being said, you know how we do up here in da 'bridge....these wops have connections for everything. I wouldn't be surprised if they get a bunch of them up here.
Also, was in Oakville the other night and (unsurprisingly) saw a bunch of Ford Focus EVs. All this love for GM, but nothing for Ford?

sent from my Purple LGG4 on the GTAM app

Reworking the old gag, Ford: Found On Road Dead battery

brb...
Ok, checked out Google...I may be wrong, given that I saw it not too long after my eye surgery...but I thought it was a 3. May have been the X though. I will retract my 3 judgement until I can confirm.
That being said, you know how we do up here in da 'bridge....these wops have connections for everything. I wouldn't be surprised if they get a bunch of them up here.
Also, was in Oakville the other night and (unsurprisingly) saw a bunch of Ford Focus EVs. All this love for GM, but nothing for Ford?

The range is lacking with the Ford's.

Sent from my LG-H831 using Tapatalk

So this thread really got me thinking PHEV or EV for my next car, thinking that would be a few years away. Then, I went to the EV Discovery Centre, test drove their cars and knew I wanted to get a Bolt now, mainly because I liked the car and knowing the probably outcome of the upcoming provincial election can significantly change the EV rebate. So, I had a deposit/reservation for a 2018, where the orders won't even be made until late in the year, and who knows how long it would take to deliver the car. Most orders are taking about 8 months to fill, so sometime in spring 2018 was when I probably get the car. Then, I got word of a dealer in Ottawa who had a buyer back out last minute, and now the Bolt is in my driveway.

I'm working on installing the level 2 charger, but right now, the level 1 that came with the car and the occasional fast charge (for free) is keeping me topped up.
Bolt4a.jpg

So this thread really got me thinking PHEV or EV for my next car, thinking that would be a few years away. Then, I went to the EV Discovery Centre, test drove their cars and knew I wanted to get a Bolt now, mainly because I liked the car and knowing the probably outcome of the upcoming provincial election can significantly change the EV rebate. So, I had a deposit/reservation for a 2018, where the orders won't even be made until late in the year, and who knows how long it would take to deliver the car. Most orders are taking about 8 months to fill, so sometime in spring 2018 was when I probably get the car. Then, I got word of a dealer in Ottawa who had a buyer back out last minute, and now the Bolt is in my driveway.

I'm working on installing the level 2 charger, but right now, the level 1 that came with the car and the occasional fast charge (for free) is keeping me topped up.
View attachment 39071

Congrats. I think GM owes PP a commission. He has put more Volts and Bolts in driveways than most of their sales staff.

View attachment 39071

Congrats, my Bolt gets built next week.

Congrats. I think GM owes PP a commission. He has put more Volts and Bolts in driveways than most of their sales staff.
Lol so true!

This seems to be a common issue with many of the auto makers as per this thread. More of a "make one and get it out there" rather than develop a good one right from the get go. Looks like hats off to GM on this one.

And they just put DC Fast Charging on this year's model, which also got a bump in range to 125miles. When I was looking at what used EVs were around, some decent priced Focus Electrics came up but they were far enough to need at least one stop where you'd have to sit and charge for about 4 hours, if you drove it back yourself.

When I went to Ford at the start of my search they stated that the Focus EV has a range of 100-130km....limited IMHO. Until I met the driver of the A3 e-tron in my parking lot this afternoon. We switched spots so he can charge and he informed me he gets 30km before the ICE kicks in! When he asked me what I get (avg ~70km on my Gen1) he was shocked and thought it was pure EV.

I also didn't know that the X5 came in an EV mode....thought it was a ****** BMW driver taking a spot...until I saw the charge cord connected.

Update....around 2,000km and I've used a total of 0.2L. :( Was really hoping to not touch the gas, but ah well....will use more soon as it's cottage time!

Fuel.JPG

Outside of the dealership experience that really put me off CHEV I've been happy with the car. It's been a good daily commuter, and doesn't really get used on the weekend simply that the Rogue is easier to stuff everything in for us and baby. Highly recommend the Volt.

As for the PP commission comment, I agree. Without this thread I would've NEVER considered an EV of any kind due to many of my own misconceptions.

Here's a pic of mine with some friends in the lot...free L2 chargers with a courtesy of 4hrs for others.

Friends.JPG

Congrats on the Bolt Rick - I'd really like to see it one day if you're out in the east end. You're welcome to plug in to my level2 while you're here. ;)

LOL thx. If only. :)

Congrats on the Bolt Rick - I'd really like to see it one day if you're out in the east end. You're welcome to plug in to my level2 while you're here. ;)

I am out east and will gladly drop by sometime, especially if you still have any of that highway sign grade reflective sticker material. PM me and can figure it out.

Overheard someone in the elevator at work yesterday saying they spent $200 on diesel to drive to Halifax and back to Toronto. Interesting.

Anyhow, it went in this morning at 7:30AM. By 10:30 or so they called and informed me that it was indeed the common sensor issue, and that everything else checked out fine. The part is on order an the car will be fixed tomorrow completely under warranty.

When the Voltec warranty is done you can get an aftermarket sensor that replaces the original. It sends a signal to the cpu regardless so the code will never comeback.

The downside is you need to monitor your coolant levels by eye. (pop the hood regularly)

When the Voltec warranty is done you can get an aftermarket sensor that replaces the original. It sends a signal to the cpu regardless so the code will never comeback.

The downside is you need to monitor your coolant levels by eye. (pop the hood regularly)

Already on order from the new guy making them. ;). (I see you're on the GM-Volt website as well ;) )

We got the car back last night and sure enough it was completely covered under the warranty, $0 due. I plan to drive it up until the point that the Voltec warranty is nearly expired before installing the sensor bypass - I want to make sure the code doesn't come up again indicating it may have actually been something else.

As for having the sensor overridden, apparently even if there is a legit battery coolant leak the temperature sensor in the battery will also halt charging the same as the problematic bottle sensor, so in the end it's somewhat irrelevant except for eliminating a common failure point.

Back
Top Bottom