Any GTAM'ers own an electric vehicle? | Page 62 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Any GTAM'ers own an electric vehicle?

Congrats! Just in time for the massive spikes at the pumps this week as well, and another 6-10c/L jump coming tonight on top of it.

Congrats! Just in time for the massive spikes at the pumps this week as well, and another 6-10c/L jump coming tonight on top of it.

Yep. That helplessness of not being able to do ANYTHING about it was a big factor in going to the Volt.

Screw the gas co's that raise prices almost immediately and I'm sure more than necessary when an event like Harvey happens and then when it's the other way say "the lower cost fuel hasn't made it's way through the distribution network yet" (or words to that effect) and drop them less than they should. :thebirdman:

Mimico - congrats on the purchase!

Looks nice glad you found a deal on a used one. There are cheap l2 chargers on AliExpress i have a duosida one and use it as a spare to keep in the car and use my oem one at home. The gen one charger will only do L1 charging unfortunately, so you could use the new one for L2 and keep the original as a spare.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Where did you end up buying the 2014 from? Private or some used lot elsewhere?
I'm semi-regularly on the prowl for a 2014-2016.. and for the Volt, prices in the states actually are about equal to what they are locally.. and most of the local ones are in Ottawa/Quebec..

Where did you end up buying the 2014 from? Private or some used lot elsewhere?
I'm semi-regularly on the prowl for a 2014-2016.. and for the Volt, prices in the states actually are about equal to what they are locally.. and most of the local ones are in Ottawa/Quebec..

I bought mine at Humberview Chevrolet in Etobicoke on Bloor St. There's hardly any around and the 2012-2013 I've seen for 20k or so as well. I wanted to go with a regular dealer and not a used car lot. The car I bought was 20k a week ago and then price drop to 18,200 so I bought it within 5hrs of it being posted with the lower price. I wanted to lease a new one but the payments were close to $400/month which I couldn't justify.

Thanks guys, really enjoying it so far and the best part is that baby stroller fits in with no issues. First order of business is tint next week as it's way too bright, and then maybe some plastidip over that 'chrome' grill.

Thanks Steve for the suggestion on the charger, I found a price on the Duosita for $250USD down in NY, but will check this as well. Is it UL certified from China? I found the OEM ones for about $250USD down in the US as well.

Is it UL certified from China?

That's what I was wondering as well. It is hooked up to a substantial power source, there is a very real chance a dodgy charger could burn your house down (and insurance would not look kindly on a non-listed charger being the cause). If you ran an external plug and charged in the driveway I would be less concerned as the garage should do a decent job keeping the fire outside (the charger doesn't have much to burn unless it lights the car or surrounding junk).

Last edited:
That's what I was wondering as well. It is hooked up to a substantial power source, there is a very real chance a dodgy charger could burn your house down (and insurance would not look kindly on a non-listed charger being the cause).
I will look and see tonight, mine is a long way from the house and the charger is actually in the car. The cord is just a cord and some circutry to let the car know it is plugged in and can start charging.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Here is a link to the one I have you have to cut the plug off and change it to a north american plug either 110 or 220 of your choosing.https://m.aliexpress.com/s/item/32814475587.html?spm=a2g0n.search-cache.0.0.7f25570ftBeaqj#autostay

Thanks Steve for the suggestion on the charger, I found a price on the Duosita for $250USD down in NY, but will check this as well. Is it UL certified from China? I found the OEM ones for about $250USD down in the US as well.

Be careful, please. A quick look at the website linked gave no indication of CSA or ULC (UL is not necessarily equivalent), which are really what you want here - and if you have to cut off a plug of one style and fit your own plug of a different style, that is a whole new set of issues. Let's not even get into the possibility of forged compliance markings and false declarations on stuff like that.

What about us, apartment dwellers? We don't have charging option at home. Really liking the volt.

Often there's regular 120V plugs throughout rental properties. One of these will work for the regular (low speed) EVSE - yes, it's not ideal (about ~8 hours to charge at 12 Amps), but it gets the job done. Talk to the property manager if you can find one that you could park near and see what they say - offer to pay the electricity and have the facts (kwh required, off peak electricity rates, etc) ready to show him/her so that they have a good understanding of what it's actually going to do to their electricity bill - IE, not a whole lot. $1/night for charging would be a fair amount honestly, so ~$30/month. With a level1 (110V) EVSE that's all your'll really manage for charge anyways given the slower nature.

get a proper hybrid, best of both worlds. use a little bit more gas, but non of the plug in nonsense.

My other car is a reservation. Tesla Model 3

ironymeter.gif

Wow.

Last edited:
Still loving the info in this thread. Will be a while, I think, before I would consider an EV. However, I did think of thus thread while at Ikea today, and saw all the chargers ready to go. And only one Volt charging.

sent from my Purple LGG4 on the GTAM app

Seriously contemplating a second Volt. Realistically probably come spring, but have been looking. There's some deals if you're willing to drive.

$12,900 in Quebec. Yes, it has some miles, but the price is low (and could almost certainly be negotiated lower) and it still has many years ahead of it. No seat heaters though, that'd be a show stopper for me.
http://www.autotrader.ca/a/Chevrole...161026125714867/?showcpo=ShowCPO&orup=1_15_56

$14,900 in Quebec: For a few thousand more, half the miles... I'd jump on this one today if we were ready to buy now. Looks like it's pretty much loaded.
http://www.autotrader.ca/a/Chevrole...814897/?ursrc=hl&showcpo=ShowCPO&orup=2_15_56

Lots more in the $15K range with low miles in the Quebec area - not surprisingly given how expensive fuel is there, Volts seem to be more plentiful.

Forgot to post this pic yesterday. I bought this lawnmower a few years ago after getting sick and tired of fighting with my old gas lawnmower - it wouldn't run right after it's winter sleep and after pulling on the recoil for 20 minutes the cord snapped and I listened as the spring unwound internally and bits and pieces fell out into the engine. I put it out at the curb and got rid of it and bought this critter instead:

electriclawnmower.jpg

It's a rechargeable electric...kinda like the Volt.

And I love it. Every spring it "starts up" effortlessly. Never needs gas, never fights me trying to get it running - just push a button and pull the lever and away it goes. More than enough power to even mow the heavy lush grass from our wet summer this year. When I'm done I just wheel it into the garage, plug in the charge cord, and leave it until next time. Self propelled and it has a bagger if I want it as well, but I just use it on the mulch option instead.

Be cautious about buying vehicles from Quebec. Vehicles with dodgy histories go there to magically reappear on the road. One car with a smashed front and one with a smashed rear go there to magically reappear as one roadworthy car.

Be cautious about buying vehicles from Quebec. Vehicles with dodgy histories go there to magically reappear on the road. One car with a smashed front and one with a smashed rear go there to magically reappear as one roadworthy car.

Agreed. I would think a Carproof/Carfax would show the damage history though. No report, not interested.

They would if reported. If not it'll never show up and be a 'clean' vehicle.

Fair enough, but any major collision that would have resulted in the vehicle being written off would likely be there I would think. From what I've gathered on the Quebec write off rebranding routine they only take vehicles that were total writeoffs, not usually minors that would have been repaired by insurance companies here.

And with a thorough examination the telltales of these sorts of rebuilds can be spotted.

Back
Top Bottom