Any GTAM'ers own an electric vehicle? | Page 53 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Any GTAM'ers own an electric vehicle?

Looks nice. I have the 2016 level 1 Volt charger as well hooked to 240v and that got me level2 charging at home for under $400 - bought the charger on Kijiji from a guy out by London for $300 and I spent about $100 wiring the 240v circuit. Made adapter, boom. :)

How are you liking it so far?

I haven't really driven it yet my wife has been she is getting 75 km per charge. I rewired one of the outside plugs on the house to 240 and changed it to a 240 plug. I also made a heavy duty extension cord with a 240 male end to plug the charger into.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

I haven't really driven it yet my wife has been she is getting 75 km per charge. I rewired one of the outside plugs on the house to 240 and changed it to a 240 plug. I also made a heavy duty extension cord with a 240 male end to plug the charger into.

75 km per charge? Is it fully charged as that's kinda low for a Gen 2 (expecting 15-20 km more). Then again, she could be driving it un-efficiently as PP's wife started off doing.

75 km per charge? Is it fully charged as that's kinda low for a Gen 2 (expecting 15-20 km more). Then again, she could be driving it un-efficiently as PP's wife started off doing.
She is doing mostly highway driving 401 so that probably hurts the range

She is doing mostly highway driving 401 so that probably hurts the range

Yep, that hurts it - electrics are the reverse of an ICE car in that they get poorer mileage on the highway vs the city. I can easily get 70KM out of our Gen1 in the city (I could proabably reach 80KM actually with all slow speed in town and no HVAC usage), but on the highway it quickly drops to between 50 and 55KM which is it's advertised range from the factory.

And yes, driving style does matter - if she is using cruise control on the highway that'll help, but if she's a weaver and bobber on the highway, that'll hurt it. ;)

Does the 75KM cover her daily driving or is she into some ICE usage every day as well?

Yep, that hurts it - electrics are the reverse of an ICE car in that they get poorer mileage on the highway vs the city. I can easily get 70KM out of our Gen1 in the city (I could proabably reach 80KM actually with all slow speed in town and no HVAC usage), but on the highway it quickly drops to between 50 and 55KM which is it's advertised range from the factory.

And yes, driving style does matter - if she is using cruise control on the highway that'll help, but if she's a weaver and bobber on the highway, that'll hurt it. ;)

Does the 75KM cover her daily driving or is she into some ICE usage every day as well?
Usually using a bit of gas every day but it is getting 4.5 l per 100km so it doesn't matter much less than a quarter tank a week. Her highlander was getting 13.

Usually using a bit of gas every day but it is getting 4.5 l per 100km so it doesn't matter much less than a quarter tank a week. Her highlander was getting 13.

Yeah, I feel the same way - my wife is still using the ICE daily for her 150KM commute, but even mixed electric/gas it's still achieving better than Prius fuel economy, and is using less than 1/4 the daily gas her old ride was consuming.

Is she a bit geeky and getting into the electric thing, or is she like my wife where she just wants to be able to put it in D and drive it like it was any other normal car?

Yeah, I feel the same way - my wife is still using the ICE daily for her 150KM commute, but even mixed electric/gas it's still achieving better than Prius fuel economy, and is using less than 1/4 the daily gas her old ride was consuming.

Is she a bit geeky and getting into the electric thing, or is she like my wife where she just wants to be able to put it in D and drive it like it was any other normal car?
She just wants to just drive it but it bugs her when it switches to gas as she has to pay for the gas

She just wants to just drive it but it bugs her when it switches to gas as she has to pay for the gas

hahah...well, that's the gateway to becoming someone who looks for public chargers whenever possible and taking full advantage of them. Get her to download the plugshare app on her phone and she may embrace that side of things - my wife has to some extent. Last week I was in the Peterborough area for lunch one day so I met her at the mall and she plugged into the chargers there. 1 hour of free charging yielded her about 15 free KM for the drive home - every little bit helps. ;)

FWIW my wife is now on a 4 day workweek for the summer until the end of August, so I suspect pretty much all the driving around on Fridays will be on electric now. I reset one of the trip odometers yesterday and will observe the effect on the average L/100KM over the next 4 weeks.

I'd wait if I were you, the next 12 months should provide more (better) choices on the market.....

That will be always be true for electronics and EVs. But if you're buying something you can put off for 12 months, why are you buying it?

I'd wait if I were you, the next 12 months should provide more (better) choices on the market.....

12 months? More like 12 years before things are really viable.

12 months? More like 12 years before things are really viable.

Not quite. Tesla has shown that Electric cars are a viable option TODAY.

Tonight, the handouts of the first Model 3s take place.

This car will be a game changer. The Bolt will look like another bad GM atrocity parked beside it.

not gona lie, this thread is slowly pushing me towards an electric car.

I'm not gonna lie, I find that pretty cool. ;)

Tonight, the handouts of the first Model 3s take place.

This car will be a game changer. The Clarity will look like another bad Honda atrocity parked beside it.

Fixed that for you.

Someone in rural Halton has a red Bolt. I've seen it a couple times in the last couple of weeks.

Scuba Steve - the blue looks great on the gen 2 Volt. Nice choice.

Someone in rural Halton has a red Bolt. I've seen it a couple times in the last couple of weeks.

I saw one in the wild last week as well in Red - was very sharp looking.

I still find it crazy that people are waiting months to get their hands on one up here and sell within hours of hitting the lot (Ontario Motor Sales told me they were almost impossible to obtain back during my OnStar/Brake issues thing), yet they are complaining about excessive stock levels at some US dealers.

I almost forgot about this - I unloaded this off an incoming trailer at work last night, headed to the GM testing facility here in town.

boltbattery1.jpg

Yep, that's a brand new Bolt battery in that crate - part number matches. I wanted to open it and look inside but that would probably have been frowned upon unfortunately.

Tesla announced two versions of the Model 3

Base model rated at 220 mi (352 km) range for USD 35,000, and the USD 44,000 version with upsized battery will give a range rated at 310 mi (496 km). That's enough to get to Montreal (in favourable conditions) with just a quick pee break to charge up.

Back
Top Bottom