Any GTAM'ers own an electric vehicle? | Page 54 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Any GTAM'ers own an electric vehicle?

We are a long LONG way away from "everyone" wanting an electric car. Simply go back and re-read many of your very own comments earlier in this thread to see many of the common stereotypes and misconceptions that need to be overcome first. Or go read the comments on just about any EV related news post on Facebook - you'll bash your head into the wall.

There's a segment of the population that is ready to take the leap, no doubt, however there is a simply overwhelming percentage of the population who still think EV's are a joke and say "they'll never catch on" or charging is "a hassle" (sound familiar?) despite it being a foregone conclusion we are on the precipice of the inevitable decline of the internal combustion engine.

It's going to happen sure, but I don't think it's going to happen at the pace of Tesla hopes and dreams.

And at the prices anouced, the Bolt (which is already at market and available to consumers TODAY, not a year and a half from an order date) is still a very compelling vehicle in comparison with a far more established support network behind it.

And yes I also agree that it's prudent to wait at least two or three weeks for the real initial reviews, and beyond that, 6 or 8 months for some long term reviews (indicating basic reliability) before rushing to any conclusions on that front.

Tesla announced two versions of the Model 3

Base model rated at 220 mi (352 km) range for USD 35,000, and the USD 44,000 version with upsized battery will give a range rated at 310 mi (496 km). That's enough to get to Montreal (in favourable conditions) with just a quick pee break to charge up.

and the bigger battery version does 0 to 60 in 5.1 seconds. unbelievable

We are a long LONG way away from "everyone" wanting an electric car. Simply go back and re-read many of your very own comments earlier in this thread to see many of the common stereotypes and misconceptions that need to be overcome first. Or go read the comments on just about any EV related news post on Facebook - you'll bash your head into the wall.

There's a segment of the population that is ready to take the leap, no doubt, however there is a simply overwhelming percentage of the population who still think EV's are a joke and say "they'll never catch on" or charging is "a hassle" (sound familiar?) despite it being a foregone conclusion we are on the precipice of the inevitable decline of the internal combustion engine.

It's going to happen sure, but I don't think it's going to happen at the pace of Tesla hopes and dreams.

And at the prices anouced, the Bolt (which is already at market and available to consumers TODAY, not a year and a half from an order date) is still a very compelling vehicle in comparison with a far more established support network behind it.

And yes I also agree that it's prudent to wait at least two or three weeks for the real initial reviews, and beyond that, 6 or 8 months for some long term reviews (indicating basic reliability) before rushing to any conclusions on that front.

You're missing the point.

NOBODY is and never will be excited about the Bolt.

just about EVERYBODY is excited about the Tesla, even if they never will own one. its truly a game changer.

It will put electric cars on the radar of many peoples minds. something the BOLT never could do. a decent electric car? Yes, but simply BORING.

Initial review is certainly promising.

I still dislike the interior styling and doubt this will ever change. (I like the exterior styling.)

I have concerns about: Quality control, corrosion protection (steel body on this - Tesla hasn't done that before), long term reliability, parts availability, whether the manual flip-out door handles have been ice-storm-tested, whether the glass top (even if you order the steel roof, the rear window is still huge) is hot-weather-tested and hailstorm-tested. There are still plenty of ways this could all go wrong.

And that initially promised $35,000 price tag was a teaser, as expected. The long-range battery pack and the premium package with power accessories bump it near $50,000 and that's US$ so figure on C$65,000 (I'd skip all the autopilot nonsense). Even after the Ontario tax credit it is a $50,000 car. That's not completely out of whack; there are plenty of $50,000 cars on the road (although I don't own one!) and it's not way out of line relative to the average transaction price.

The Motor Trend review confirms a couple of things. They softened the styling of the nose a bit, and they opened up the trunk opening, in response to early criticism.

I like this. I just hope it works!

The initial review suggests that Tesla nailed the ride and handling. *THAT* is promising for me possibly owning one at some point after it becomes proven ...

For me, an autopilot equipped Model 3 for around $50000 after the provincial rebate would've been worth seriously considering, but the future of the Ontario incentive is uncertain. If (probably going to happen) there's a change of government, I would at least expect a reduction of the rebate to a level similar to Quebec and it that could happen as soon as the fall of 2018 (applying some reason to governance predictions). I expect my chances of getting a Model 3 before then would be extremely thin, joining in the reservation queue this late in the game.

It looks like the auto manufacturer that really has to gird up for competition is BMW. Certainly, Tesla's market share is a small niche compared to BMW's global totals, but BMW's similarly priced i3 and upcoming 3 series EV will be in most direct competition with Tesla's 3.

just about EVERYBODY is excited about the Tesla, even if they never will own one. its truly a game changer.

Lots of people are excited about it including me - competition is good, increased EV exposure is good. But I'd still buy a Bolt before a Tesla for the more open nature of support and service, not to mention it's cheaper in the end - A fully loaded Bolt is roughly the same price as a base model Tesla 3. The loaded 3 will be over $75K CDN based on current exchange rates - that's *not* an "everymans car" anymore.

But "everybody" is not excited. Again, find some EV related news coverage (for any manufacturer) on Facebook and read the comments from the general public. Reality is anything but. I don't even read them anymore honestly as the misinformation, fears, and doubts are both frustrating and brain numbing because many people are unwilling to open their minds to alternatives, simply fearing change because it's "different" and they don't understand it.

We are still probably a decade away (and more technological leaps in battery and charging capabilities) from acceptance even reaching 50% of the population, and acceptance doesn't mean people will buy them, it just means they'd be willing to if the price and range was right. Price is STILL a barrier to many/most who would go and buy an EV today.

It's not a stat I like clearly, but it's reality.

Last edited:
On another note, I achieved a new all time electric mileage record today - 72.6KM on battery alone, and I arrived back in the driveway with 2KM still showing on the guess-o-meter.

On a 2012 first gen Volt (with the smallest battery of all Volts, at that) and 140,000KM on the odometer, I'm quite pleased with that. Achieved it on our weekly trip to the stable and back this morning - mostly 70-80KPH roads completely with some decent hills in and around the Brimacombe ski hill area.

I'm now firmly convinced that I could easily achieve 80 to 90 KM on electric on a flat land at 80KPH, secondary roads type thing.

volt72K.jpg

Electric SUv that looks like it should get real cred from the legit off-road crowd. http://bollingermotors.com/

Also, a perfect commuter for people with low self-worth. Though with all those flat panels it must be a rattle can to ride in.

Idk @fastar1 I kinda like it

sent from my Purple LGG4 on the GTAM app

I think it's likely an excellent off-roader. God awful commuter. But people will buy it to commute if it turns out to be a great off-roader.

People. What can you do?

All this talk of EVs is quite interesting and I was surprised to see how affordable the Volts are.

I may need a commuter vehicle soon after a job change and I was looking at Smart cars.

All this talk of EVs is quite interesting and I was surprised to see how affordable the Volts are.

I may need a commuter vehicle soon after a job change and I was looking at Smart cars.

The thread has got a bit unwieldy to read from the start now, but I'm glad people are finding it interesting.

I looked at a Smart a few years ago but was honestly really surprised at how poor fuel economy they got - around 6.5L/100KM. The early diesel models yielded better at around 4.5L/100KM, but for some reason they only made them for a year or two before they switched to gas - unfortunately diesel vehicles are still low acceptance here and I think that hurt the early sales.

Back
Top Bottom