Any GTAM'ers own an electric vehicle? | Page 61 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Any GTAM'ers own an electric vehicle?

I just checked the trip that I just got back from ... Fort Wayne Indiana. It would have been no problem to do it in a Tesla. There's a supercharger in Sarnia that's within easy range from Toronto, and then there's a couple more along I69 on the way.

But anything else? Nope. Plenty of charging stations - very few fast-charging stations.

Tesla model 3 is 35k usd about 44 cad and there's 8k govt rebate. Can you wait 2 years to get the car?

... and it has just barely emerged from vaporware status, as opposed to a year and change ago when my previous commuter car was finished and it was time for a new one. Now that I have a new one, as per my usual practice, I will drive this into the ground, so it will be a few years yet!

I don't buy into the Tesla hype anyhow. They might have gotten the charging infrastructure right, but they've not got the parts and service side of it right. I can buy parts for a GM, Ford, Chrysler, or half of the Japanese brands within walking distance of my house at either the dealer or at Canadian Tire. Tesla ... uh ... no.

Too exclusive and you lose market share, no matter how much better your product is. See Sony and Betamax....for those old enough to remember.

The Leavens VW one is 24 kW ... that will take a couple hours to recharge a real EV (and an e-Golf doesn't count)

The Chatham-Kent one has a lot of complaints in the comments section.

A lot of them say DC fast charging but they don't say how many kW it is. Bolt max charging rate is 50 kW and I'd consider that a bare minimum; if it doesn't do at least that then it's not viable for a long trip ...

Fair enough - at ~50KW in the sweet spot of charging (battery between 0-50% capacity, charge rate starts to taper above 50%) you get 90 miles (so, 144KM) in 30 minutes. So, at 25KW you'd need 1 hour to get those same number of KM's.

Fair enough - at ~50KW in the sweet spot of charging (battery between 0-50% capacity, charge rate starts to taper above 50%) you get 90 miles (so, 144KM) in 30 minutes. So, at 25KW you'd need 1 hour to get those same number of KM's.

Stopping for 25% of the time (50KW charger) on a long trip kills your average speed (and the feasibility of completing such a trip in an economic timeframe). Unless the trip only slightly exceeds the base vehicle range (say 500 km trip with 400 km capable car), I would argue that even 50KW is unacceptably slow. 25KW is useless for travel, that is just a greenwashing station.

Do be a true complete replacement for ICE, we need to get charging times down to 15 minutes every 4 driving hours (roughly equivalent to the worst conventional ICE vehicle). This would be a 250KW charger. Eeek. Aside from the battery problems with hammering them that hard, there is a lot of copper just to make that connection.

It will not happen with the current battery chemistry, you will have to wait for the next one. But I would argue that we need 15mins every 4 driving hrs. I believe we need a lot less than that to get the ball significantly rolling ....

It will not happen with the current battery chemistry, you will have to wait for the next one. But I would argue that we need 15mins every 4 driving hrs. I believe we need a lot less than that to get the ball significantly rolling ....

We don't need that speed for EV's to replace many ICE vehicles. I think having access to that speed along transportation corridors eliminates most of the arguments regarding ICE over EV.

Last edited:
Yep, especially considering that most families in Canada own 2 cars, some even more ....

Telsa is great, but look at the videos on youtube about build quality.
There is a minor gap between the rear windshield's top edge meeting with the roof's sheetmetal. Stuff collects there, leaks, etc.

Great first kick at the can, much to be desired for long term viability.. especially when they're commanding their luxury car price.

I still say Apple will eventually buy Tesla with the horde of cash they have. Buy Tesla stock now! :D

A solution to the charging speed problem is in the works. http://mobile.reuters.com/article/amp/idUSKBN1AA035.

However, most people don't seem to realize that they probably will never actually need to use a charging station. How many times do you leave your house, fill up the tank at the nearest gas station and need to put more gas in before you return home? Once a year on a road trip? Rent a car for the occasion and save buckets of money the rest of the year. With an electric car, you always leave home with a full tank. In the bolts case with over 400 km worth of juice (real world numbers from people driving normally - not hypermileing - confirmed from the Bolt owners forum easily exceed the official Chevy specs of 383km).

Telsa is great, but look at the videos on youtube about build quality.
There is a minor gap between the rear windshield's top edge meeting with the roof's sheetmetal. Stuff collects there, leaks, etc.

Great first kick at the can, much to be desired for long term viability.. especially when they're commanding their luxury car price.

Oh, I think most people realize that, that it will take them long time to get on par with OEM's regarding build quality, especially external panels. But I also believe that none of the early Tesla adopters really care about that at this point. They simply don't.

I still say Apple will eventually buy Tesla with the horde of cash they have. Buy Tesla stock now! :D

Tesla is not cash strapped in a sense that every time they ask for more money they easily get it ... yes, not the same as having hundreds of billions in the bank, but not really a concern for them anymore.

I'd be shocked, if they would agree to sell now ..... the time was right some time ago, but not now.

A solution to the charging speed problem is in the works. http://mobile.reuters.com/article/amp/idUSKBN1AA035.

However, most people don't seem to realize that they probably will never actually need to use a charging station. How many times do you leave your house, fill up the tank at the nearest gas station and need to put more gas in before you return home? Once a year on a road trip? Rent a car for the occasion and save buckets of money the rest of the year. With an electric car, you always leave home with a full tank. In the bolts case with over 400 km worth of juice (real world numbers from people driving normally - not hypermileing - confirmed from the Bolt owners forum easily exceed the official Chevy specs of 383km).

You are not wrong in your thinking, quite the opposite, but ... not everyone thinks like that, especially not the average consumer. Secondly, it's not for everyone as there are plenty of people who simple need to have distance charging available on regular basis. So it needs to be addressed before EV's are accepted in large scale.

Thanks to PP and all the contributors on this thread as I used all this info to replace the Civic with a new to me Volt. Bought a 2014 Volt LT with some options and so far I can say that I'm very happy with the results! Over 150km in 2 days and zero fuel used completely! Don't have an L2 charger at home yet, but I have one at the office and it's been great over the 1 day!

The things I do miss about my Civic Si....the sound....and the suspension! The transmission was great and I didn't want to let it go...until the drive home on Wednesday where it was stop and go from Yonge to the 427 with NO DAMN ACCIDENT ANYWHERE ALONG THE ROUTE!

Car says 71km this morning to empty on the battery and I'm happy as it's rated at closer to 56km so can't go wrong there. Taking a lot of getting used to and adjusting my driving, but overall the car is well planted, quiet as hell, and can go fairly well in Sport mode. Will see how long I can go without using fuel as we're not taking it to the cottage (too much stuff to take with baby, wife, and MIL).

Thanks again all!

IMG_1230[1].JPGIMG_1231[1].JPG

Thanks to PP and all the contributors on this thread as I used all this info to replace the Civic with a new to me Volt. Bought a 2014 Volt LT with some options and so far I can say that I'm very happy with the results! Over 150km in 2 days and zero fuel used completely! Don't have an L2 charger at home yet, but I have one at the office and it's been great over the 1 day!

The things I do miss about my Civic Si....the sound....and the suspension! The transmission was great and I didn't want to let it go...until the drive home on Wednesday where it was stop and go from Yonge to the 427 with NO DAMN ACCIDENT ANYWHERE ALONG THE ROUTE!

Car says 71km this morning to empty on the battery and I'm happy as it's rated at closer to 56km so can't go wrong there. Taking a lot of getting used to and adjusting my driving, but overall the car is well planted, quiet as hell, and can go fairly well in Sport mode. Will see how long I can go without using fuel as we're not taking it to the cottage (too much stuff to take with baby, wife, and MIL).

Thanks again all!

View attachment 39022View attachment 39023
Looks nice glad you found a deal on a used one. There are cheap l2 chargers on AliExpress i have a duosida one and use it as a spare to keep in the car and use my oem one at home. The gen one charger will only do L1 charging unfortunately, so you could use the new one for L2 and keep the original as a spare.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom